free hit
counters
Seriously thinking of getting an Esprit - Topics - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Seriously thinking of getting an Esprit

johnh

Hi All

I have loved the Lotus Esprit since I was a kid and now that I can afford one I have decided to start looking around to see what is available.

I was surprised to see that the are a lot more for sale than I thought there would be and at a price ($30000ish) that I could afford.

The thing is that I have never sat in one and before I start to go to see ones that I potentially might buy it would be a good idea to have a talk to people who own them and are not trying to sell it to me.

I am just a bit over 6 foot tall and have heard that it could be a bit of a tight fit but there are things you can do to give more room.

What I would like most is to have a close look at one or two of the cars that you guys own.

I live on the northern beaches of Sydney and could come to your place or where ever or maybe come on one of the runs you organize.

I am fairly mechanically minded and have removed and replaced a few motor of the cars I have owned and quite like working on cars which will probably happen a lot with an Esprit.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Jon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Your in luck as there's a few owners in NSW.

LEFOzMapMaster261008.jpg

Realiability wise, the later the model the higher the reliability. 93 onwards was a big jump.

I've had mine for nine years now with absolutely no issues.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Hi Jon,

There are a bunch of enthusiastic Esprit owners here in Sydney!

Why don't you come along to the monthly Club Lotus Aust meeting tomorrow? :

This month’s General Meeting is at Bruce Mansell’s ever popular restoration workshop in Chatswood – as usual full of fascinating cars and works in progress.

Tues 10-May, from 7:00 pm

Bruce Mansells – Basement of 15-17 Gibbes Street, Chatswood.

Find me there >Robert Costa........

I should have mine there :) ...but other owners should be there as well.

Rob

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

1977 S1 Esprit, in less bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The car's weakest part is the nut holding the steering wheel”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

John

Welcome to the site. Any problems or questions please don't hesitate to contact a moderator.

In response to your questions, I will leave the technical side to those more like minded. However, I can give you a pointer or 2.

I am just over 6ft as well and fitted into the Stevens Esprit fine (Thats the latter more rounded one), From the S4 onwards there was alittle more space inside than the early ones. However, the G car is tighter inside (Classic Wedgie one).

Some of the things even I know about and can check are

1. Pipes rubbing. Many of the brackets were untreated and rusted through, releasing the pipes to rub against sharp or moving surfaces. (Especially true on ex UK cars with Salt treated roads)

2. Chargecooler fault. Many of the Chargecooler cars checked at events have a warm chargecooler. Normally just a fan breaking up issue.

3. Cam belt service. Required every 2 years on many Esprits. Its not cheap either. Factor in £1000 if it hasn't been done just to be safe.

4. FSH. Very important.

5. Esprits like to be run. A car that "hasn't been used in 2 years" may very well have more issues than a "Used every day" car.

6. Oil Leaks. Ahhhh that staple Esprit requirement.

I'll let other people go through the more technical stuff to be aware of.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Hi John. Maybe come along to one of our Sunday morning drives and see a few different Esprit Models. We are going out this coming Sunday if the weather is dry if you want to come along. Most of us will be happy to have you in the passenger seat, and if you're a good lad you might even get a short drive! :thumbup:

Edited by stevem

Too many Toys are never enough !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.