free hit
counters
Cleaning a GT3 interior, what do you use? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Cleaning a GT3 interior, what do you use?

After 7 years of ownership I still cannot find a product that properly cleans the rubber like material used to trim the GT3. Everything I seem to use leaves a patchy finish. Do any other GT3 owners know of products that give a better result? Even if they are not an automotive based product. Maybe I should give Kim & Aggie a call.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you already tried Autoglym's Vynil & Rubber Care ??

Works a treat for me (never tried on a GT3 mind you) on anything rubber. Just spray, let it "dry" a bit then wipe with a clean clothe to get a good finish.

Edited by Vince

Thanks Vince,

To be fair of all the stuff I have tried the Autoglym one is the best but still it doesn't leave an even finish. The dash tunnel & door cards on a GT3 are covered in a rubber like material which I am led to believe is the same stuff Ducati cover their seats in. I love the look of it but its a nightmare to clean and marks easily.

I remember when we had the chat with Brian Angus at the factory, all the V8 and GT3 guys getting upset as they swore the leather conditioners they used made a difference despite the fact being told that by that year the leather hide was sealed and they might as well have been conditoning plastic...

However, despite the vast array of fancy products you can get for seats/dash/glass/upholstery/plastic/carpet etc (probably all a different colour of the exact same thing)...

...I just carry some kitchen roll and whatever kitchen spray we have and do it with (mr muscle multi task kitchen at the moment, just went to check). Sure guys take the piss but at the end of the day the similar unidentified clear liquid they spray on their plastic and wipe away? Whats actually so special about it? Is it bought purely as it made by the same guys that make the wax they use?

:D

Autoglym would sucker you into buying a seperate spray to polish your gearknob and handbrake, both being the same non greasy wet detergent you could get for a couple of quid at sainsburys.

That's just my opinion of course, i'm sure some 'micro-wax-new-car-smell-interior-spray' for £10 is just as good as shining up a bit of black plastic thats actually no different to the black plastic my frying pan handle is made of...

Use some vim on it mate.

:)

Edited by Paul C

Paul,

Good point well made. Not fussed where it comes from or what It is, as long as it does a good job. It is easy to get suckered into buying a different cleaner for everything, and also falling for the speel of Autoglym et al. Cheap stuff or household stuff can be just as good. When at shows I used to use a speed detailer that is nearly a tenner a bottle until I came across some stuff at the Range for a quid thats just as good. Its just this rubbery stuff is so bloody awkward.

• 2 weeks later...
:huh: Sure you didn't read it in a joke book? Peanut butter is mainly fat, can't see it being much use to clean anything!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Autoglym would sucker you into buying a separate spray to polish your gearknob and handbrake,

Hmmm... I don't hold any shares of Autoglym, but I don't think this is fair. I don't know what their marketing is like today, but when I discovered their products nealry 10 years ago, it was exactly the opposite of what you say: the video presenting the "Vinyl and Rubber care" explicitly invited you to use it on a very broad range of bits on the car be it outside, inside or in the engine compartment.

GasmanGT3, failing everything, you say the same stuff is used on Ducat bikes, so you could always find a forum discussing these bikes, and ask for their feedback..

Edited by Vince