free hit
counters
Installing SJ Exhaust System in S1 - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Installing SJ Exhaust System in S1

I'm trying to install the SS system I just purchased from SJ but having some trouble. I think a few people on the Forum have installed this particular setup so hopefully someone can lend a few tips as I go into the weekend where I won't be able to get a response from the UK. Did the system go on without any trouble for you guys? Here are som issues I'm having:

chassissupport.jpg

Once the header is installed, the left chassis support brace no longer fits. Is it safe to just remove it? Or should I re-engineer the brace?

aboveheaders.jpg

There are 8 tubes that bolt into the engine (2 above each exhaust port), which don't have clearance to go back in once the exhaust header is on. Even if I anchor the tubes prior to installing the header, it still doesn't work. Should I just remove these? Replace them with small screw plugs? BTW, what are they for anyway?!?!?!

breathertube.jpg

Here's another image of one of the tubes.

rearsilencer.jpg

Once the header is bolted securely and the intermediate pipe is installed, it clearly doesn't match up with the silencer. I can cut off about 2 inches of the intermediate pipe and re-weld, but that seems insane since the price I paid was worth it's weight in gold and the system should simply fit.

Thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Renn,

I am interested to learn of the problems you are having as I was considering purchasing the system for my S1. As you say, it is not a cheap system and for the price it should fit 100% without you having to make alterations. Regarding the 8 tubes, these are air injectors and as far as I'm aware were only fitted to Federal (USA) cars. Are you in the US? The injectors are part of the 70's smog junk. Don't bother to reinstall them. If you are asking what they are they you obviously don't have the rest of the smog system and so the injectors are completely redundant. If you can't find plugs for the ports locally JAE sells them.

JAE clicky

Just tell them you have an S1 and need to plug the air injector ports. The manifold needs to be off to install the plugs.

Can't help with the other issues but I'm pretty sure you need to keep that chassis brace. I'd say it looks as if the manufacture didn't get the bend just right and didn't measure the intermediate pipe correctly. I'd be really interested to hear what Steve says about this.

Best of luck.

Edited by GavinT

Yes, the car is in California. I suspected those were part of a smog setup, which has since been removed from the car. Thanks for the tip - I'll try to find the plugs locally. And I agree about the chassis brace. Doesn't seem like that should ever be removed from the car.

No nothing, checked this morning as I thought I couldn't remember them being there.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108292765998464008070/LotusEspritS176110238G?authkey=Gv1sRgCPLHrv2nh7eoZQ#5589201971715608626

Have contacted another member who has slightly earlier car to check, awaiting reply.

Maybe you just leave the bar off and fit the 4-1 exhaust?

Edited by markjonesx

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!

I just looked in the parts manual and the brace (bracing strut, part# B079A4104K) is listed for both S1/S2. On a very early S1 perhaps they maybe be missing but they should be there on your car Mark.

I just looked in the parts manual and the brace (bracing strut, part# B079A4104K) is listed for both S1/S2. On a very early S1 perhaps they maybe be missing but they should be there on your car Mark.

You would expect so, but no welded bolt tabs, in the manual, yes, on my car, no.

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!

This was posted on the yahoo group regarding installation of the SJ system on an S1:-

be aware however that the original design I believe was for a S3 Esprit which is fine but it does mean that the bolt on chassis brace on the left hand side of the engine has to be modified slightly to clear the headers (read bent). This is not a difficult job and only requires about an hour to do however if you do not wish to modify this component of your car don't buy the headers.

Hi Renn

I have that system fitted

I can talk you through what you need to do on skype if you like

skype link

My skype name is sca.watts if you or anyone else needs some help

Best Wishes

Matt

Let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

I'm interested to know how Matt has solved the problem, the manifold is on my list of parts but in my opinion it would be better to work on the manifold pipes that are touching the strut.

I don't like to have a bent tube on my car :thumbdown:

BTW, same manifold for the S2.2 form SJ or it's different?

Ciao

Giorgio

I am interested to learn of the problems you are having as I was considering purchasing the system for my S1.

Gav,

Weird timing, eh? Maybe we should revisit that bulk order we talked about once this is all cleared up.

Maybe I got it wrong, but I thought the main issue here was that SJ's system is for non-Federal S1s, no?

Renn, did they get back to you?

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Gav,Weird timing, eh? Maybe we should revisit that bulk order we talked about once this is all cleared up.Maybe I got it wrong, but I thought the main issue here was that SJ's system is for non-Federal S1s, no?Renn, did they get back to you?

Hello Matt,

Agreed, timing is very funky on this....

Our cars being Federal makes no difference, well I can't see a reason for them to make a difference. The only factory spec difference is, we originally had cats and a different silencer. With the cat and silencer gone we would have exactly the same setup as any other S1. The only thing that maybe different is the alignment of the new SJ silencer tailpipes with the tailpipe cut-out on the federal rear valence. But I don't think this is going to be a problem.

Being just shy of $1200.00 delivered I expect the thing to fit.

Hi this is how I fitted my system and has been running fine now for 2 years.

I wielded a second tube to the end of the cross brace so it can be removed to go back to original if needed and of course no bending ! see picture below

IMG_0775.jpg

Note the wield must be good as there are lot of loading going through them on fast cornering !. I also used thermal material to stop the powder coating melting :)

Next I adding a short flexi to the mid pipe. Note if you do not add one your new manifold will crack, as the four different length pipes expand at different rates and they will have now here to go.

IMG_5058.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

It may be a pain doing a the half hour of wielding but the system does sound very nice

Hope this helps

Matt

Ps Giorgio What are you doing with a type 47 picture ! :whistle:

Do detect a 47 in your future ? :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt-watts

Let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

The only thing that maybe different is the alignment of the new SJ silencer tailpipes with the tailpipe cut-out on the federal rear valence.

Right. I swapped with Tony for a UK valence to get around this, plus I'm putting on Euro bumpers, but I figured if there were alignment issues there perhaps they extended to other parts of the rig as well. Here's an idea--you go first!

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Hi Matt,

eehmmm....I'm in love with the Type 47 from about 20 years, in my opinion is the best Lotus ever built.

I'm thinking about it but now I must finish my Esprit.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ciao

Giorgio

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your post/photos. Nice too see what needs to be done.

Here's an idea--you go first!

:hrhr::unsure:

I just got her in doors a hot tube, a $6300 surprise. So the nice shinny manifold that no-one is going to see will have to wait another month.

Sorry for the late reply. I spoke to Matt on Skype (thanks again for the help!) and his solution above is the way to go to make the SJ system fit. I was tempted to just eliminate the support brace, but it's actually not a hard job once you hand the pieces over to a welder. If anyone is considering the SJ system, avoid it unless you are cool with spending a few hundred USD more to get the flexi pipe and chassis support brace and intermediate pipe welded. For me I'll need to actually tow my car (well, rolling chassis) to the exhaust shop to get the pipe shortened, aligned and welded (kind of a pain!).

At the very least, try to get SJ to discount the system by the amount of money you'll spend to fix the mess that they send you.

Hey Renn,

One quick mention, get the plugs from Jeff at JAE for the air injectors, those buggers are british standard whitworth (bsw) threads, they appear to be std sae size and pitch, but the angle of the threads are different.

I have been following your blog on your rebuild, and I must say you have been doing an outstanding job. I really like your use of the yellow chromate plating on the axles, calipers, and such. Beautiful.... Who is doing your plating?

We must compare notes someday, I have two S1's to work on in West Virginia.

Keep up the good work!

Brian

Thanks for the tip. Yes JAE seems like the best option for those plugs. I'm still trying to sort out the exhaust as the final step in having the chassis completely done. Hope to post some pictures of it soon once the system is installed.

I had all of my parts plated and powder coated locally. Yellow chromate is extremely common so you shouldn't have a hard time finding a shop to do it. Thanks for the compliment on the blog - it keeps me motivated to update and therefore keep pace with the restoration.

Wow, 2 S1s is quite a task. It's excellent to see more and more folks bringing the S1s back to life. Good luck with the restorations!

• 4 weeks later...