free hit
counters
adjustable dampers - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

hi there everybody has anybody tried the adjustable shocks and spring kit from sj sports car i am thinking about changing the shocks etc on my si elise for the s2 upgrade that sj have has anybody used this kit cheers garry :thumbsup:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

S1 elise owners tend to be happy with either Bilsteins (s2 conversion) or Nitron adjustables. Bilsteins are the cheaper non adjustable option. Dont know which ones SJ do. Also price check Eliseparts

Edited by simonb

When I bought my Elise S1 it had aftermarket fully adjustable dampers set to full hard, and the ride height at race spec. - maybe OK for driving on a billiard table but not good for the usual B roads I use. First I had the ride height raised to 115/120 (standard is 130/130) and the geometry to standard road spec. (if the car is lowered fit steering rack raising plates to reduce bump steer - a very cheap and effective modification). Also have the corner weights set by someone who really knows what they are doing.

I tried every combination of damper settings but couldn’t find a comfortable road setting so eventually I lashed out and fitted Nitron Single Adjustable units + Eibach springs.

What a difference! Compliant at all settings and still drivable on full soft (most adjustables seem to be undrivable below 1/3 hard) and still comfortable on road at 10 clicks out of 22. On track they are simply superb without rattling your fillings.

Simply the best dampers I have ever used, even better than Bilsteins.

Hope this helps.

I've heard nothing but good about Nitron (TLF are also a Nitron dealer now too!)

I'm now running SPAX Adjustables (via Brooke Kensington) as the supply of Bilsteins via Lotus has been non-existant of late.

Can report that so far they've been excellent!

Iain (197,778 miles and currently worrying about chassis corrosion)