free hit
counters
Where to attach a load leveler to remove engine? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
glynherron

Where to attach a load leveler to remove engine?

Well guys, tomorrow is the day to lift out the engine/gearbox.

I've bought a hoist, load leveler and an engine stand!

So where do I attach the load leveler. I'm worried about putting strain on components and causing damage.

Any photos or suggestions??

Cheers

Glyn

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I cannot think of anywhere suitable (strength not an issue, just access) for using chains directly. You could use a rope or two. One loop under the front of the engine one under the front of the transaxle.

I used a load leveller on my Glynn.I secured one chain eye with a gearbox bolt into the mating face for the gearbox bell housing and wrapped the other end of the chain through a bracket at the front. I have attached some photos but is not very clear. But you can get the idea mate.

12102007371-1.jpg

12102007369.jpg

12102007372-1.jpg

12102007368-2.jpg

10102007356.jpg

12102007371-1.jpg

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Lordy, what a lovely sight. That really floats my boat.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

What my Engine floating in the air your Sparkyness?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

IMHO, you guys are sure putting a lot of faith in the strength of a couple of relatively thin castings...

1995 S4s

Thanks guys and Paul for pics, but now I'm worried about the strength of the chains, although the unit is rated at 500kg!!

IMHO, you guys are sure putting a lot of faith in the strength of a couple of relatively thin castings...

Not all all. They are not thin, not even relatively. That's where the gearbox bolts on! Its not even thin by Chapman's standards.

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Hah. Not your chains Glynn. I was referring to Mr Knowles.

And your engine does not weigh half a metric tonne.

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Nuffin sexier than a Lotus lump dangling off a hoist.

Well...

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Load levellers, chains.... Etc...

What happened to the good old wrapping a rope around the engine and engine hoist? That's all I've ever used and as long as you are sensible how you rope you can easily adjust the level of the load when your lifting it using 1 hand.

I think you will be hugely surprised at how easy it will be to manoeuvre.

Good luck dude :)

Chunky Lover

Well I'm two engine and gearbox mounts away.guess what I'm doing on bank holiday monday! Cheers guy, if I'm not too filthy I'll try to take some pics

Glyn

Paul,

That bolt hole may be one that holds the gearbox on but it also has 8 or so other bolts helping it do the job. And the stress on the hole is in a totally different direction than what it was designed for when lifting it as opposed to holding the gearbox on. The casting is less than 3/8" of an inch thick in some areas.

I would never consider even bolting the block to an engine stand with one or two bolts, much less lifting it out of the car.

Again, this is just an opinion and I'm sure many have done it with 2 bolts and some chain, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

1995 S4s

Yup, its your opinion Jim. I am safe and not sorry, so all is well.

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Well. I've never been so worried, but the engine/gearbox is now out and on the floor

Hard work when you're flying solo.....

2011-06-11%25252016.08.55.jpg

2011-06-11%25252016.00.10.jpg

When I mount the engine to the engine stand, how much thread needs to go into the block?

All of the engine/gearbox bolts are too short!!

I'll get there in the end!

Step by step.......

Glyn

The starter ones will be of great use. Try and use as many with full thread engagement (based on the thread in the ali) as you can, . If you have to mark the bolts with a numbering sequence or length type and move them round such that all four or five of the engine stand attchment points all have bolts full thread engagement.

The starter ones will be of great use. Try and use as many with full thread engagement (based on the thread in the ali) as you can, . If you have to mark the bolts with a numbering sequence or length type and move them round such that all four or five of the engine stand attchment points all have bolts full thread engagement.

Thanks Andy

I wonder if threaded bar is the way forward?

Keep in mind a lot of threaded car that's easily accessed (B&Q etc) is not of a great tensile strenght so you can quite easily remove threads of the bar/ nut that way. One good point is that you are less lilely to strip the threads of the ali block that way.

You only secure the engine to the stand with what, four bolts? You'll have at least four that will go through the stand, the casting and have enough thread.

Keep in mind a lot of threaded car that's easily accessed (B&Q etc) is not of a great tensile strenght so you can quite easily remove threads of the bar/ nut that way. One good point is that you are less lilely to strip the threads of the ali block that way.

You only secure the engine to the stand with what, four bolts? You'll have at least four that will go through the stand, the casting and have enough thread.

That's my thinking - at least 4 studs that are full depth....

Any other comments................

Not sure on the size sorry.

Just wander down with one of your engine/gearbox bolts and try a nut on them, you'll quickly find out which is the right size.

I meant if your removing the crank not the sump! I'm a doofus at times!

Chunky Lover

Ok, they're M10 and guess what... no bar in that size!

So purchased some extra long bolts - just need to cut off their heads.

Clean up job next.......

Ok, they're M10 and guess what... no bar in that size!

So purchased some extra long bolts - just need to cut off their heads.

Clean up job next.......

OK, so engine is now mounted on the engine stand.

I had to remove the rear crank seal housing first though.

The button head screws were a pain though. All would not budge and ended up rounding the internal hex. I ended up using a dot punch to mark and then knock the screws loose.

I thought that the exhaust was blowing due to 2 exhaust studs missing, but on cleaning up the manifold I have foound a hole, so better get saving for a new manifold. The studs look like stainless though, so I wonder if the manifold has been replaced at some time. How do I tell if its a SWLotus one?? The nuts were strange too. None would move so used the chisel tactic to crack them. But they seemed to be made of cast steel?? They came away in chuncks....

Photos are to follow.....

2011-06-14%25252020.41.57.jpg

2011-06-14%25252020.41.32.jpg

2011-06-14%25252020.41.32.jpg

2011-06-14%25252020.42.13.jpg

2011-06-14%25252020.43.33.jpg

2011-06-15%25252019.55.17.jpg

2011-06-15%25252019.54.51.jpg

2011-06-15%25252019.53.58.jpg

2011-06-15%25252019.53.58.jpg

Edited by glynherron