free hit
counters
2nd Gear woes ! - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

As the Porsche has been disabled whilst I service it, the Lotus has been pressed into daily service.

Drove into work last night, parked up and off i go.

Came out this morning, into first and then clonk, grind and engage 2nd.

Thinking its me being ham footed.

But no. Out of know where 2nd wont engage without a clonk and knashing of teeth.

Drive home avaoiding second.

Get home and parked static.

Engage 2nd at standstill and the same issue for intial engage. Once in, I can go in and out at standstill through the first and second gear plane.

I know the synchro is prone to wear.

This came out of know where. I am easy on the transmission and dont wallop the car through the gears as I drive it sympathetically.

I made need some adjustment on the cables as recently, reverse has been a little more difficult to engage, but it selects fine once engaged.

Could it be adjustment or would consensus suggest synchro?

All other gears including reverse are fine and the gearbox is otherwise smooth.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the translator rod can be a bit of a git to access I replaced mine when I had the floor out stainless marked where the old one was un do and then reader with stainless ends from McGill Motorsports and a cut down 10mm stainless bolt some grease and great. If you have moved the cables check there 1st though

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Well I am going to start with adjustment and a process of elimination.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

2nd and reverse are pretty close planes of movement, adjustment does sound fishy mate.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

broken dog tooth... you might find that it clears itself up after a bit when the tooth falls out of the gears and into the bottom of the box.

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

• 4 weeks later...

Well when this happened to me a few months ago everyone on here was right in there telling me the syncro was gone,every one is now telling you to try and adjust, thats the same as what happen to me one min fine the next crunch.

recon gearbox was my fix :shuriken:

• 2 months later...

Bugger second gear synchro has just suddenly gone on mine.

Suddenly crunching into 2nd every time :(

Just sorted the clutch adjustment too...

Is it likely to be the synchro ring or more?

Is changing it DIY possible?

Any online guides?

Ta

Rich

/sad of Preston :(

Edited by Rich H

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Mine was a sticking synchro. Not damaged. All adjustment was fine. Topped up the gearbox as the level was about 500ml short of capacity. All fine since.

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Took the gearbox out and stripped it down.

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

OK been digging about and found that it looks like I can split the box without much fuss and leaving 5th in place to start with.

Does anyone have any decent pics of what I'm looking at? (And how I unstick the synchro)

I found an Alpine UN1 box manual but the pics aren't that clear...

I know the theory of operation but not the practice....

Thanks

Rich

Edited by Rich H

OK found this:

http://www.renaultalpineownersclub.com/Gearbox%20Manual/MRBVUN.pdf

Looks OK, the only thing I don't have is a hydraulic press, but I might be able to borrow or hire one.

Question is where do I get a new syncro ring from, any ideas?

Ta

Rich

Thanks, but I did read about £70 synchros somewhere... or is that the citreon box?

If possible I'd rather not strip it all down if I don't have to, there are a lot of 'as I'm here' parts (Bearings etc) I just can't afford right now... Clearly if it needs stripping (Broken/worn parts) I'll just do it.

Next question:

If it's just stuck (Sudden failure, no warning, no previous graunching + luck?) what gets stuck exactly? Is it the baulk ring getting stuck into the synchro hub? Is it just a matter of levering it back off without taking all the gears off or does it all need stripping down?

Thanks

Rich

Ok box split and good news!

2nd sync was very slightly cocked so slight tickle with a screwdriver and it popped free.

All the gears look good with a tiny amount of backlash and the syncs look good.

Not sure it'll come out in the pic.

Any suggestions for things to clean it out with? Is degreaser a bad idea?

Cheers guys

Rich