free hit
counters
Safest country to live in... - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Safest country to live in...

Given recent events around the world I started to think about where in the world to live to avoid natural disasters:

Japan - no - earthquakes and Tsunamis

In fact anywhere around the pacific is prone to Tsunamis/earthquakes - Indonesia, Philipines, etc

New Zealand - no - earthquakes

Australia - no - fires, floods

USA - no - fires, floods, hurricanes, tornados

Just a few there to get started

So any ideas??

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Antartica. It's just really cold and there are not many people there, so even if there is a natural disaster, no-one's going to find out.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

If you find one safe from natural disasters, it will probably be riddled with political / religious unrest.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Spot on GKP. Beat me to it.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Wasn't thinking of moving, just curious about where would be the safest.

The UK isn't immune to bad weather - snow, wind, floods

Just wondered if there was anywhere that doesn't have any problems like that.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Oh. You didn't mention snow. I suppose that rules out Antarctica

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Given recent events around the world I started to think about where in the world to live to avoid natural disasters:Japan - no - earthquakes and TsunamisIn fact anywhere around the pacific is prone to Tsunamis/earthquakes - Indonesia, Philipines, etcNew Zealand - no - earthquakesAustralia - no - fires, floodsUSA - no - fires, floods, hurricanes, tornadosJust a few there to get startedSo any ideas??

I think it's pretty hard to use a wide paintbrush concerning natural events for something the size of the US for example. There may be many other reasons for not living in an particular area, but I can't remember any earthquakes above 2.0, hurricanes, or much in the way of tornadoes in these parts. (Certainly no Tsunamis). I think it comes down to what "floats your boat" and you live with the rest. (high taxes relative to the rest of the country is one of the things we live with in this neck of the woods), Of course when the super volcano under Yellowstone finally decides to blow its top again, the whole world will be screwed.

Trust Yogi bear and Boo Boo will be given plenty of notice to evacuate.

Life without those guys just wouldn't be the same

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Here.

Beautiful countryside, stunning beaches and it is all on your doorstep. No nasty weather and if the people are pants, you don't have to talk to them.

I like living here. I love going to new places but it is good to come home. X

post-1-039744300201278592955.jpg

i'm like louise, i love it here, except i don't really enjoy going other places, nothing against the people or anything, but I just don't like foreign holidays, it even takes persuation to leave the county, at least for myself. Its always the people at the other end that make me travel..(out of this county)!

having said that I do want to visit Wales at some point..

The area in North America around the Great Lakes tends to be pretty safe. There are occasional earthquakes, but most tend to be in the 2.0 range and shake the ground so little that people don't even notice them. There can be some severe precipitation -- wicked thunderstorms, and occasionally hail or ice storms -- but not the kinds of catastrophes that leave people injured and homeless.

We just had the worst ice storm I've ever seen, about three weeks ago. Huge trees down everywhere. Cleanup is still ongoing -- lots of huge piles of branches still everywhere. Damage to peoples rooftops, fences, etc. We got lucky -- no huge branches fell on our house -- but there was a lot of cleanup to do.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Not bad where I am at the moment. No earthquakes, occasional strongish winds.....the Loire can flood,but I have the canal embankment between me and that! Do have a nuclear power station just down the road...but the French are competent engineers and technicians so I'm not worried. Also have my supply of Iodine tablets to hand...1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The area in North America around the Great Lakes tends to be pretty safe. There are occasional earthquakes, but most tend to be in the 2.0 range and shake the ground so little that people don't even notice them. There can be some severe precipitation -- wicked thunderstorms, and occasionally hail or ice storms -- but not the kinds of catastrophes that leave people injured and homeless. We just had the worst ice storm I've ever seen, about three weeks ago. Huge trees down everywhere. Cleanup is still ongoing -- lots of huge piles of branches still everywhere. Damage to peoples rooftops, fences, etc. We got lucky -- no huge branches fell on our house -- but there was a lot of cleanup to do.

Yes, Tony. ice storms. Forgot about those. They are pretty rare as the conditions have to be just right.There was a bad one here in '91 which had people living with relatives, etc for a week until the power came back .I moved here in '93 and while house hunting I saw a few neighborhoods where the trees were devastated. It was very spotty though, and no damage where I finally bought my home. I do have an emergency generator, just in case, but I've never needed to use it (just test it each year and I'll be very happy if indeed I never need to use it). The times we are without power usually is under 6 hours max, not enough to bother firing up the generator. (if I had a regular pilot light , not a glow plug ignition, the 200 W DC to AC converter I have is more than enough to power the fan on the gas furnace using a car battery (less than a 60 W light bulb in energy). Alas the glow plug is several hundred watts for like 20 seconds.

Edited by comem47

I would have thought that much of France and Spain meet your requirements, no earthquakes, tsunami, snow, floods. I thought Ohio had tornadoes and some pretty fierce thunderstorms but please correct me if i am wrong. Canada is pretty safe but snow is inevitable in most of it and, where it doesn't get so cold such as Vancouver, you are back in earthquake country.

As some of said, Britain is pretty benign, some small earthquakes, the occasional flood or strong winds, sometimes a bit nippy but generally pretty temperate. That is, as long as the Gulf Stream doesn't move south.

Italy has a few earthquake spots in the north and is a bit too warm in the south.

Mind you, Argentina never makes the news so I suppose it's pretty safe there.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE