free hit
counters
Why should men have to lower the toilet seat? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Why should men have to lower the toilet seat?

We all know it's polite for the male to lower the toilet seat after a tiddle. Why is this? Women seem to think it's a great imposition upon them to have to put it down for them to use it but don't consider it a problem for the man to have to lift it, do what he has to do and then lower it again. Why is this? The man using the toilet isn't going to get the seat dirty unless his aim is so bad he shouldn't be allowed out on his own so it's not a hygiene issue.

Makes no sense to me.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience men have a poor aim (hence I have linoleum on my bathroom floor).

May I suggest that you actually sit on the seat after the said 'tiddle' and check. You might get a wet surprise!!

I've been saying this for years!!

Lets face it, we men arnt ones for abrupt and sweping change.

If women were to leave the seat up, it wouldnt get wet - solved!

Plus, it would give another excuse for a bit of a moan so - everybody happy!

Wait for it...... :unsure:

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Gee, I'm a bachelor and I keep the seat down, what's more if I have a lady visitor I make sure the toilet is clean. :yes:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

You shouldn't just lower the seat you should lower the lid before flushing. Not out of courtesy to any ladies that may have to use the loo after you but for hygiene reasons.

seat and lid is down ..an my 'bachelors-bathroom' is cleaned every time im in there.. but that doesn't help much on all the stuff girls expect and want from a men. Would say sometimes it even looks like girls want to have something to rant about it ..othervise the guy is just not interesting enough, so to be a gentleman with gentleman behaiviour doesn't help in all cases !

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I come from a rather large family...it was an even split with 5 girls and 5 boys. Needless to say everyone of us boys to this day still puts the seat back down, even in our own places. That is in partial thanks to an event one early morning. Near the age of 9 I awaoke and used the bathroom, leaving the seat up. For some unknown reason my second oldest sister went to the bathroom and not turning the light on went into the toilet. Angrily she woke up my other two older sisters and they went on a witch hunt. Well it was discovered I was the culprit and I immediately was dragged to the bathroom whereupon my head was dunked into the bowl ( keep in mind that American toilets hold much more water in most designs than European toilets ). Having my head held there while they flushed the toilet three times. My dad heard the toilet running and flushing and all the commotion and came to see what was happening. Much to my chagrin when he asked what was going on and heard the reasoning for it he just looked at me and said, " Kid, you are on your own. " He turned around and walked back to his bedroom...lesson learned...from that day on I always put the seat down after I go to the bathroom.

Years later I was in Ciudad Victoria, Tamaulipas Mexico recanting the story to the Architecto of the one project I was working on. Guillerimo was also one of ten children. However he was the last and the only boy...via the interpreters he started to laugh...his comment about our experiences with lots of sisters was, " He never puts the seat down...to this day he still seats down to pee..."

Then of course there is a fate worse than not lowering the seat back down and that is the guy who never raises the seat to begin with on unisex toilets. Obviously he's in a rush to get back to the bar!!! :devil:

mmm, yes, I like the toilet seat and lid down for hygiene but I always wanted the lid down in Ecuador to prevent nasty creepy crawlies biting my bottom...

... fair to say though some of the toilets were, well, shall we say quite natural.

I seem to remember seeing or reading something about the spray of a toilet so the lid needs to be down when flushed and your toothbrush should be at least 6ft away from the bowl - who has an ensuite?.

Nothing to do with the great male / female divide but quite frankly Christopher, your sisters were a bit harsh!

I am mildly surprised this thread hasn't turned into more of a poo thread.

:horse: That's the second time I've used this emoticon this evening! X

post-1-039744300201278592955.jpg

Another batchelors view - seat down all the time, lid up. Mainly becuase the seat won't actually stay up.

Not quite sure why this is the issue it actually is, you'd think we'd have more important stuff to think about. But it's not the guys that moan about it.........!

mmm, yes, I like the toilet seat and lid down for hygiene but I always wanted the lid down in Ecuador to prevent nasty creepy crawlies biting my bottom...

... fair to say though some of the toilets were, well, shall we say quite natural.

I seem to remember seeing or reading something about the spray of a toilet so the lid needs to be down when flushed and your toothbrush should be at least 6ft away from the bowl - who has an ensuite?.

In the book "The Secret House" which is a book about all the science behind everyday things like how quickly air sneezed out travels, there is a mention of the spray from a toilet flushing travelling quite some distance from the toilet. I forget how far it said but I remember being surprised at how far it was.

However, I have never been told by a female that this is why I should lower the seat and haven't been asked to lower the lid.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Surely girls have enough to do without having to lower the seat.

Us guys are just big fat lazy slobs, who do no work about the house and only get off our arses to fetch the tv remote or another beer from the fridge.

Please guys, give these hard working unsung heroes a break. They deserve all the praise we can heap on them.

That's how it seems in my home anyway

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Why are you fetching the remote, or another beer ? Don't you have a wife. :sofa:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

No Roger, that's why you don't have a wife :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Now that's cool :rofl:

Bibs I neither drink beer nor watch television, obviating the need for a wife.

Is it just the same 18" of plastic going round and around? :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Is it just the same 18" of plastic going round and around?

:sick: You have a sick mind, and I salute you for it.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

I was amazed by the electronic controls in the toilets in Japan when I was there three years ago. Like Captain Kirk's chair or something, and equally as befuddling trying to figure out what all those buttons did.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad