free hit
counters
Brake light on Spoiler out? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Just finished a car show and found the spoiler mounted brake light was not functional. I have no idea where the wire comes in from to check for voltage. There are two green/red wires coming off the switch on the brake pedal, I assume one goes to the rear mounted lights and the other to the spoiler mounted light??? There is a green/red wire attached to the passenger side gas strut for the engine lid,????

Any thoughts or direction would be helpful!!!

It was the only deduction and we received a Platinum as well as Best Lotus in Show for the car!!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you're almost there. The wire on the gas strut is the brake lighting wire (+12VDC). I added a brake light a few years ago on my S4 for Australian compliance and used the wiring that was in place - allthough your ground wire will be someplace else..

Lotusbrakelightwiring004.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

"Minus 10 points on the 88 Turbo. Next entry please.........." :welcome:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Yes, you're almost there. The wire on the gas strut is the brake lighting wire (+12VDC). I added a brake light a few years ago on my S4 for Australian compliance and used the wiring that was in place - allthough your ground wire will be someplace else..

Lotusbrakelightwiring004.jpg

That is what I had thought but I have not got 12vdc there??? I have to assume the wire is compromised between this connection and the switch at the pedal. I cannot see where the wire goes into the car from the hood???? Is it at the other end of the shock???

Bearing in mind mine is an 88 S3, the connections in the illustration are for the heated rear window on mine, as I have no high brake light (or wing to mount it) however care has to be taken when removing or replacing the engine cover because many times I have dislodged the connector at the base of the strut, so if you search around in the engine bay far left corner it sounds like you may find a stray connector.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Bearing in mind mine is an 88 S3

Seriously?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If your brake lights in the bodywork (either side of the number plate) are coming on, there's nothing wrong with the pedal switch and your problems lie in the loom between the rear lights and your spoiler. Most likely, as Roger suggests, the connector at the bottom of the taigate strut is the area to look at - the circuit uses the strut to pass the 12v through it.

Simples: you place a cinder block on the brake pedal, turn on the ignition, proceed to the open engine hatch, grasp the relevant strut with a bare hand and find a ground (earth) with the other. If you have continuity you'll know it. :)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

FYI - At the other end of the gas strut there's another spade connector and wire connected.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017