free hit
counters
I broke it again - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_John111

I broke it again

Good luck....will be interesting to see what the problem IS!!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Update

Engine and gearbox now out of the car.

Will start to strip it down tomorrow and keep you posted on developments.

John

what could cause that if pistons OK? :unsure:

High boost pressure + weak mixture = high exhaust temperatures = exhaust valves falling apart! Pretty common on many high performance turbo engines.

I don't know the material spec of these valves - are they sodium filled?

We're behind you John, it's women drivers what done it ! :thumbup:

I'll work on plausible reasoning.

Richard,

That was my assumption - I had been overboosting as the wastegate wasn't working.

My theory goes that No 3 is the hottest (urban legend is that the coolant flow around the head is not good for No 3 - and was altered on the later HC head?) so high boost = high temperature = valve breaks - No evidence of valve-piston contact btw.

Yes they are sodium filled and bloody expensive - will only be able to replace the broken one - all 8, I might as well buy Sue a new car.

John

Roger,

You are lucky she is in Turkey at the moment (wonders how far from Turkey to Oz.... hmmm should I tell her before she flies home so she can fly in and give Rog a good spanking?)

Better not , you might enjoy it?

John

Yes the issue is cooling around the exhaust valves in number 3. I remember doing some work on this years ago and due to core shift in this level of casting, it is possible that the flow around the guide on the exhaust valve can be poor, especially on the exhaust manifold side. My Sunbeam has done exactly the same thing, same valve.

Cheers

Ralph

Update

Finally getting on with it (thanks to reasonable weather in the evenings)

Assembled all the bits I need plus some treats for her (car not wife) including new expansion tank and cap (old one leaking at neck) and a stainless exhaust bracket and clamps (not much point having a stainless silencer and rusty straps and a motheaten bracket. Some gear linkage bushes and a new air con compressor (which might make the A/C workable ? (old pump seized)

Obvious ones too, new cambelt and tensioner and all new gaskets. Water pump only replaced 15k miles/2 yrs ago so leaving alone (same for clutch) Oh and a Nice shiny new Exhaust manifold (thanks to the Forum's ''group buy'') and newer extension and a working wastegate(thanks to a good spot on e-bay).

PROGRESS SO FAR :-

(Broken) Valve replaced and lapped in

Others checked and 'decoked' head cleaned up

Bottom end checked - all fine. Sump on and resealed

Exhaust manifold on (find it easier to fit to head whilst the head is 'off the block' - better access to nuts) nice new stainless philidas nuts used.

Head on

Valve shims done (what a pain) - helicoiled some stripped threads. New camshaft oil seals

Front oil seal done.

STILL TO DO

Cambelt and tensioner

Manifold extension and turbo to fit

Attach clutch, flywheel then gearbox

Fit bushes to gear linkage

Then drop in the lump and refit all the rest of the bits

John - is you compressor for R12 or are you converting to R134? (think you may also need new reciever/dryer).

I always 'shim up' with the head off the car its much more bearable as you can do it sitting down in the comfort of your home...

Steve

Steve

Yes it's a r134a compressor. So as you say I'll probably need a new receiver/dryer.

The aircon garage did say they could fix the pipes so that they were compatible with the new gas.

The pump is brand new but 'only' cost £50 on eBay so not too worried if it doesn't work.

What a great tip about the shims! So obvious that I didnt think of it lol

John

Getting on

Engine ready to go back in and this.....

photoam.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

helps!

It's very heavy and a bitch to erect but if any member would like to borrow it they are welcome. I hope not to have to use it again too soon :)

Buying it is hopefully cheaper in the long run than keep hiring one from HSS at £125 per time

John

Edited by Mr_John111

Holy crap! Yup - I'd love to borrow it. Can you ParcelForce it over? :)

Ill try putting a first class stamp on it and leave by the post box

:)

P.s. Seriously though, if you can borrow a long wheelbase transit it will fit

John

Edited by Mr_John111

It's very heavy and a bitch to erect but if any member would like to borrow it they are welcome. I hope not to have to use it again too soon :)

John, you are the master of understatement. My employer has a very similar gantry (except with even sturdier legs) and we had to use it recently for a rather different sort of job. It was left to me to move the parts outside and load them on the truck (a flatbed maybe 3.5 to 4 feet high), unload it and get it into a basement boiler room, and assemble it there. To his credit, my boss did help me dis-assemble it and get it back on the truck...but then I had to unload it myself after getting it beck to the shop. Oh, and I did all this in 90+F temperatures (both inside the boiler room and outdoors with the truck).

I wonder if I'll ever want to see one again when they day comes to pull my engine?

Update...

The 'lump' is in!

on the downhill stretch now :):thumbsup::animier:

forgot the buffer washers on the engine mounts D'oh! :popo:

Still should be able to just raise it up a bit and slip them in :)

Other than that quite a relaxed and precise fit ( but it sure gets to a scary angle to get the gearbox under the boot floor )

John

I've welded those washers to the engine mounts.....cheating again!!! Downhill stretch now....soon be running again....

It's ALIVE!

Just the air con pump to turn through 90 degrees and it's finished

John

Great stuff.......should be running by now!!! Awaiting start up report with bated breath.......

Great stuff.......should be running by now!!! Awaiting start up report with bated breath.......

When I said alive, I meant it's stated and running nicely. Just waiting on tax disc to go out and give it a run.

John

Although just to keep me on my toes, one headlamp is not rising and the fans won't switch on

Nice one Mr_John.....

So is the tax disc putting it's make-up on or something like that?

Phone known garage and book MOT. Quite legal to drive untaxed car to garage for MOT...and back again as long as not dangerous, even if it fails. If you have a garage that knows you, you can explain that you "probably" won't turn up, if you find something amiss en route.......well done with getting to the end of the effort, it's always a good day when the inanimate lump of cold stuff bursts into life.....my boat has had it's first start of the year today, not without having to deal with a flat battery and fitting a convertor that enables a "spin on" oil filter to be fitted......the 1968 Ford pre-crossflow 1200cc engine chuntered away happily to herself....

All done.

Sue took it out tonight.

A few odd jobs to sort out. Speedo to change (current one 'bouncing') headlamp lift motor to fix or replace. Fans - wiring to be checked and resolved. New Air con compressor - remove and cannibalize with old one then refit.

Then that's pretty much perfect again

John