free hit
counters
Replacement GM ecu and map sensor - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Replacement GM ecu and map sensor

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the best source + rough cost to source a replacement GM ecu for a 91 SE - std 2 bar map sensor.>?

:blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're in the US, walk into a wrecking yard and and ask for a 1228708 (I think that is your ECUs service #). They will call around and find you one out of an early 90s Olds or whatever with a Quad 4 engine. Shouldn't cost you more than $100 with a warranty. You'll have to pull the Memcal out of it, as it won't work.

Don't know about the map sensor.

If you just want to try running with a 2 bar map sensor and say the blue race code from Marcus at PUK, you only need to swap chips on the memcal. You can use the ECU as is. The blue race chip is good for 1.25 BAR sustained.

Like I did here

http://www.lotuscolorado.com/vulcangrey/gallery/MEMCAL

I used machined pin sockets to make swapping easier.

the GM part # is 16009886 for the MAP

the ECU is GM # 1228708 (weatherproof)

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

FYI...

If you buy the ECM from a GM dealer, as I did, and it's DOA, as mine was, then you're F'd in the A cos if it isn't in a GM car the warantee doesn't count.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Cheers guys - we'll try to test the current one - may pick up a spare as a precaution tho.

I have a few alternate chips that John H had in his box of tricks - one is a Sport300 1.25 bar chip.. the other is marked S300/2. I have an old std 2 bar map sensor which I will give a go as any other chip wont run the 3 bar sensor but then the one I have isn't working period..lol

will that still work with my larger injectors..? John H didn't seem to think so but I see no reason why not..??

Edited by M Blur

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Have removed ecu - but forgot to disconnect power ^%$&^&^ - ignition was off.. will the ecu be okay..?

It'll probably be ok. I had a friend who pulled the ECU fuse on my car several times while the ignition was on, saying "hey look at this spark"!

That was years ago, and I don't let friends help me with the car anymore, but the car did run fine after that.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE