free hit
counters
My New Classic Porsche - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

My New Classic Porsche

Nice one Paul on the purchase :thumbsup:

Great looking car, I saw someone out in one of the early targas the other day it looked stunning really nice exhaust note aswell, I personally thing they are a great car and definatly worth the money that people pay for them, the build quality is awesome. My old 911 had the fuch wheels they are the lightest road wheel i have ever picked up to this day!

Enjoy the car and may you have many happy motoring miles in her, fast,sleek motoring and you can still get passengers in the back :thumbup:

Regards danny

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Lovely change, but so different from Lotus feel, driving it is like wrestling a chimp."

Can you describe the difference a bit closer please... Never drove an classic Porsche - so would be interestet in the differences - especially compared to the SE - of course :thumbup:

It shares the (non PAS) SE heavy steering, in fact the wheel is much harder to turn at slow or stationary speeds. Both cars have bugger all in the front, the porsche has oil coolers, the Esprit has an aircon rad, a chargecooler rad and a coolant rad, but the porsche is heavier, maybe due to the metal body or the fact the fuel tank is up there too.

The gearbox is really nice, it's the 915 and not the 'must have' G50 unit, but it's very positive. It only really likes first when stationary but if you read up thats correct, and 2nd covers from standing to 40mph which makes town driving easy.

Handling is not a patch on the Elise, thats the best handling car i've ever owned. i don't think it's as forgiving as the esprit but thus far i've only felt it slipping once and that was on a shitty road to be fair.

100mph + and it's the most comfortable car i've had. road noise is almost non exsistant, and sound proofing makes a conversation easy. The seats are very cosy.

Driving position is odd. I'm short legged and this is an issue here.The seat is so far forward that a 6ft'er has enough leg room to sit behind me. The steering wheel is massive and i'm sat up like a bus driver, lock to lock is much greater too, feels like almost one turn more than the Elise/esprit.

Clutch is hard, as is the brake pedal.

Acceleration is superb and while an N/A it feels as good as my SE turbo, but perhaps at 140 the SE would have it.

:)

The big plus is the character, it's like nothing i have ever driven and was exactly the change i was looking for. I feel EXACTLY how i did the first weekend i got my S3 esprit back in the late 90's.

It will take many miles to get used to it.

:D

Nice one you Germanic sausage muncher :)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Paul joins many others in retraining as a hairdresser.

Anyway, Nice Beetle Paul!

BAH!!!! What can I say, I've test driven a Caymen and a 996 recently, in my hunt for a new play things!

My issue against all of you is that your father won't cut you out of your will if you buy a Porker or Ferrari! Apparantly I can have a Lambo (but can't afford one!).

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Stop test driving the new gay 'lady owner' porsches mate!

Go drive an SC or a 3.2, you don't have to have cup holders and driver aids, my money is you would love it, right? Thats what you are really scared of isn't it mate?

I'm just off to pick up mine from service and MOT, then a drive maybe...

:P

Cool. The big 12,000 mile service, a few bits here and there and an MOT for £700, not too bad.

Sourced some near mint original Fuchs too, which makes it the exact "Red, Coupe, 3.0 or 3.2, whale tail, Fuchs. impact bumpers" i said i wanted on the first page of this thread.

rsz_dsc02847.jpg

Next to the bodyshop for a bit of TLC.

It's nice to have something old and interesting again, it really is exactly like when i got my '83 Esprit, finding out about a car i don't know, discovering it's quirks etc.

It is Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the change i needed i cannot tell you.

Just catching up, congrats and a really nice looking car. Much better on the Fuchs too. You taking me out at the weekend?

Hopefully mate!

Providing i'm legal to drive, if not i'll get in the back and Vic can take us out.

By the way, i have absolutely no idea how to pronounce 'Fuchs' other than the rude obvious i'm guessing its 'foossh' or something?

Much nicer sitting on the Fuchs PC.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Guest surferphil

Porches really arent my thing, I never understood why they were so iconic and why they were so desired or why they had a BBQ on the boot, but I understand the feeling of getting a (now classic) car you have always wanted.

Looking at your pictures it reminds me of the cars I really love and the retro interior which seemed a world away when we were kids, that have a strange magic about them. Alif mabrouk!!

• 4 months later...

I had a few 964's and like them, my keeper Porsche however is a 993.

Christ how right are you!!!

This car i amazing.

The very last of the air cooled cars, 3.6 and 6 speed, the nicest gearbox i've ever had and cracking power delivery. It would be nice if i could afford to own more than one car but i can't. Truely the bestest thing i've done for years is go to the sportscar sweetshop, not do the same again, and try another flavour. I have suprised myself.

500rsz_dsc03310.jpg

500rsz_1dsc03308.jpg

500rsz_dsc03313.jpg

500rsz_dsc03320.jpg

993 owner. Thank f**** grandma is not alive to see it.

I just see this...

300px-Me109_G-6_D-FMBB_1.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

What the fcuk?????

What happened to the good old classic red with the Fucks wheels?

I loved that car, a real classic car again, just like my G-esprit.

I was prepared to do the right work on it, bodywise, and had the quotes together from the best Porsche people for the neccesary work (wings, bumpers, inner sills, kidney bowls, glass out, strip to shell, respray etc). VERY labour heavy work (five figures labour) and i was absolutely not doing it myself

It would have come back to me mint, and i had agreed insurance ready at £26,000, the restored 3.2's are actually selling at that.

Thing is, it would have been show quality and only worth top money kept that way. I would have been afraid to take it out and thrash it about. And i did not want to keep it and have a 'needy' car. I enjoyed my time with it and had some great drives so i can tick it of the 'owned' list as a good experience.

This tight and superb 993 cost me less than i'd have spent just on the work on the older car.

Just been out in it again, feels like i could floor it into doing wheelies, power delivery is incredible and yet high up the 'box i can get 100mph at under 3000 revs - top cruising!

I truely understand what it's all about, now.

Obviously like everything else i say, that means bugger all.

I have no interest in the 996 and the 'modern' plastic bumpers and alloys that went with it, nor do i have any interest in the later water cooled cars, they have never been desirable or iconic to me in any way and they never, ever, will be. It's everything from '89 back that is what i think of when i think '911', but the SC era of the mid seventies to the late eighties is the 911 of choice fo me.

The contents of your mind and garage are like a roller coaster and all the more fun for it. :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

To be fair, the 993 is not a modern porsche as it's the last of the air cooled one's and before the 996 cars (do you know you could buy two '99 996 cars for the price of one '98 993? Such is the love for those first water cooled cars). That said, i am a full of crap, but i won't hold myself or be forced to stand by anything i have said or done, life is very stress free and easy that way.

Once you have tried sausage there's no going back.

Edited by Paul C

Once you have tried sausage there's no going back.

What does Vicky think of that?? :harhar:

Erm....I have to be honest, I'm off to porsche on Friday for a Silverstone track day experience....looking forward to it! VE HAV WAYS OF MAKING YOU BUY OUR CARZ!! ACTUNG SPIFIRE etc etc

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I judge a car, not on its performance or reliability, but on its WOW factor.

Drive a Nissan 370R (Porsche beater) down a busy London Street - Heads turned 5 %

Drive a Porsche (Flattened VW Beetle) down the same street - heads turned 5%

Drive a G Esprit ( Classic work of art) down the same street - heads turned 80 to 90 % - NO CONTEST

Looks like a lovely 993. They are much more expensive because they are much better made than the 996s and probably 997s. IMHO probably the best 'range'. A friend I go driving with has a 993 RS and it's utterly gorgeous. That being said the later 3.2s are right up there, especially if you can find a club sport.

I saw the new one (991?) on the road recently (I live not too far from Stuttgart and its quite common to see Porsche pre-launch being driven around the local hills). It's nice and will make a 997 look old pretty soon but I'd still have a 993 & bigger definitely isn't better.

Dron's book on the 911 is a good read if you haven't already found it. Likewise the late Paul Frere's.