free hit
counters
Hello from Finland - Introductions - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Hello from Finland

Jussi

Hello from Finland! Just joining to forum. I bought my Esprit last autumn.

Before I wasn't very keen on Esprits but when I saw this car on HistoricCarShow here in Hameenlinna... and the prize was reasonable. Seller was my friend's friend, so my friend was very eager to arrange the deal.

I sold my racecar to get the Lotus, I had Citroen AxSport (groupA over150hp.), that was a streetcar but very stressful to use.

I'm planning to some engine/gearbox fixes to Lotus in the future. Second gear seems to be stiff (yep Citroen gearbox). But in this summer just driving with the car, we just planning to make some front suspension fixes.

I can show some pics when I take the car from garage when it's warmer (thinking in this month).

Hope you can help me to get some parts to my car, cause here in Finland there aren't any (I think Esprit turbos exist about 4 here in Finland, not sure).

In everyday car I have a Peugeot 206CC (I'm member of http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk in UK).

Now I'm very keen on Esprits, particularly this model fascinates me. Before I was planning to sell my racecar to get Corvette 68-72, but now when I got Esprit no such a dreaming anymore ;) If there is something what I want Esprit to have is more sound, I mean sound like a racecar...but thats it, awesome car.

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Jussi,

There's plenty of 'G' Men here who I'm sure will be more than happy to put you in the right direction.

You should drop a few of your questions into the 'G' Technical Room.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

;) Hello fellow member from a frozen climate! :D Jussi, its Wayne from Canada(fellow Giugiaro Esprit owner) Please post some more info about your car, I am interested to see how it looks, will try and help any way I can, Wayne 83 Turbo
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Thanks for warm welcoming ;)

The car is USA-model, I remembered when I was younger (somewhere early 90's or late -80's). Some guy here in Hameenlinna brought it when he came from UN, don't remember where he was. Car was pretty sensational at that time here in town (I think it still is) This guy owned it some time, car was couple years in garage and then he sold it. This new owner owned it just 2years and then my friends friend bought it and kept it couple years and now I'm the owner :D .

Car is actually -84 according to VIN-code, just checked (model year). Sorry I can't even remember how much it's got in clock :D but it wasn't much...

I have some bad pictures which I took last autumn, I put some pictures in gallery section after a while.

hello,

welcome .I been working for Sally Ferries many years , we built with my World manadger in 90' a special

Lotus Beaujolais with 20 Esprit SE red and one white and the lorry team Lotus yellow crossing right the Channel with Sally.

the benefit was for children in Osmond hospital , if I remenber well .

I think you must be a Champion to drive an Esprit on snow road and on ice Lake

best regard's

ukrocketcar

"Aut tace aut loquere meliora silentio" Salvator Rosa when 25 years old National Gallery London

I think you must be a Champion to drive an Esprit on snow road and on ice Lake

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I'm not a Champion ;) Esprit "sleeps" wintertime. However last autumn was so special that I droved it even at the end of october. It was pretty cold about -5celsius and heater didn't worked. When I take it to the garage it was snowing :D

Just added 6 poor pics to gallery-section. I promise to take better ones, when I get Esprit from garage :D

And I found one picture where you can see counter, it showed 57 256miles.

Edited by Jussi

;) Thats a gorgeous car! I ran your v.i.n. and it was originally sold new in the U.S.(50 states) I can see the bumpers and mirrors have been painted(originally black)and the side marker lights were removed and the holes filled. The interior looks retrimmed also (Federal cars had black dashes to stop reflections in the windscreen) and the full leather seats were all one colour. Does it still have all the emission control stuff on it?(cat,air pump etc)? Wayne 83 Turbo B)
SUNP0003-1.jpg

:D Thats a gorgeous car! I ran your v.i.n.  and it was originally sold new in the U.S.(50 states) I can see the bumpers and mirrors have been painted(originally black)and the side marker lights were removed and the holes filled. The interior looks retrimmed also (Federal cars had black dashes to stop reflections in the windscreen) and the full leather seats were all one colour. Does it still have all the emission control stuff on it?(cat,air pump etc)?  Wayne 83 Turbo B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no cat, did it have? How's that air pump works? That's somekind of antipollution thing or what? Yep it was repainted couple of years ago, but I remembered when it came to Finland it has red bumpers (or was I wrong hmm.)

My friend repairs my cars, so I haven't so much knowledge (he's the same guy who's friend sold the car to me). My friend for instance rebuild my racecar (several times). When he was younger he raced a lot and build racecars (rally, motortrack and so on).

I like the interior color theme, I thought it was originally that kind (red/white).

In Finland (in that time when car has arrived) those side markers were illegal, so when you bought car from abroad you have to remove them.

I have learnt a much today ;) I thought the car was pretty original but it isn't :D

Hmm. and I thought it's so original that we couldn't do with it nothing... now I'm starting to think that engine-fix...what if we make some tuning to it :D

:D Its snowing over here (again) so lots of time to post! ;) The emissions equipment that came on your car(federal) was Catalytic converter( fits between turbo and muffler) Air pump(on back of engine ,driven by belt from exhaust cam)vacuum advance/ retard on distributor , vacuum operated flap valve in inlet from turbo etc You also have the larger dellorto 45 dhla carbs. When I got my Esprit, I realised most of this stuff had been removed/disconnected(poorly) causing the engine to run not as good as I felt it should have (with210 bhp) I eventually found he had removed the vacuum advance unit from the distributor, and the baseplate was free to move freely causing wild fluctuations in timing! Have your mechanic check all this stuff for peace of mind! Also make sure you have a Lotus oil filter(not aftermarket cr@p) It has an anti-drainback valve to prevent it emptying when the engine is shut off. Not having this will result in bearing failure (low oil pressure)If you can remove the cat(if local law allows) you will find it will run/sound a lot better! :D Hope you find this usefull Wayne83 Turbo
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Thanks WayneB!

I think all that emissions equipment had took off, but we will check that when I take the car out of the garage. I think it's serviced well (cause I know who owned it before). We tried to take oilfilter off last autumn but don't succeeded with it... I bought aftermarket filter but we don't changed it. I have one shop here in finland which can order some parts. I will ask if he could order proper oilfilter to me.

Oil (Valvoline racing 20W50) we changed before I took it to garage. And gearbox oil we changed (that proper castrol oil (for Esprit's), which name I don't remember now...)

Weather here in Finland is very spring ;) snow had almost gone but it's very dusty...so couple of weeks and Lotus hit the streets :D

Hi,

Thank you for your answer about the winter garage for your esprit.

a picture of sally Finland ferry company with Lotus 90' in the following with my welcome first mail.

cordialement votre.

ukrocketcar

"Aut tace aut loquere meliora silentio" Salvator Rosa when 25 years old National Gallery London

Hi,

Thank you for your answer about the winter garage for your esprit.

a picture of sally Finland ferry company with Lotus 90' in the following with my welcome first mail.

cordialement votre.

ukrocketcar

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sally Finland ferry company? sorry now I'm not understand... you mean in early 90's there were so many Esprits in Finland's ferry going where?

I apologized my bad english or if I misunderstood something.

Btw. just talked with my "mechanic" he remembered that my car has still atleast that air pump ;) WayneB can you give detailed instructions how to get properly rid of all those emission equipment? It's legal here to take them away from car.

Edited by Jussi

hi ,

sorry :

this company was crossing between Ramsgate Uk and Dunkirk France.And the lot of Lotus on picture take inthe terminal in France was coming from Hethel.

Regards

ukrocketcar

Hi,

1.The Lotus Esprits group taken in France at Dunkirk Sally Terminal Ferries.

2. For your information I joined a picture of an Esprit like yours and "brand new " when the photo was made in 1989 by me near Canterbury UK .

I mentioned earlier about Esprit's sound. We were today at local car dealer (who sells: BMW,Citroen,Mercedes-Benz and Opel). There was Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG (waiting for submitting to client). New owner came and start the engine! Wow that sound was amazing (V12), it was something like airplane B)

Yep it was a nice car but costs here 363000euros :) that's a lot money... I think I've never forget that sound B) that kind of sound should be in Esprit.