free hit
counters
Which brake fluid? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mdw

Which brake fluid?

Stevens n/a. Rebuilt standard calipers, new braided hose, new copper/nickel pipe throughout and new seals in master cylinder. Should I change to silicone fluid or stick with dot what ever it is now? Any disadvantages with silicone?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

DO NOT use DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid!

There is no advantage, it just doesn't absorb moisture, but then it doesn't prevent corrosion either.

It froths, and then the bubble will make your pedal go soft.

Use a synthetic DOT4. Unless you are planning on going on the track, then use a good fluid like MOTUL RBF600 or the best is Castrol SRF.

I used to be involved in the testing of Brake fluids and Castrol always come out on top. Never used anything but Castrol since then

Cheers

Ralph

Thanks guys looks like Castrols the way to go.

before you get too excited, the Castrol SRF is ~$70/liter...

Read this to see how they compare

http://www.raceshopper.com/brake_fluid.shtml

The dry and wet boiling points are the key difference.

Also the Castrol SRF appears to resist moisture degradation as much as some from what I can tell.

£38 per litre here. After fitting a whole new brake system throughout it would seem a bit tight to scrimp on the fluid.

Agree with Jonathon.

You will get through a lot of fluid getting a completely dry braking system good and working free from bubbles. At £40 a litre that's going to cost a fortune.

I used SRF in my rally cars and it never let me down but in my road cars I've always used halfords standard and never had a problem.

If your dead set on SRF I'd fill and bleed the system with halfords and then flush through with a liter of SRF when your happy you have no bubbles.