free hit
counters
Gear lever centering spring - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Gear lever centering spring

Hey all,

I found out why my ger lever was reluctant to crentre the spring in the lever mechanism is broken!

DSC01367.jpg

Any ideas where I can get a new one? The parts catalogue only lists the whole assembly for £450!

Thanks

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diagram, picture ? I only ask because I find it too strong, I'd like it about half that strength, now if it's easy I'd think about a change, but I suspect not.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Thanks guys, I shall put that on my future maybe list. Every time I look at that linkage I just can't figure out how you get it out. :no

It seems bigger than hole to get it through.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I'm starting to think this spring is not genuine, the prongs appear to be crossed not parallel as per the diagram.

I've asked Lotus if they can provide one, and I'm exploring motorbike gearchange springs...

I think the prongs are crossed under no tension but parallel when in situ, that's what gives it it's springiness.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Rich, if in your investigations you come across a spring about half standard strength let me know.

I'm actually curious as to what yours was like with a broken spring, I'd be tempted to take mine out, if it's not going to anything silly.

Hard to say as the rear pivot bit (With the bolt through it) was seized almost solid as well, took a hammer and screwdriver to seperate them even though it's jsut a plastic bush.

The crossgate was truely awful but it's probably that bush.

I suspect now it was the bush seizing that broke the spring. It was caused by corrosion of the spigot that does into it and a lack of lube.

It's now all polished up and lubed for good measure just need to find a spring...

I would imagine that the gearbox self centring woud not be enough on it's own, the drag of the cables would be too great.

Mine basically didn't self centre as it was too stiff and it was perfectly drivable, however, with no spring at all I'd fear it would flop about too much.

I've orderd a couple of likely looking bits of motorbike (£2 each so no great problem!) so I'll report back when they turn up, in the meantime I might have found an entire replacement linkage instead.

"suppose you don't want to do a "How to" on how to get the assembly out do you ? It looks like one of those "Lotus" jobs.

A previous owner has modified the assembly to allow removal of the lever bits (Just!) by cutting 2 slots in the surround so it's still in for now....

Bit of an update.

I managed to make this spring work:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270704742262&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It needed tweaking to strighten the legs a little but it does fit. Fiddly to get in place (I didn't remove the lever assembly) but it works.

Witht he back end disconnected it returned to pretty much centre. With the box connected and adjusted it centres much better.

Removing the gear lever I found that if you remove the reverse baulk block you can tip the lever forward and undo the allan bolt ont he rear then tip the lever back and slide it forward off the spigot.

Putting it all back I found I had to adjust the gear cables quite a lot, seemed strange adn nothing should have changed....

Rich

"Ended" and no picture. :no and I was interested as there might have been a weaker alternative.

post-1-0-31459600-1300101031_thumb.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Business cards are usually 85mm x 55mm.

Evora NA

You know, I took the ratio on the screen against the business card and made it approximately 20mm, so I'm quite proud of myself. :D is it a good fit, no dramas ?

It's akward to fit with the lever in the car as you have to fit it to the lever then work the lever left to right trying to hook the pin with the leg.

Hard to describe but it makes more sense once you have a look.

It took quite a few goes and a bit of levering with small screwdrivers to get it fitted. Just a test of patience really!

Hopefully I can test it on the road this week once I get it runnign again...

The problem is the legs need to be close together as the pins are only about 5mm if the legs are further apart then you'll have slop around the centre.

• 4 months later...

My centering spring failed too but in a different place, at about 12 o'clock (I couldn't find the missing piece in the chassis). I tried the same motorcycle spring but found it was slightly too wide and fouled the sides of the mechanism giving a very unsatisfactory action. I ended up getting a spring manufacturer to duplicate the original for me based upon what was left of mine and Richard's photo.

post-6142-0-26451800-1311935847.jpg

Quite easy to fit once you have been there a few times :lol: By leaving one of the spherical bearing bushes in the lever and the other one on the ball joint you can pop the ball into the bush and then slide the other bush into the other lever. The spring itself can be opened wide enough to sit one leg to the side of the pin so as to not interfere with the other pin when assembling the unit. Once it's all together the leg can be flicked into the correct place with a thin screwdriver.

There was a minimum quantity requirement so I now have a few spare that I can sell if any one needs one (pm me for details).

Edited by sailorbob