free hit
counters
Esprit colour change? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit colour change?

islandbloke

Lottie's second coat of Calypso Red is fading - the original paint lasted around six years before going dull and bleaching out, the second has lasted a similar time and is getting a bit pink...I know it's probably because she's always been parked outside.

At some point in the future (when funds permit) I'll need to have this sorted. I'm considering three options and would welcome your thoughts:

1. Respray again in red and use an outdoors cover more often!

2. Respray in Norfolk Mustard (I really like yellow!)

3. Go for a vinyl wrap (midlife crisis, I'm tempted by carbon or chrome) - should last 4 years but only costs around £1200 a time.

Whaddya fink, chums?

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Yet to see an Esprit with a wrap. Be the first Stu! ;)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

If you can get a carbon or chrome wrap for £1200 go for it....all my research showed carbon or chrome to be 'orribly expensive, whereas normal colours are quite reasonable. Thinking of getting the kitcar chrome wrapped...so if you find a good source, let us know!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The carbon will be more expensive than the chrome beaucse of the cost of the material.

I certainly would not recommend getting a vinyl wrap in a solid colour - it doesn't look as good as paint and is very obvious as to what it is. Fine with the chrome or carbon though.

Make sure whoever you choose knows what they are doing - its not easy and the company need to use the right grade of vinyl as the normal stuff won't reshape with heat after its stretched.

The company I work for have done them, we did a full graphic wrap on a Ford Focus last week.

Edited by Nelly9000

Stealth.

Just seen Defoe's Bentley done in it, and you're as famous over there Stu as he is elsewhere.

Plus your dawn raids will be way under the radar :thumbsup:

Dave.

Yet to see an Esprit with a wrap. Be the first Stu! ;)

It is not the first Esprit wrap Ian. Karl did this some time ago. If you want to see his "Stealth" Its the future, click below;

Vinyl Wrap

4923033798_25ca4612e2_z.jpg

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Red matt wrap ! ;)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Toby - how do you find the wrap? Are you happy withy the result, or wish you'd had a respray?

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Respray wasn't an option, Medina green is too rare but fancied a change!!

Wrap is okay, would agree with the comments on here about needs some texture, I have the roof, sill vents and rear deck done in 3M carbon look.

You can polish it and generally the finish is good, you will know its not paint but I think thats part of the point!!

You do get what you pay for, mine was cheap and done by a mate so not perfect but still pretty good.

The best thing is when people who saw the car before ask if you've had it painted and you say no its a sticker!!

I did deliberately have some of the shuts left green so if the police start to give me grief I can show its a wrap.

You DO NOT have to inform the DVLA so no show of colour change when you come to sell the car!!

Easy to wash and will keep the paint alright underneath (mine was shot already though)

If you went for the all over 3M carbon look their would be no polishing to be done. if I was suggest a colour I reckon satin/matt white might look good!!

I use a custom shop that did a wrap for a huge Hockey star here in DC. It looks great, but it cost about as much as a color change would have -- ~$12K I'm told . You get what you pay for!

ovicarspot3.jpg

There's only ONE reason to do a wrap: its reversible. Paint is better in every other way.

Edited by karmavore

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)