free hit
counters
Tension on V8 (918) Cam-belt - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lasse

Tension on V8 (918) Cam-belt

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi all!

I'm wondering if anybody could tell me what what the tension that produces 95-120Hz corresponds to in lb so that I could check the belt tension using a Burroughs gauge instead.

Best Regards/ Lasse

"Somebody" gave me a hint that the tension should probably be around 160 lb. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

//Lasse

Hi all!

I'm wondering if anybody could tell me what what the tension that produces 95-120Hz corresponds to in lb so that I could check the belt tension using a Burroughs gauge instead.

Best Regards/ Lasse

I've used a clavis and a krikit on the 4cylinder (at the same time to compare readings). But I haven't heard of a krikit derived spec for the V8.

However, it is possible to make your own clavis using a computer with a soundcard, a microphone, and some free software. There is also some PDA software that could be used to record and analyze the resonant frequency of the belt.

Here is the PDA version that should work.

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail....associateid=302

Sorry I don't have the links for the free software, but other have done it.

You could also use an oscilliscope (a good digital one can trigger to the frequency and then you can measure the distance between peaks) and a microphone, or a laser doppler vibrometer (I've done that, but they cost $20,000)

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I've used a clavis and a krikit on the 4cylinder (at the same time to compare readings).  But I haven't heard of a krikit derived spec for the V8.

However, it is possible to make your own clavis using a computer with a soundcard, a microphone, and some free software.

Here's a good program for this purpose:

TuneIt

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages