free hit
counters
Windscreen! - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
hopo

Windscreen!

Mine has cracked in the centre at the top... right by the rear view mirror and the crack now extends down into the drivers field of vision. needs a new one to get through an MOT... what are my options? cheap is good. who? what? and more importantly how much?

cheers

Jon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My Windscreen was replaced under my insurance by Autoglass in October last year they also replaced the chrome windscreen surounds and the black strip along the bottom edge of the screen, it just cost me the £75.00 excess .

Alan

Assuming you don't go through your insurance...

Both Lotusbits and SJ were selling them for £250, but wouldn't fit/ship them for insurance reasons.

I still need to get one as my car doesn't have one at present, my info above is a few months old.

SJ sell the trims which are just under £100 for the set of 3.

My GT3 (98) windscreen recently cracked and replacement is being fitted by National Windscreens under insurance (excess £75). They have sourced the glass but I am being told that they cannot get hold of the 'corner clips' trims ? (obolete apparently).

Does anyone know how to get hold of them ? Can they be recovered from the existing windscreen and re-fit ?

I purchased mine from SJ sportscars but was one short, and when speaking with Steve at the time he mentioned he was discontinuing them as they were causing problems.

His answer, which is the only option really, is that the guy installing the trims would just have to use a bit more skill.

Having put them in the trims they don't hold them all that well so I don't think you would be missing much by not having them.

You won't be able to re-use your old trims when the old screen is removed anyway as they will be wrecked.

EDIT - just noticed you have a later car, all the above refers to G cars so what I have put above may not apply!

Edited by Nelly9000

Thanks for your reply. The same may apply to my car - looks like I will need to do a bit more research. Hopefully someone that has been through this learning curve before me (and with a 98 or later car) will jump in here and offer some advice. I find it hard to believe that trims are so hard to get for a 98 car as windscreen damage is going to happen.... (the windcsreen had to be made at pilkingtons - but the trims have proved to be very difficult to get)

Which surely they have to repair or at least compensate you for?

Matt - sounds like a horror story; i will need to watch out when mine gets done by National Windscreens. Are the trims for your model the same as mine (98 GT3) do you know ? And how come Auto Windscreens couln't fit them ? If they are the same for mine then I'd be interested.

I also got the corner clips from Sjs and they worked fine - just flat steel of a certain shape and thickness!

Washer jet doesn't sound like much.....until you try to fit a new one!!!!

Just got mine back from a new windscreen fit at National Windscreens in Aldershot. It took a while to get the glass and trim sourced and sorted, but the guys did great job in the workshop today with the fit. They took plenty of care and pride in the result. Perhaps I am just a grumpy pessimist but I am surprised these days when I experience good service and workmanship ! If anyone needs an Esprit windscreen fitted then I'd recommend these guys.