free hit
counters
bad noise.... - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
skiing

bad noise....

At garage. Crank in two peices! Centre bearing shell sits on top another one as described. Will post photos when I get them off my phone. Still looking for an engine.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just thinking laterally, and really, no offence intended to Excel owners, but there are some fairly cheap Excel SE's cropping up on ebay. Grab the engine, install and get running in your Esprit, and then sell the remains of the Excel back on ebay as a 'potential V8 conversion' project?

Of course, I'm assuming that you have the ability/space/time to do that, but it might be a cost effective way of getting your hands on a HC lump, if that is the way you want to go....

//R

Bibs you have already been a legend so thank you, richard, on the excel front, i did think of this, but I have no space in London sadly. Regarding excels, is the manifold the same as the esprit? As I need a manifold too, unless I go stainless, which I prob will if I can get a good used engine rather than a rebuilt one.

Right. Am getting an engine of lotus bits hc from an excel and am getting a full stainless system as well. Should hopefully get about 190 Bhp..... :thumbsup:

Crikey....I want to see the photos of the inside of this engine....are there THREE shells in the centre bearing, or only two? If two, then one of them has been forced over the other when the crank broke. I've seen that before....but if there are three shells then I fail to see how the engine could even rotate. Whatever, the whole bottom end is now probably scrap.....keep the engine and sell off the head and anciliaries!! Good luck with the new engine....

Two shells. One was basically fitted to the block so you couldn't move it. Baicallly the casting had been filed back so there was room for both. Annoyingly the rest of the shells and machining on the crank was in good condition. But also no thrust washers. Also shells looked over sized. Yup block is scrap. But new engine is apparently a good one and I will have the advantages of the more durable hc design.

Kinell. Would love to know who did that one.

It seems they're not all locked up yet.....thought I'd seen everything by now, but it appears not!! You just have to be better off with the new engine....

I know!! Moorland Jones said they had never seen anything like it.... In addition it had a selection of incorrect bolts around the sump of various sizes, incorrect engine sealant - some sort of white stuff sealing the whole thing up... not sure what I am going to do with the bits which are in good condition which I wont need... think a car boot sale is in order... H

Well she is back. Goes like a rocket and this before rolling road tune/ re jetting. Hesitation lower down but once on cam she flys. Also sounds amazing with new exhaust. Which is a work of art. I will photo this weekend so people can see. Am in love again and grinning stupidly.

The exhaust does sound (and look) good, doesn't it...?! Glad you went for it and have got everything sorted. Bet you are looking forward to seeing how she does after the tune up.

Scott

Skiing said:

Yup, I am. Will do photos as well so everyone can see the full horror...

So where are they then???

Question for everyone - have got the car back and all good, but it is most likely running lean to some extent (there is a hesitation low down before it goes going) - now am driving it down to be tuned and rolling roaded on Monday - but am driving to my parents this weekend (about 200 miles return trip) - will I be ok / is there anything I need to look out for if its running lean? / anyway I can prevent it - different petrol etc? any help would be great...

Take it back to garage and get them to set /test mixture and tell them of your concern.if you hole a piston be back to a rebuild stage,your 48mm carbs may be have problems with jetting ect .

Undo all 4 mixture screws by 1/2 a turn.. shouldn't be lean after that. And don't go using large throttle openings or high rpm until you have the carbs set properly!

Mine ran lean after changing the exhaust, and I had to get the ECU remapped. I was a bit worried about driving it 40 miles to the garage. I asked the mechanic about it and he did say it was close to being dangerous... I just took it very easy. :ph34r:

If the exhaust gasses are very hot then that ususally means you are running lean.

Could you not use some choke to make the mixture more rich? Otherwise I don't think there is anything you can do without changing the jets in the carbs - which they will do on Moday I guess.

Thanks all - the chaps at Moorland Jones tuned to the best of their ability, they said take it easy and have it tuned as soon as I can - they would not have let me have it back if it was going to explode.

Well she is tuned. Jets changed and ignition / advance played with. About an hour and a half on a rolling road - goes really well, no hesitation off idle... and sounds fantastic... lifts the nose when putting your foot down and crackles occasionally on the overrun - brilliant....

Got it tuned at placed called Vulcan Engineering / HT tuning - down at Brands Hatch, V nice guys and really improved the car.

You should have popped in for tea, I'm only 10 mins from Brands! :)