free hit
counters
Bosch K-Jetronic CIS tuning, 86HC, 87HC, 88 X180 Esprit - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
MrDangerUS

Bosch K-Jetronic CIS tuning, 86HC, 87HC, 88 X180 Esprit

Rich,

86, 87 and 88 Turbo CIS cars have quite unique configuration of the (internal) w/gate, manifold and the turbo unit. It differs fom 89 and later vehicles. Position of the turbo is 1.5" lower and the large self-contained capsule has no vac port.

Edited by MrDangerUS

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Here is a good description w/pictures of the waste gate components: http://www.lotusrace...ustipspage2.htm

It looks like boost is controlled via internal spring tension. To increase the boost, me thinking, one has to replace the spring or add shims.

Or..., am I missing the vacuum port anywhere?

Please chime in if you ever took the "mushroom" part apart.

Edited by MrDangerUS

Hey, Rich,

Wow, good pic, thanx. I missed the little tubbie. Must be a case of ADDA outbrake.

So... in the nutshell:

the spring keeps the gate valve closed until the raising pressure suplied trough this tube (from the compressor side duct) actuates the orange diaphragm, which in turn opens the valve which bleeds exh. collector gas into the exhaust pipe by-passing the turbine?

No actuating rods,capsules,etc?

I guess, we can call the "mushroom" on this picture a "wastegate pressure actuator".

Edited by MrDangerUS

Yes

My Porsche has one very similar.

If that line leaks then you will get an increase in boost, a boost controller just controls the leak rate.

Here is what I found on this w-gate

"Wastegate Assembly-32mm

Part Number 5-200915-7

Control Pressure 48kPa (7 psi)

Made in Australia by

ngm NORMALAIR-GARRETT MFG P/L

Melbourne"

I am wondering if they are still there?

Would be nice to find a spare diaphragm for the w-gate...

I heard they are hard to come by?

This unit has 3/8" x 24 threaded hole at the bottom-is that where you attach the boost controller hose?

Edited by MrDangerUS

JAE can sell you the diaphragm, but -are you sitting down- it's $320. They say that it's so high because they have to get it from Lotus, but I think the real reason is because it's an aircraft part- and not a very common one at that.

For $320 you could put a decent down-payment on a more modern turbo with integral wastegate, although you'll also need a different manifold adaptor (the bit bolted in between the manifold and the turbo) to make that work.

I assume that is a vent hole to atm. the boost pressure build the other side of the WG diaphragm and then opens the valve against the spring.

Normalair Garratt are still going.

We deal with them on occasion for aircraft bits.

Do what we do, google them then call/email their customer support see what they say.

You might find they are common parts for other things.

LOTUS ESPRIT - TURBOCHARGER UPGRADES

From 1980-87, Lotus used the T3 turbocharger. It has .63 a/r turbine and .42 a/r compressor.

It can be upgraded to compressor with super 60 a/r

like this one: http://www.mjmturbos...LotusTc0301.htm

When buying, you must specify if your turbo has an external wastegate.

Then from 1988-95, Lotus used also T3 but smaller than the previous. I believed it has .48 a/r and .60 t3 compressor. The upgrade looks like this

http://www.mjmturbos...worth-Lotus.jpg

Then all V8 has twin turbo but using smaller turbo than the above.

They used a Garrett T25 which could be upgraded to T28 instead of T25.

It looks like this http://www.mjmturbos...8hYBRIDt04B.htm

For info and questions see:

http://www.mjmturbos...urbolicious.htm

Edited by MrDangerUS

FUEL PUMP TESTING

The proper connections to jumper are noted here:

http://lotusracer. home.mchsi. com/lotustipspag e2.htm

"remove the relays and by-pass them by taking a wire with 2 spade

terminals on it, plugging one end in the relay slot towards the front of

the car (black wire), and the other end in the slot towards the rear of

the car (banded wire). You will want to by-pass the primary pump (the

fuel pump relay to the left) BEFORE you by-pass the secondary pump

relay, or you could actually damage the secondary pump by running it

without gas as it will suck the gas away from the primary pump"

Primary pump: 0580-254-967/ GFP 208

Secondary pump: 0580-254-979/ GFP 044

They fit 911 turbo.

Better flow can be achieved by installing:

Primary: 0580254984 165l/hr (5Bar)

Secondary: 0580254044 225l/hr (5Bar)

CLEANING CIS INJECTORS

If you have any doubts about your ability to do this safely don't do it.

You can clean CIS injectors very easily. You put a piece of fuel injection hose onto the threads of the injector. Make the piece of hose about a foot long maybe a bit more. Be sure to clamp it tightly to the injector. Now fill the hose with injector cleaner. Stick the end of the air blower nozzle and use about 60-85 psi to blow the fuel injector cleaner through the injector. Repeat about four or five times for each injector. Be sure the spray isn't at anything flammable or dangerous. Berryman Products Inc 0113C B-12 Parts Cleaner works very well.

If your injectors aren't worn out from all the years of use. This procedure will clean them up. But Kjet injectors do physically wear out and need to be replaced.

One thing I'm wondering is why Lotus went with just half of what Bosch had to offer...

Installing a boost compensated warmup regulator as was installed on some '80s Audi turbos would have been (it seems) a classy way to enrich under boost...

I doubt anybody can really know what really happened during development but it's worth discussing...

Luc

Luc,

I agree, there are several MB, Porsche,VW and Volvo WURs with on-boost enrichment nipple, like Bosch #0438140061 or(Porsche) WURS,0438140054, 112, 153, 160 or 164.

It can be done, but it would require some tweaking and logging the Control Pressure map at the WUR output banjo in function oe rpm-s and MAP. Then, you'd have to adjust the springs inside of the WUR main body.If you are mechanically saavy, we can do it. Do you want to participate in the project?

My understanding is that Lotus CIS was a "black box" project sourced w/Bosch. At the time, new pollution standards were about to kick-in and Lotus was strapped for cash. That is why they went "cheap and simple" way. KE-Motronic would be perfect for our Esprits, but it costs more. Lotus did not want to pay.

Edited by MrDangerUS

Here is a CIS immersion course, simplified, but...it is a good begining http://helpvideos.therustyrabbit.com/RustyRabbitSchool.html

HOW TO MODIFY YOUR WUR-very good thread:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/272502-modified-my-wur.html

Edited by MrDangerUS

Yeah, my first guess is $$$$ too...

As for modifications, I'm not sure we share the same point of view, not that I'm afraid of big projects but this one stays stock!

It's not like putting a turbo in a golf, roughly 400 CIS Esprit were made, I just don't want to mess in it altough I can understand someone wanting to bring it up to date in reliability and power. I've checked your pictures and you seem pretty well underway!

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Luc

There were 386 built...plus 1, mine. That makes 387 total.

I would never convert to FI, but "playing" with her...

Why not?

Edited by MrDangerUS

Turbocharger sellection/maps

Among the others I found this gem:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/webadviser

Actually there is an interactive turbo selector inside.

I suggest you bookmark it for later.

MYSTERY CAPSULE on BOSCH K-JET INJECTED CARS

This capsule looks like a small metal UFO with a vacuum line at the bottom and a square electrical terminal at the top. Some of our cars have just an empty square two prong male plug and no sign of the capsule. This part does not show anywhere in Parts List, Lotus Notes or anywhere else. Most of the owners don't even know of its existence or purpose. However, on the sheet 7 section MG of 1988 Onwards Service Notes there is a "Differential Pressure Valve" connected between the earth and pin #11 of the ECU. Pin 11 of the ECU controls the fuel enrichment. The UFO capsule is a momentary Hobbs switch and its vacuum line connects to a tee plumbed into the black w/white stripe hose connected to the bottom of the square module which has an overboost sensor screwed on the top, (right buttress). The black with white stripe vacuum line runs directly from the over boost cutout switch to the intake manifold at the back of the engine and on the downstream side of the throttle plates. So it's measuring true vacuum/boost at the input to the valves.

The two pins of the connector are shorted together for about 0.5 to 1.0 second each time there is a quick decrease in the vacuum level (100mB jump, i.e. the throttle plates are opened quickly). The device only works with a vacuum applied, no connection between the two pins occurs during increasing or decreasing boost. As you recall one pin of the connector is grounded and the other goes to the ECU. So each time the throttle is pressed quickly to increase speed a ground signal is sent to the ECU. It has been confirmed that the function of this device, in conjunction with the ECU, is to act as the Jetronic equivalent of an accelerator pump. When the ECU receives the ground signal from the mystery device it adjusts the frequency valve to DC=95% to provide extra fuel for acceleration. PM me if you want to see pictures.

It has been confirmed empirically, that this capsule dramatically improves the throttle responsiveness.

Edited by MrDangerUS

First successful installation of the UTCIS D-WUR on 88 Esprit Turbo (Bosch CIS) had been accomplished by Loren Stump!

Edited by MrDangerUS

The UTCIS-PT™ is an advanced Warm-Up Regulator Upgrade. In addition to the user-programmable Warm-Up Enrichment Cycle, the UTCIS-PT™ permits the setting of the relationship between Manifold Air Pressure and Control Pressure at air pressure readings both below and above 1 bar. Additionally, the UTCIS-PT™ permits these mappings to be done at different RPM ranges. The UTCIS-PT™ is compatible with applications where there is a pressure port connection on the OEM Warm-Up Regulator and where there is boost pressure available from a Turbo Charger. The UTCIS-PT™ may also be used on non-Turbo vehicles where the tuner desires to have more control over control pressure across different RPM readings. The UTCIS-PT™, like all UTCIS™ products is compatible with the UTCIS Engine Management Software™ available for download from the UnwiredTools™ web site support section.

http://unwiredtools.com/utcis-pt.asp