free hit
counters
Only 3 cylinders fire. HELP! - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Steffen

Only 3 cylinders fire. HELP!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Im almost ready to pull out the engine.

I have bought a hoist to help me ;)

The only thing im not sure of is the air condition pump.

I really dont want to unplug it.

Is it possible to take out the engine without taking out the air condition?

Anyone have tryed this before?

post-6902-0-53717000-1305235229_thumb.jp

I don't know, but my guess is yes. Just don't let it hang on the hoses, fasten it up to the chassis or some thing convenient, don't put a strain on the hoses.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

The engine is out ;)

I will find the problem this weekend and order parts on monday.

Anything i shoud change while its out?

The car have beed driven 50000 miles.

post-6902-0-64576600-1305326436_thumb.jp

The water pump. :yes: and inspect the engine and gearbox mounts.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Probably taken as "read" but replace the timing belt. and the cam covers could do with some love and paint. New oil and filter, new coolant, chargecooler pump impeller. Unless almost new, replace the clutch.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ OK I'll stop now. :thumbup:

Thanks for the help.

The exhaust valve is broken.

Looks like everything else is inn good condition.

Guess i have been lucky.

I had a look at the turbo and it looks good too:)

What can i clean the head and valves with?

Any good products for this?

post-6902-0-58625000-1305634252_thumb.jp

Edited by Steffen

Ouch! Have you found the missing piece of the valve?

A citrus based cleaner is a good starting point, it won't shift the baked on carbon though.

That's the second one I've seen like that recently ?

However, if you're up for it, I'd strip the head, keeping all the valves shims, springs followers as per set for each cylinder. Because I've never done it myself, I'd measure the valve clearance on each remaining valve, this information may or may nor be useful when it comes time to re-assemble it. Then I'd take it to a machine shop, fist make sure the head is flat, and then have the valves and seats re-cut, ask them to tell you how much they take off each, again may or may not be useful. They will chemically clean the head and it will all come back like new.

Cleaning the top of block, you need to get the pistons down so 2 at a time, plenty of absorbent rag, there are solvents especially for cleaning those surfaces, no scratching or scouring, probably good to wear rubber cloves. These are the surface that are going to withstand combustion, massive temperatures and pressures, so no short cuts. A steel rule on edge across the surfaces and make sure they're flat, use a feeler gauge. If the cylinder head studs are left in the block, it might be worth taking them out to aid cleaning.

The reason you got the measurements before is that having the seats re-cut changed all the clearances, so at least you can guess a bit with the shims when re-assembling.

Read all the applicable service "notes" to be found in the manual.

And all that is assuming there is no sign of damage to the piston, you're oil pressure is good, and consumption has been negligible and compressions on the other 3 cylinders was good.

You might research to see if any books have been written on building Esprit engines, for hidden tricks, and potential problems. I've never done an Esprit engine so I can only give you principle guide lines.

Cleanliness isn't just next to godliness it's everything. :thumbsup:

I would be looking in the CAT for that piece of valve..... luck if it passed through the turbo without causing any damage.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Ditto the cat - it's a massive sieve!

Brake fluid will eat the carbon or carb-cleaner (xylene) but ceep it away from the block.

I'd strip the lot down though and check all the valves and seats and recut them as required (Minimum grind them in) and repalce all the seals etc.

Non-metallic scrapers only on the machined surfaces - credit cards are good...

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Thanks for info.

Lets hope i have been lucky with the turbo and the cat.

I have ordered parts today from JAE.

The service is exelent there. I recommend it.

Good points Roger. Thanks

You can clean the head with a wire brush such as these in an electric drill.

It's also an excellent opportunity to carry out a little gas flowing of the ports & re-profiling of the inlet valve seats to improve power. If you want further advice let em know. :thumbsup:

Then you can clean the valves by inserting into the drill & using first chisels & then emery cloth to clean them of all the baked on crap & then polish them with a good polish such as Belgom Alu

Here's a Lotus Twincam head I did a few years ago.

Don't forget to check the liner nip before you put it all back together. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Please do not use wire brushes, brass or otherwise, on the head, the brass can be harder then the ali!

Carb cleaner and a nylon brush will clean it up no bother.

I think we all forgot to mention new valve seals.

Not sure what you mean by valve seals Roger. My cylinder head is at the engineers following a disasterous experience with a shattered cam follower. Certainly I would check each follower for cracking or better still invest in a set of steel ones

The exhaust valve guides on mine have too much sideways movement. It seems that these days replacing them is a thing of the past due to difficulties in getting them out and possible damage etc etc. They drill and fit sprung inserts which are then reamed to the exact size of the valve, much cheaper as well

Valve stem seals.

K-liners are very old school valve guide reclamation - valve guides are easy to remove from a hot ali head without damage...

Hi Rich

Do you mean valve seats. There doesn't appear to be any other type of seal or is there something missing which I should be fitting.

I've never seen valve stem seals on a 910 - I assume they were never fitted. Nothing wrong with K-Liners as far as I'm concerned. Do you think there is any issues with them Rich?

Edited by 910Esprit

Apologies, I assumed that was what Rodger meant and I assumed that they were fitted! Apparently not! Any ideas why not?

No problem with K liners as such, it's just odd to hear that the guides could not be removed, replacing valve guides in ali heads is usually cheap too.

Thanks for the help.

The exhaust valve is broken.

Looks like everything else is inn good condition.

Guess i have been lucky.

I had a look at the turbo and it looks good too:)

What can i clean the head and valves with?

Any good products for this?

Steffen

Which cylinder was it?

Just had exactly the same thing on No3

John

My valve tappets are in good condition.

Sorry to hear John.

Nr 2 was broken on my car.

My fuel pressure regulator was not working.

That's were I saw it. :cry: