free hit
counters
Rear caliper handbrake assy - unrebuildable? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
DayOff

Rear caliper handbrake assy - unrebuildable?

I was looking at the rear calipers tonight and trying to figure out how to approach rebuilding these things....

In the Lotus service manual, it says something to the effect of 'dont try to disassemble the caliper handbrake assembly - if faulty, replace'. That's no fun... plus I'm sure I'll get a few laughs calling around for this one...so back to the question: rebuild/leave alone...

Has anyone attempted rebuilding one of these, or disassembly/cleanup? I see there's a seal right under the lever...but without some details or photos on how it's assembled, I'm not sure i want to make this thing completely unusable by trying to proactively rebuild the things... What have you restorers out there been doing with the rear brakes? I was going to get the calipers bodies ceramic coated, but I'm not sure the coating shop is going to want to work with this assembled thing with rubber seals in it!

Pete

Swore there would be no more Lotus Restorations again - But I bought it anyway :) - As Bond would say, 'Never Say Never'...others say "Some never learn"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I know the bottom of the caliper is held on by 3 screws and seals with o-ring cord shaped to fit a groove. I had to take them off my calipers to release the pistons when I was getting my S2 roadworthy. Didn't even have to replace the o-rings and never had a problem after they were reassembled.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I done mine ok but they are the post 1985 ones?

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

They're pretty simple for the main part. Replacing seals is easy. The main issue is if the selfadjusting handbrake ratchet system is damaged. The plines on the piston can wear then it becomes a replacement job. I have a bunch of photos form my rebuild if you need anything.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Do you have pictures of the handbrake ratchet system during disassembly? Not sure how that's supposed to come apart, but there's at least one seal under the ratcheting arm that I'd like to replace....

Pete

Swore there would be no more Lotus Restorations again - But I bought it anyway :) - As Bond would say, 'Never Say Never'...others say "Some never learn"

Hi Pete,

I don't as that never came apart. I replaced all the seals that came in the 'seal kit'. I couldn't see how the ratchet came apart and as it was working I didn't feel the need to dismantle anything beyond the photo.

DSCF5930.jpg

Hope it's of some use, sorry if it's not.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thanks anyways, yeah - I'm just curious about that handbrake piece... there's a seal under the lever...so i'm sort of wondering what 27 years (and 10 years of sitting doing nothing) has done to that seal...and whatever else is inside...I don't think the seal is in the kit either...but your photo makes it look like it's a piston that fits into that handbrake housing piece...mine doesn't stick out that far, so maybe that pulls right out....?

Pete

ugh, nevermind...went out to the garage and noticed I was mistaken... that second half doesn't look different on mine...doesn't look fun to disassemble :)

Pete

The e brake Assembly can be pulled apart but getting replacement seals is the part that is hard . I,m looking for them now!

Compress the spring in a vice using a large socket( 30mm i think) this enables you to remove the large circlip!

Release the vice and it will come apart.

Then remove a small bean shaped metal rod , then draw out the e brake lever.

Let me know if you find a comprehensive rebuild kit for the whole caliper , I need several!

Mark,

I forgot to mention at the CLA picnic about this thread.

Fiat Croma.....

Rob

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone :-(

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The parts falling from this car are examples of the finest British craftsmanship”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Just to throw this information out there, I've rebuild a couple rear calipers where the handbrake mechanism was frozen. I soaked that part in homemade penetrating fluid, a 50/50 ,ix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Let it soak for a few days as required, taking it out and exercising a couple times a day if possible. It has worked great for me.