free hit
counters
Gear lever centering spring - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Gear lever centering spring

It's just a bit of bent piano wire....any old time aeromodeller could make one of those inside half an hour, and most of that would be producing a bending jig! I think it's always worth having a go at making these sort of parts....something anyone could manage, and probably the quickest way to fix it.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's just a bit of bent piano wire....any old time aeromodeller could make one of those inside half an hour

More easily said than done. What about stress relieving afterwards? Or if it is music wire (are they made from this? I cannot tell) how do you de-embrittle it afterwards? It's why I left it to a company who makes them.

I find the standard one too stiff, I'd like something with less torsion, but it means taking it out for a pattern to get another one made, seams like a lot of aggravation.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

It's just a bit of bent piano wire....any old time aeromodeller could make one of those inside half an hour, and most of that would be producing a bending jig! I think it's always worth having a go at making these sort of parts....something anyone could manage, and probably the quickest way to fix it.

I bought music wire to do it but it's very hard to do accurately. The trouble was getting the coils consistent so they would fit.

Also the final bends are tight. they clearly could be made but not easily!

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers