free hit
counters
Will anybody care if the Bahrain GP does not take place? - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Will anybody care if the Bahrain GP does not take place?

USAndretti42

With the protests spreading through the Arab world from Tunisia to Egypt and beyond there is some doubt that the Bahrain pre-season test or the Grand Prix will take place.

Linky1

Linky2

Linky3

After last year's race which led to a general over-reaction on the part of many to get the rules changes to spice up the show only to be followed by one of the most exciting seasons ever, I, for one, would not be too bothered if the race were not to take place. Presumably something would have to replace it to meet contractual obligations to the sponsors, either moving the race to later in the year or putting in a race somewhere else. Any suggestions?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 2 alternatives, it'll happen, or it won't.

They may be able to relocate a test session but not the GP, it can't be re-scheduled buy the look of the calendar it would be a logistical nightmare.

Australia will run this year but that's on a short life span too, it cost the Victorian tax payer millions every year and has been on short notice for some time.

Time for Burnie to go and talk Buggerupestine into hosting a GP.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Bahrain GP is soooo boring. Few overtaking chances and being relatively high downforce the cars can't get close enough to overtake.

Always loved it when Australia opened the season! Now thats an awesome race and always throws up suprises!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I agree with Neil...that Tilke bloke shoud have been strangled at birth. I find these "new" circuits to be unremittingly dreadful, when compared with the likes of Spa and Monza...even Silverstone's old airfield peri track is better. I hate the huge tarmac "run off" areas which change a race ending accident into a slight delay; the penalty for going "off piste" ought to be exclusion...like at Monaco. Don't want to go back to the days of several fatalities a year, but it's all too sanitised these days...and Bahrein is invariably boring. Wouldn't it be nice if races went to good racetracks and not just where the money is? Alternatively, build tracks that provide good racing and spectacle...that can't be TOO difficult, can it?

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I agree on the new tracks - only watched them and driven them in F1 2010 but they just don't flow and overtaking is a nightmare. The only points they do have is usually a long long straight followed by a hairpin.

Also agree on the run off. It needs to be safe but there should be consequences.

Bahrain GP is soooo boring. Few overtaking chances and being relatively high downforce the cars can't get close enough to overtake.

Always loved it when Australia opened the season! Now thats an awesome race and always throws up suprises!

It may be a bit early to say that, what with the new regulations banning moveable front wings but allowing moveable rear wings. KERS may make a difference too.

Having said that, I would gladly put up with a dull season-opening race if it lead to another season like last year.......

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

It's a Tilke circuit, so great facilities, but always poor races. If it wasn't the first race of the season, I wouldn't have cared a second if the race would not happen. Now it's a bit sad, I'm curious to see the real speed of the different teams.

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

Another Tilke seaside go-kart track.... terrible, terrible designs all of them.

However..... there' s a few folks spent dosh on tickets and a lot of folks ( myself included ), looking forward to the start of the season, I hope it goes ahead but only if it's a trouble tree weekend and that means no trouble, not just a wall of troops surrounding the place. The events in Bahrain last night seem to have taken a very dark turn for the worst.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I hate the huge tarmac "run off" areas which change a race ending accident into a slight delay; the penalty for going "off piste" ought to be exclusion...like at Monaco.

No less a luminary than Sir Jackie Stewart said essentially the same thing in a publication the other week. He was talking about Alonso's race in Abu Dhabi and pointed out that he had gone off course 4 times without suffering any delay and that was not right but there should be some penalty for going off the designated track. I have no idea why, when everyone says that the Tilke tracks are so bad for racing, his organization keeps getting contracts to design new ones.

Mind you, Korea isn't too bad but I think the people who designed Interlagos or Suzuka should be given the job.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Ok Bahrain not happening means Melbourne gets its first gp of the season back! But for FOM it means they lose TV money! For the broadcasters it means potential loss of revenue! Personally I won't miss Bahrain but I'm craving for a Grand Prix!

Bahrain circuit is not exactly in the middle of a city. i would think that the state there can manage to control the airport, hotels and circuit so that there is no disruption.

I'm sure the teams, FIA personnel, TV and reporters booked their several hundred hotel rooms months ago and they are in town. I don't remember seeing an hotels near the track when watching the race on TV. For example, one of the GP2 competitor's hotel was 200m from the main trouble spot.

Aside from the safety issue what about the global image of F1? Can the sport be seen to be rubbing shoulders with a regime that's attracting this sort of global publicity?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12502820

I doubt Bernie's too bothered but what about the team's sponsors?

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Is it just me or is it only Arab countries that support the West that are being destabilised right now? Conspiracy theorists of the world unite!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Well, i think that Libya is having trouble and Algeria has had some unrest. There have been demonstrations in Iran but various members of the opposition have been arrested. I also read that people in Syria are too scared to protest. That sort of thing may have an affect on which countries are affected.

On that point, if the current regime in Bahrain collapses, Iran may lay claim to the country, it having been part of Persia not too long ago. I would imagine that would put paid to the GP.

Here the reports are that it's not extremists but "educated" moderates who are protesting. They want better quality lives and democracies not rooted in Islamic law.

Will they succeed or be usurped by the power mongers and extremists? Hoping they do succeed and ends up like the quick fall of communism a generation ago.

DanR

I can see it now. The ruling family in Bahrain falls, the Iranians move in, and the world's first nuclear powered (but only for peaceful purposes--wink, wink) F1 car take the grid, with Ahmadinejad driving for Team Sharia.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.