free hit
counters
2. Malaysia - Page 2 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bibs

2. Malaysia

An impressive move forward for Team Lotus in qualifying this afternoon. :thumbsup:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

The question being for the Enstone team what does Lotus engineering have to offer! They have a top of the line super computer, more than enough engineers to get any job done!

Really what can Lotus contribute that the team could not do by itself!

Money pure and simple (ATM at least)

Lotus at Hethel dont have a wind tunnel for a start which is why Dallara in Italy does the Aero on the Evora racing cars and the new track car, the Exos), air management is everything in F1 these days and Renault are probably one of the most knowledgable teams concerning F1 aerodynamics.

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Which more or less brings us full circle to the Chapman days. Lotus Motorcars had no direct ties to the original F1 efforts other than "by association," only the sharing of a common "founder." It appears that history does repeat itself, in that the current "factory effort" (sponsorship only) contains little in the way of tangible or empirical connections to the sport itself. LRGP is emphatically not the genealogical continuation of the Chapman era. On the other hand, Team Lotus then, and Team Lotus now, were and are self-organised, self-funded and self-constructed independent entities with their own histories and traditions (with the Fernandes' undertaking still being written).

So I ask, which is the "purer" enterprise?

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Money pure and simple (ATM at least)

Lotus at Hethel dont have a wind tunnel for a start which is why Dallara in Italy does the Aero on the Evora racing cars and the new track car, the Exos), air management is everything in F1 these days and Renault are probably one of the most knowledgable teams concerning F1 aerodynamics.

That was NedaSay's point. Lotus don't have engineering expertise that Renault F1 lack. However, the fact that Renault F1 has a supercomputer and lots of engineers may not be the ed of the storey. Lotus may have project management skills or materials expertise they could bring to bear on the project to help the development rate keep up with the rest of the field or to help keep the programme under budget.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

God: "Colin, there's someone here to see you. Have you a moment?"

Chapman: "Do I have to? I'd really like to continue on with this wing modification scheme of mine. These feathers are just not doing it for me. Who is it anyway?"

God: "Some chap from Lotus Renault wanting some advice on one of their new projects. Seemed really concerned about having a chat with you. Keeps muttering something about 'lightness.' Said you'd understand."

Chapman: "Did he mention if he were French or not? I'd really pefer not to deal with him if he is. Nasty bunch, they are. Prone to airs you know."

God: "I can change him into a Brit if you like. Won't take but a moment."

Chapman: "That's very nice of you to offer, just tell him that I'll be selecting the wine if he doesn't mind. And tell him to leave the baguettes behind."

God: "As you know, Colin, me being omniscient and all, I'm already aware of the outcome of this meeting. Go easy on the poor fellow. We do have rules up here."

Chapman: "Rules? Rules are for wimps! No offence, Sir, but in my day we had to bend a few. Part and parcel of the game if you wanted to get ahead of the competition. Send the toad in."

God (frowning a bit): "Consider it done. Would you like the use of The Gabriel Room? Or is that too French for you?"

Chapman: "Never let it be said that God doesn't have a sense of humour, you tease you. Is The Lucifer Room available? I'd like him to feel at home."

God: "Do not test me so, Colin. We always try to treat our visitors with deference. Some of them may one day be new arrivals here, even the French."

Chapman: "Sorry, your Emminence. It's just that......well.....lately things downstairs have taken a turn for the worse, and it upsets me to think my hard won heritage in in danger of Francophilic tarnishment."

God: "Those were glorious days indeed, Colin. I followed your accomplishments with great interest. Not many know of my abiding affection for F1. But even God has to have a hobby, no? Trust me. Not even Renault can erase your legacy, though there have been rumours of a Turkish Swiss Antichrist making an appearace. I'll have to check into that soon."

God floats toward the newly renovated Pearly Gates entrance to let in the new visitor.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the interpretation of wise men"

Though this has been attributed to Chapman it was not an original. (Still good though)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

And there he was, holding on to the steering wheel....which was in his lap!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I would love a good picture of that, but cannot even copy Dave's .jpg ?

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

A better race.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

• Vitaly went off track on lap 49, and after his car hit the curb and took off, the steering column mount broke when landing

Broken suspension uprights, steering column mounts, all the while making podiums.... who says this team doesn't have Lotus heritage? :rolleyes:

77 Esprit S1

Rebirth in progress

"the $6 m. car!, we can rebuild it, better, stronger,.....faster!"

94 RX7 R2, Mazdaspeed bits

2016 NB Focus RS

1944 Willys MB rescue

Not a bad race but I hate the that 'flappy wing any idiot can pass' thing, potentially good battles are over without a fight and lame passes don't mean a thing. Then of course you get a decent battle, ie the one between Hamilton and Alonso and the pair of them get a 20 sec penalty for ... which of course only actually penalises Lewis!

Next year perhaps the FIA should fit the cars with headlights, that way the driver behind can flash the car in front when he wants to come pass.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Congrats to Renault on their podium! It may help them land a significant sponsor!

Congrats to Team Lotus on their most significant race yet! Heikki was close to the Toro Rosos all race long the car doesn't have the speed yet but they are getting there! If they get kers like all the established teams they will for sure fight the midpack!

Not a bad race but I hate the that 'flappy wing any idiot can pass' thing, potentially good battles are over without a fight and lame passes don't mean a thing. Then of course you get a decent battle, ie the one between Hamilton and Alonso and the pair of them get a 20 sec penalty for ... which of course only actually penalises Lewis!

Next year perhaps the FIA should fit the cars with headlights, that way the driver behind can flash the car in front when he wants to come pass.

Yeah, I hear ya - but where else or how will there be any passing? F1 lacks passing. Period. Especially towards the front of the "pack" although there arent any packs to speak of.

I always remember F1 as having more passing in the corners but thats tough to do now. Cars are glued down.... like slot cars. :smoke:

I think the flappy wing it an attempt at the boost control that the turbo cars had.

I must be one of the few who eagerly awaits the 4 cylinder turbo era. no refueling and adjustable boost could be just what the doctor ordered

What a drive from Heidfeld and well done to Webber, excellent result bearing in mind his problems.

Evora NA

Just a thought here BUT.... is there not a chance Pirelli might have shot themselves in the foot by making tyres that don't last the distance? I know that was the FIA's request but to the casual observer the tyres are $hite... it wouldn't make me rush out and buy a new set of Pirelli boots that's for sure. :thumbdown:

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I know that a lot (most?) of the teams have some sort of deal with the tyre manufacturer(s) but having to trash your complete allocation at each race weekend must make it expensive for those teams not enjoying a significant discount on price. Or, if the FIA pay for the tyres, it must put their costs up unless Pirelli have a limitless supply of liquorish and hot glue which seem to be the major constituents of the new 'rubber'.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Bugger it! Got home to find the DVR had locked up and failed to record either the F1 race or the IndyCar race. I can only hope they were boring. :angry:

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

If I say it was the best race of the season you'll not be too disappointed still!

Evora NA