free hit
counters
We met a really lucky kid yesterday... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

We met a really lucky kid yesterday...

Funny thing happened on the way to Sparky's last night. Driving along the M20 a guy crashed his Alfa in a big way in front of us. You can see where he left the road in the first pic and he ended up perhaps 100m further along by the time he stopped, close to where you can see us parked on the hard shoulder past the sign. He wasn't speeding, there's perhaps a bit of a story with another car cutting him up but he was only a young guy who'd bought the car 2 weeks prior, it was a tidy Alfa 156, looked nice when he passed us a moment before.

Laura and I and another car stopped. Had we not, he was hidden behind a tree so you could hardly see the car from the road. As we ran to the car, coolant and fuel leaking from a knackered front end from the impact and split tank from the somersaults I saw it upside down, buried up to the drivers door where the roof had caved in and a million thoughts rushed through about what to do next, most of them involving getting some dead or very seriously injured people out of the car. Even being a motorsport marshal, I've not had to do anything like this with no equipment wearing just shorts and a shirt, no fireproof overalls. I was running every scenario on what was about to happen and how to deal with it as you do at moments like this, adrenalin is a great focuser of the mind.

Amazingly, really amazingly, Rhys from Laddingford had just crawled out of the passenger door, alive and on the whole in one piece. I've no doubt his seatbelt saved his life, 100%. The car is obviously totalled, he went to hospital on a spinal board in a neck brace just in case and apart from a few cuts on his head, none serious and going into a fairly deep shock he was fine. Miraculous. A really, really lucky kid. Well done to Laura too for doing the job of the ambulance man better than the ambulance man, keeping Rhys talking and lucid to keep him out of shock as long as possible.

post-1-0-36628800-1305464156_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-41159400-1305464153_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-23858400-1305464148_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-57274100-1305464160_thumb.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hell's teeth! It's so well camouflaged that nobody would have noticed it...had you not seen it happen. A miraculous survival story...even with a seat belt, he was stupendously lucky to be able to crawl out and walk away. Thing seems to have been squashed flat!! I wonder what happened for him to lose control in such a spectacular fashion? I can imagine how you felt, with all your Marshall's training but none of the kit!! Thankfully no fire and a happier ending than could have been envisaged.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Good on you Bibs & Laura. I still can`t see the car in the first photo!

I know exactly what you mean and I`ve been marshaling for 35+ years and had a similar road situation a few years ago. Also same when offshore and alarms go or an incident occurs you know there is support. You painted that scenario perfectly as you normally work as part of a team and know there is almost unlimited support being mustered and at the least there is a cage etc. for occupant protection with fuel & battery cut offs etc. The proper adrenaline turns to the brown type later when you slow down and think about `what if`, and also the shakes as it wears off through your system. Can you remember you heart racing after the initial run over and shock that he was basically okay?

Good on you Laura as well for the correct first aid doing exactly the right thing.

Could he have fallen asleep or something like that?

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

That chap is really lucky to still be here. Still makes you think every time you see that result. Have you enquired about his health today?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Unfortunately Ian, we're not able to enquire after him, his phone was lost in the car so he wasn't able to give us his details and I don't know which hospital he was taken to. I gave him our details and asked him to contact us but so far he hasn't. I'd imagine he's got a lot on his mind, the poor lad was petrified!

Wow, good work!

I was first on scene a while back a guy had span his clio and hit a lamppost with no seat belt. he was pretty messed up but alive and conscious.

It took me a while to 'come down' from it so take it easy for the next few days and talk to people! It really helped me, talk to anyone who will listen.

As for the accident victim - contact the cops, they will pass a message on for you.

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

What a bloody mess! If you hadn't said it was an Alfa, I would never have known what make of car it was. Still surprised that someone could get themselves in such a mess on a motorway without hitting something or having a serious mechanical failure. It's always scarey being the first bystander to arrive at the scene of an accident. Glad to see the driver was OK.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Holy Crapola! Looking at that car I bet you must have thought you would need a spatula to get the kid out!! He was very lucky!

Well done Bibs and Laura.

The amount of adreniline that goes through your system when something like this happens before you is unbelieveable. When I was in the Police Force, we used to go to alot of RTA's (now called RTI's) and no matter how much bloody, body parts etc you saw it never hits you till afterwards. Thats when you start shaking and thinking "Holy crap! that was intense!".

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Just goes to show that the spirit of the human mind prevails. A lucky boy. What caused it Bibbo, do you know?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Rhys needs to get himself a Lotto ticket - Very lucky lad!!!!

Well done to Bibs and Paramedic Laura x

Aimee Mitchell

[email protected]

You can now now follow us on Facebook and Twitter;

www.facebook.com/LotusSilverstone | www.twitter.com/LotusUKDealer | www.twitter.com/aimsomitch

To make the world even smaller, Rhys and his ma/pa were in a pub we drink in regularly this afternoon! He's fine, I assured his Dad that it wasn't his driving to blame and it was nice to see that he's suffered no ill effects from his accident. All's well that ends well :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.