free hit
counters
Starter motor - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprit s2

Starter motor

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

OK, got the thing to turn over now but it won't fire. Need to buy a spark plug spanner from halfords tomorrow (21mm I think?) and then check to see if I have a spark I suppose.

Remember, that the coil gets 12 volts from the starter while cranking. Is that wire on the starter? should be a white one on the solenoid.

The contacts look rather corroded, are you sure they actually transit power when closed?

A quick test is to open them with an insulated item with the coil connected and something to show if you have a spark out of the coil. I think you may find there' no spark. if that's the case earth something metallic across both contacts then move it away, you should get a spark then. If that works, it's probably a bad contact in the points, if there's no spark with that earthing and breaking approach, suspect power to coil or break in wire somewhere.

Those points don't look very healthy so I agree that it's a good idea to get rid of them. Their location doesn't encourage regular, preventative maintenance. Should be a big improvement.

Paul - please let us (me!) know how you get on with that ignition system, I'm looking at mapped ignition for my Excel and this looks like a nice easy solution (crank driven) rather than mounting a trigger wheel + sensor etc. It seems its programmable enough for me and a good replacement for the dizzy setup.

Will do Rich, it arrived today so I'll fit it tomorrow evening when I get home form work along with the new coil.

Tonight though I want to change the cambelt and I have removed the belt guard and the belt that drives the alternator. Am unsure how to loosen the tensioning pulley so I can slip the old belt off and slip the new one on. Any help?

Well today the mighty Sparky and, equally mighty, Trevsked turned up in sunny Loughton to change my Elite's cam belt.

They turned up in style you'll see, and not only did they change the belt we managed to get her running after a little tinkering. WAHOO!!!

Massive thanks! :thumbsup:

A video of her up and running. Note the new distributor - 123 ignition from southern carburettors. Noticed that the exhaust was hanging off at the center box, will look into replacing the complete system with a stainless one. SJ or Lotusbits?

http://s487.photobucket.com/albums/rr240/paulbaxters2/?action=view&current=MOV05231.mp4

http://s487.photobucket.com/albums/rr240/paulbaxters2/?action=view&current=Edited.mp4

Edited by esprit s2

I can't get this clear in my head, so sorry if it is a dumb question - that distributor retains a rotor arm? So it is in effect a lumenition built into the body of the dissy? Or is there more to it than that - they hint at it on the site.

Like fitz, I'm considering something that means no big sparks under carbs....

//R

I think you'll find the 123, Accuspark , and many other similar modern systems use a bit physics called the Hall Effect. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect

The Lumention Optronic system was optical.

My understanding is that the Hall Effect systems are super simple and much better, more reliable and cheaper than the early Lumenition systems.

Herc

The 123 device is very sophisticated, tunable response curves etc.. More commonly fitted are the simple £30 products that just replace the points and condenser on your existing distributor. This seems to be common practice - the guy at Esprit Engineering says he does it to all the cars he works on.

Herc

Richard - have a couple of suggestions for you moving to a full ecu electronic ignition like the 123 but along more conventional routes. The issue for most people is locating the sensor and trigger wheel. Although there are a few people who have done the Megajolt on the Esprit engines who could give you advice and there are maps available for the 910 for sure on their forums to get you up and running.

so the two being Megajolt and Canems electronic ignition. I've looked into both quite a lot, they both use ignition parts that are commonly available - megasquirt uses for EDIS modules etc for instance. Canems is a bit more expensive but you can switch between TPS and MAP sensors easily and have two maps switchable on the fly (different fuel qualities etc) and you can locate the sensor at any angle in relation to the trigger wheel. Megajolt has to have the sensor located at a certain angle to work and you have to specify TPS or MAP based management at order.

HTH!

Rich

I believe LotusBits are making up some toothed wheels and sensor brackets that would fit the Excel.