free hit
counters
Wierd electrical (not) starting problem! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Wierd electrical (not) starting problem!

Hi guys....

Ok... it seemed like a flat battery.

So crank gets weaker and weaker and can barely turn over.

Connect up *three* different sets of jump leads (no Wayne, not at the same time! :D )

Still no change!

Bump start, 10-15 mph drop it in 2nd - immediate start.

Lights etc all working tickety boo.

Revving the car doesn't make the lights get brighter tho (iirc they always used to)

Stood for a while, fans came on and the lights dimmed.... Fans went off - went back to normal. (Could it be that without the battery taking any charge, the alternator makes enough charge for the lights to be full before revving?)

Drove to the M25 and back, tried turning it off and on while running, to test it and the battery was still as dead as a dodo.... (Luckily the car was moving etc to re-bump start it)

SO....

* The alternator is making charge, to run everything.

* The battery is not taking (or receiving) the charge.

I seem to recall that in my old XR2 or my Mum's Capri, the battery was SO fecked that even jump starting it wouldn't work and the moment a new one was fitted it was aok.

Can a battery be SO knackered as to prevent a jump start from working?!

Does this sound feasible to any of you wonderful 'knowledgables' out there?!?! :blink:

Thanks all,

R

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the battery can get that bad. I have seen that on several cars and trucks. (my Land Rover did the same thing) Just keep in mind the more you run it with a bad battery the more your altenator has to work overtime.

Joey

Spencer WV

Found my Esprit, but due to family issues, money went to other things :(

I guess I just have to wait for a while.

Have you checked the earth (ground) connections?

Don't know for sure but I don't see how a dead battery could keep you from jumping the car. With good jumper cables and a good jump battery you could disconnect the dead battery completely and jump straight to the cables and it should start.

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere to me.

Good luck,

Jim

1995 S4s

Robin i would suggest getting a new battery and trying it i have had exactly the same thing with the micra where the battery died to the point of not starting. It charged once but then wouldnt hold a charge.

If that dosnt work then look further.

Guest Troy Halliday

I agree it does sound like a duff battery. Try and borrow one and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't work give me a call and I'll bring some stuff over and have a look.

This sort of thing often turns out to be a duff connection; battery terminal or earth lead to chassis connection. Remember Ohms law; at 12 volts, it doesn't take much resistance to severely limit the current available. Modern "Maintenance Free" batteries are a curse, no access to the individual cells for voltage or electrolyte specific gravity measurement, so it's not easy to determine the state of a battery. How old is it? If it's over 5 years old it's due for replacement anyway.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Have a quick look where the positive cable from the battery connects to the starter. The round teminal on the end of the cable on mine was barely hanging on with a few strands of wire.

Replaced connector with a really heavy duty one and solved my starting problems (after I pulled off the induction system, air filter, oil filter and loosened the starter motor - only then did I find the loose wire - Stoopid)

Worth a go...

- Mark

Sounds like your battery is knackered :blink:

They can develop bad cells and internal shorts that can suck the juice out of a boosting battery.

If yours shows good voltage, have it load tested(to see weather it is breaking down when a demand is placed on it)

The other suggestions of checking your battery cables ans battery to frame earth are also good ones.

If it turns out to be none of the above, check out your starter motor.

And dont keep driving it like this, or your alternator will be ruined! :D

I hear the Orbital type Batteries are quite good.

handles.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Ok i'll add my pennies worth,i reckon on the battery being completely fraught i had the very same problem on another vehicle (not saying what........ ok Rover 1.4 SLi) i used to have, fitted new battery started every turn ,with old battery wouldnt start even with heavy duty jump leads. BUT i have to agree the starter connections are a very easy/cheaper first look,give em a good tug ! You never know, simplist things first.

Cheers

Nick s4s

Edited by fflyingdog

Simplest things first.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions the starter is cranking - just in a manner commensurate with a dying battery - ie reeeeeeaallllyyy slooooowlllly (etc)

BN is popping over in a mo and we're going to give it a go with a donor battery and then try a new one.

(well actually Im going to copmpletely disconnect the old one and then try jumping it again to see if it makes a diff? ...adn take it from there)

Thanks again all :blink:

(this place rules!)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

OK... New battery bought and my instinct tells me that did the trick

BUT!

Nwo the stupid flipping immobiliser has kicked in after the battery was disconnected and my fob won't disarm it! :D

I have bought a new battery for the fob but nothing :blink:

OK... New battery bought and my instinct tells me that did the trick

BUT!

Nwo the stupid flipping immobiliser has kicked in after the battery was disconnected and my fob won't disarm it! :blink:

I have bought a new battery for the fob but nothing :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What alarm system have you got? because sometimes if you disconnect the battery it wont let you disarm untill its fit and ready to ! i would think that as your battery was so [email protected]@@@d your alarm was running off its own internal nicads and will need sometime to recharge.......... of course that could be a load of bull i am readying myself to be corrected! :D are you sure you dont have to reaqaint the alarm with the remote fob through some kind of sequencing?

Nick s4s

Simplest things first.

Allow me to acquaint you with my alarm system...

mamod_2.jpg

:D

It's a Scorpion 737 and is ANCIENT... Scorpion replied to an e-mail this morning saying I could buy an entire replacement unit for

Poo! Just had a reply saying it would require new wiring :blink:

Robin, why dont you just yank the whole pice of sh*t out ?

Your car has no doorhandles!

Replace the alarm with a master electrical cutout switch (with a removable key accessed from outside the car) :blink:

MasterDisconnectSw.1ceRev-sm.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

I agree :D

I got me one of those... Not really for security, more for saving the battery fom draining over the week.

And not having to suffer the indignity of pushing my car out of the garage and rolling it down a hill on Sunday mornings... NOT Cool especially when the neighbours kids are playing outside and stop to point and laugh (Little Sh!ts :blink: )

Ok, update....

Having replaced the rather 'budget' battery with an uprated one on wednesday evening, it was still playing up. I called Geoff at Esprit Engineering who diagnosed it as a dodgy starter motor over the phone. He put a recon'ed one in the post on thursday and it arrived friday daytime :(

BN came over on friday evening and we swapped it over - beyatch of a job getting at the bottom bolt at an angle to apply any force :( - I *definitely* need to invest in a really good quality socket wrench that will not wobble about so much.

Started first time :( I fear I may not have been able to torque the bolts down as well as woudl be ideal but I have an A-Service due so will get it double cheked then :(

I'm so chuffed that I succesfully installed a new started motor - admittedly it was just 4 wires and two bolts! lol

Couldn't have done it without BN's help! I needed both hands and my entire body weight to move the wrench on the bolt while BN held the spanner on the nut.