free hit
counters
Lotus Evora Launch edition build quality - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Evora Launch edition build quality

Guest Bigeasy94

Guest Bigeasy94

Hi

I'm looking for some advices, I'm looking at getting the evora sometime in November for my 40th birthday pressent from myself :thumbup: I've been saving since it was launched back in May 2009 and i'm not sure weather i should get a Launch edition as i've read a couple of reviews saying the build on the Launch edition where a bit....Well not great. Does anyone know if there is any difference in build quality from the launch edition evora to a 2010 / 2011 model?

Has there been any updates from the original launch edition evora's and if so does anyone know what they where and what they fixed?

Thanks all

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure there's anything tangible, it's more a constant and continous improvement from day one. The later cars certainly feel more solid and better screwed together (nearest comparison I can think of is the M100 SE Elan and the later S2 Elans - nothing specific, just 'better') but you do get a decent amount of kit included with the LE cars, which once they've had their depreciation factored into the price, make a very tempting secondhand car purchase.

It would be worth you having a sniff around in the Evora Tech area of the Forum to see what issues other owners are experiencing, but at the moment they seem to be a reliable car with only minor gripes surfacing.

No doubt an owner or two will chime in now to explain how utterly wrong I've got it all! :hrhr:

(And welcome to the Forum B-) )

I totally agree with what GKP has said, Lotus have been continuously improving, updating and tweeking the Evora since launch so like any other car get the newest at the price you're happy to pay. Bear in mind the Evora is still under warranty so be fussy and get anything changed you're not happy with quality wise.

There's a couple of things on the early cars (pre April 2010) that i think are nicer than current - the metal interior door releases (rather than chromed plastic) and the "gloss" black headlamps.

I'm glad someone asked that question! I'm getting serious about finally parting with my Liz and Evora prices are quite tempting. Tales of not-so-good build quality and the usual Lotus early car niggles/public R&D do worry me though. My Liz has been faultless from day one but for a car costing £50k plus new I'd expect few less rattles... somehow that's part of the charm of the Elise, not sure I'd appreciate that from what's supposed to be more of a refined car.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Guest Bigeasy94

Thanks for you quick replies GKP, JAWS and Sterling_Villeneuve

The problem i have is i'm a lotus fan through and through....I love them, always have since i saw the esprit in my town centre when i was about 10. But my experience haven't been great, I had a S2 Elise when they where launched and had it for two years, My dream car i'd been saving for 3 years for but I had problems with water ingress into the passenger foot well and it went back to the dealer 6 times, then to Hethel twice and they still couldn't fix it (I think it was a problem with the actual tub chassis not being glues / bonded correctly) in the end (as a good will gesture) they replaced the car with a 111s, and that was perfect and i was a happy man :thumbsup: , so i do understand it's down to each individual car (Lets hope i don't get a Friday afternoon one)

I test drove the evora when it was launched at dick lovet in Swindon and loved it, I couldn't believe it had the same...if not better steering and feel than the Elise. My mind was made and i've been saving since, Then i test drove the evora S.......WOW....until the oil light came on and then there was smoke from the engine and a rattling noise (Toyota engine so lotus aren't really to blame for that).....We coasted back to the dealer and there was oil all over the back of the car, also we couldn't get out the car from the inside, someone had to open both doors from the outside?

I know allot of changes are being made at Lotus headquarters at the moment and i'm wondering if any new processes have been put in place to change the build quality process?

With all this said i will still be getting one, i'm just hoping that i get a good one and just really want to cover everything i can before i buy.

Edited by Bigeasy94

Thanks for you quick replies GKP, JAWS and Sterling_Villeneuve

The problem i have is i'm a lotus fan through and through....I love them...

Then i test drove the evora S.......WOW....until the oil light came on and then there was smoke from the engine and a rattling noise (Toyota engine so lotus aren't really to blame for that).....We coasted back to the dealer and there was oil all over the back of the car, also we couldn't get out the car from the inside, someone had to open both doors from the outside?

I'm in a similar position, I've been hooked on Lotus cars for years, I'm on my 4th right now and my most recent Elise is by far the best in every way although I've heard tales of woe from a car bought from the same dealer delivered direct from Lotus in the same batch as mine.

I would dearly love to buy an Evora but I'll admit my niggling doubts aren't going away and your test drive hasn't helped much either! I used to consider the Evora as a safe option, especially when you think about more exotics pre-owned options in that price range but I'm not so sure right now... :sofa:

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Let's not get paranoid, the standard Evora's engine is solid. The S may have some teething problems due to the extra power extracted from the supercharger, but I'm sure these will be ironed out.

I regret I didn't wait 9 months for the S to come out, with the pound as low as it is now the S is almost the price I paid for my Evora 9 months ago...

nicer than current - the metal interior door releases (rather than chromed plastic) and the "gloss" black headlamps.

Agree on the metal door releases. I wonder why they changed. Cost saving, plus, perhaps, security? they are rather pointed, and could cause injury (less so in plastic)

- gloss black headlamps

That's one thing I never noticed.

Looking at pictures I can see what you mean, it seems hardly noticeable though.

top 2009, bottom late 2010 model

post-12443-0-18059800-1303433214_thumb.j

post-12443-0-18036000-1303433425_thumb.j

Edited by Anthony27

• 2 weeks later...

No worries, I have my launch edition since 1 1/2 years now, 37.000 KM, some small rubbish items but all fixable and nothing serious. I drove the car in any weather, any streets and any occasions. Absolutely no problem.

I handle it with care = no excesses and it runs perfectly. I do not miss anything; for me it is absolutely perfect and gives me fun on every droven Kilometer. This is how I feel.

Got my Evora launch edition last month as an ex factory car and the car is running smooth ,just like an Elise,nothing like an Esprit.

The kids love it ,since I 've got the Evora ,my V8 hasn't turned a wheel.

Best regards,

Walter