free hit
counters
need help-88 FI turbo won't start - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

need help-88 FI turbo won't start

I removed the engine for overhaul(blown head gasket), and now after the install, it won't start. I think the problem is twofold. First, the fuel pumps won't turn on witout providing a ground signal from boost relay. Found out rpm module is not providing ground signal to boost relay. I am lost after that. Also, I think the initial timing or leads are wrong. I placed the engine on tdc #1, and checked cams/crankshaft/distributor rotor, all seem to be correct. I pulled all the spark plugs, and all were wet with fuel. I think I had the leads hooked wrong because 1 and 4 were wet and sooty, and 2 and 3 were wet and white. Could use a picture of the leads on the distrbutor please!!!!! what else should I check???

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't speak about the injection, mine's carburetted...but the firing order is 1-3-4-2, so if you have the cams aligned properly and the crank at TDC, that ought to be the firing point for No1.....then follow around the distributor cap with the plug leads, 3-4-2 in the direction of rotation of the rotor arm...anti clockwise as viewed from looking at the distributor from the back of the car. Then you should have the right plugs connected to the right distributor contacts! Also the timing will be OK for an initial start, you'll need to get at the beast with a strobe timing light to set it properly. This might help...

http://www.sehlin.com/bildata/lotus/lotus2.htm

Gives the basic settings. Bon chance!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

At least getting sparks at the right time will help...only one problem, now! I have a copy of the Servicing Notes...I think it covers the fuel injected cars...but I've never looked at that stuff. There must be someone out there who has relevant experience....try posting in the Lotus/Motoring/Cars chat bit...refer to your post here...you'll find more people that way!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein