free hit
counters
Later turbo compatability with G car - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_John111

Later turbo compatability with G car

I am not a stickler for originality and so wonder whether the later turbo with integral wastegate will fit Sue's G car. I am not trying to increase power merely improve reliability / avoid overboost.

The issues I think I will face are:

The later turbos are water cooled? So either ignore the water connections or try to splice into the heater pipes.

The exhaust pipe on the G has 4 fixings but the later has 3? So either make a hybrid pipe and keep the original silencer or move to a later silencer ( but will it mount in the same way and is the exit on the correct side?

Will the oil pipes in and out be compatible?

The manifold extension will need to be sealed or replaced with one I think is available without the take off for wastegate.

Will the pipe that feeds the compressed air into the plenum line up?

Anything else?

TIA

John

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

John,

Done exactly as you are thinking but used an S4 manifold and turbo. Taps into the header tak for water return and feed off the inlet manifold are easy. Oil pipes fit no problem as far as I recall. SJ do new exhaust pipes to connect to your silencer. Boost pipe needs to be shortened a little and is marginally off line. You will need a about £1500 tough. Difference is noticeable but I had no complaints about how it went before.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Is there a manifold extension that replaces the wastegate adapter piece, or do you need to replace the manifold + wastegate adapter?

I'm in a similar boat John. Engine coming out for a bit of an inspection - I have 1 holy piston! While it's out I want to do a few mods which don't drastically change the car but improve it's reliability.

Yes, there is a (rare) manifold extension available for use without the external wastegate. However, the later manifolds are longer to do away with it altogether...

At the moment I'm creating a turbocharger update for the Esprit with integrated wastegate and by-pass valve,

It can be used for more power + 300hp but I can also create a unit more suitable for 200 -> 270 hp range.

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

This all sounds like great stuff, and WAY too expensive for my budget...right now I'm just trying to figure out how to adapt a wastegate actuator to the external 'gate for less than the $320 that I was quoted for a new wastegate diapragm.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad