free hit
counters
Group Lotus Website - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Group Lotus Website

http://www.lotuscars.com

What do you think? Any good? Rubbish? What would you do to make it better and easier to use?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bibs,

On first impressions it seems very bland when you first open up the page, white background does not look good, especially with sharp crisp pictures mixed and matched all over the place

personally would make it look a bit more invieting with maybe a mild green background, better placed photos and a system that is a bit easier to navigate,

Well thats my two pence other than that its all good :getmecoat:

Regards danny

A

Messy,

Compare it to Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Ferrari or Lamborghini for a start they are all very clean and ooze class.

I'm no webdesigner, but it needs tweaking

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Far too much going on.

I also hate having to scroll web pages... if it can't be fit in the size of a screen, then link to another page.

It wouldn't be so bad if that was the second page you get to, after some sort of branded splash page at the main URL.

Looks disorganised, too much white. Having key links in a bar in the middle is in the wrong place.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Pages/Home.aspx

http://www.porsche.com/uk/

http://www.astonmartin.com/

for comparison.

Non of them are imaginative, but very functional.

I don't see too much wrong with it. Not a problem for me having to scroll down.....

I tend to only think a website is bad if I can't find what I am looking for, broken links or if text is too small to read. None of those problems here.

Agreed though that it is quite "plain", and judging by all the razzamatazz of recent months the website looks like it had a small slice of the budget,

I do not know whether it is my firefox, but if I scroll to the bottom of the page, it jumps back to the middle every time the top advert/gif changes.

The old site was better IMO, it's too cluttered and looks unorganised. :thumbdown:

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Cluttered, If I were a Porsche owner and found myself there, I am not entirely sure what I would think. As an enthusiast I have preconcieved ideas as to what Lotus is, but I no not believe that site gives a brand image

Is it:

A clothing store / renault F1 fan site / engineering company site / media gallery / art site?

I would lose the whole group lotus top buttons and scrolling banner - this is the lotuscars site, keep those to group.

If I wanted to spec up a £60K evora, i would be a bit miffed that it is not on the front page, just the half price sport racer there. By association, I would put the most expensive/exclusive on the front, and drill down to the model you can afford - you then associate yourself with the best, not the cheapest ("I dont want that, I want to pay more" - is not a good feeling to give)

And used car allocator is crap - look for a S1 and it gives 16 cars, not one of them an S1

Crap, in all honesty, I cannot seam to see the top of the page, its not very exciting is it. Considering the fantastic cars Lotus now sell, the site should be exciting, memorable and make you want to buy.

All it does for me is make me think of Ebay. Not the right image for a Famous brand.

Dave

Wot Tony sed.

Additionally, it seems more like what one would expect from a website for a Yank electronics discount merchant than for a high-end sports car maker.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Regarding only the the front page sequence, given that the site address is for "Lotus Cars", and presumably has the primary intent to interest viewers in the same, wouldn't it be an idea to show the cars on offer in pride of place? So, after the opening screen itself, the sequence should be Evora, Elise, F1 and lastly, if they must - and I would leave it to a second level - the "fashion page".

And re the opening screen itself I support previous comments: there is too much white around it; and the horizontal menu in the centre is unusual and looks cheap and casual. Overall it lacks style and any meaningful representation of "Lotusness". The need to represent the current Geneva presence is necessary but temporary. That should clearly appear as an "extra for now" addition, adding to the permanent initial screen - which should not carry a lot of detail.

Just represent (in basic terms here, unless someone offers money!): The Unique Driving Experience - Make A to A as Good as A to B. (If Lotus use that, I want money - or a new Esprit.)

Also the background pics should indicate "Performance" and "Road and Track". And bury the fashion - at least to a sub menu.

M

Having done a lot of web development--particularly redesigns--I think they would have done well to read the excerpt below, from one of the classics of web design.

Don\'t Make Me Think (usability extract).pdf

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

What are you getting Paul, any error or just a blank screen. I've just tried on an iPhone which is Opera based and it's ok on that.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I do not know whether it is my firefox, but if I scroll to the bottom of the page, it jumps back to the middle every time the top advert/gif changes

Yes, the developers didn't sort out the scrolling carousel at the top. If you click pause on it, then you won't get this.

It's not great but not that bad either. I agree the white background doesn't work. I always loved Audi's website - has great graphics and a classy look and feel.

What are you getting Paul, any error or just a blank screen. I've just tried on an iPhone which is Opera based and it's ok on that.

Bibs - see attached picture. Running Opera 11.01

I can click on the box that says "image" and that takes me through to the website which then displays fine.

Edited by esprit s2

I feels like a good fan or a magazine website than a corporate car sales one.

Too much real estate taken up at the top with the rotating adverts.

Also broadband only I see - the main image is 500k and the page weighs in at over 2mb. Thats a fair old chunk for your probable first home page with the user.

To compare with the audi one, it comes in at 400k

Oh for the love of... Bibs- tell them to turn on compression. They are using apache and it's a one liner config change. Why pay for stuff you don't have to use and make your pages load slower?

I don't like the fact that the "cars" link on the top nav doesn't do anything (it's actually a link to the home page). Given the massive size of the main image you probably have to scroll down to see the cars. Even an named anchor tag would help here but would be better off going to "http://www.lotuscars.com/en/lotus-range" (thats a better page - more focused and less going on).

The fact the media link is the first tells you who it's aimed at ;-) Even worse that it takes you offsite.

Not sure I like the split nav bars - the main one above the big image and a second context one below... The large main image on the home page even makes it look like a footer nav.

Paul - Can you check on the zoom (bottom right) that you're set to show images?

Evora NA

I can confirm I am set up to show images.

Don't know if this is important or not but when I click on the lick a new tab opens up (obviously) and this is where I get the "image" box and nothing else, but, this tab (as in thelotusforums page) goes straight to the lotuscars website no problems.

Show images is set up in the new tab that is created.

Hope that makes sense!

Now?

Evora NA