free hit
counters
84 Esprit - Pull the bodyshell? - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Ok...thinking about where I'm at with my 84 Restoration...engine/gearbox are pulled...brake/clutch lines cleared, master cylinders out, calipers off, cooling system drained, fuel tanks out...

How much work is it to pull the body off the frame? Has anyone done any writeups on this? Wondering if it would be a lot easier to work on the rest of my suspension/frame/etc cleanup and do some extra restoration on the inaccessible items now, if I can lift the body out of the way for the time being... but ....I don't want to be digging myself a big hole here as I'm doing proactive work on the chassis and not trying to field any damage/rust issues...which of course would probably require me to pull the body if that was the situation...

Pete

Swore there would be no more Lotus Restorations again - But I bought it anyway :) - As Bond would say, 'Never Say Never'...others say "Some never learn"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a big job. Lots of bolts to be removed. Steering column out, pedal box out. front under bonnet needs to be cleared, essentially. Then, some way to lift it without damaging it. Usually best to enroll help of several strong mates and then pull the chassis away from under the lifted body. The lift needs to be high enough to clear the gear stick and top of the front suspension.

I would hate to have to do it again!

If I did, I would seriously consider hiring/borrowing/buying a 2 post lift.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein