free hit
counters
Help Needed - Ignition Problem - Bike Banter - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Help Needed - Ignition Problem

hedgerley

I have a 1992 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100. A few weeks ago it refused to start. The battery is strong and the starter motor spins with gusto. Long story short, I did all the usual checks and eventually suspected the CDI unit as there was no spark on any plug and it's a common problem in older Zephyrs. Gave up trying to find one (they are very rare, nothing on eBay at the time, nor the dealer network, including US and even Japan drew a blank)) and sent the unit off to be tested and fixed. Sure enough it needed repairing. It arrived back yesterday but still no joy.

Anyhow, after checking through all the wiring, connectors and fuses again I've realised I have another symptom. Its actually a Japanese market bike, imported into the UK privately I believe and all the time I've had it (5+ years) both the head and tail lamps come on when the ignition is switched on, before the starter is pressed. Except tonight I realised they don't. All other electrics - indicators, brake light, horn - work fine.

It would appear that no lights is connected to no spark somehow, or is this a coincidence?

I've posted in the bike forums but thought I'd tap into the collective wisdom here. I was supposed to be at the TT this week and this scuppered me. Any experts out there shed any light, no pun intended....

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume the bike has a run switch on one of the handgrips? Do you know whether the lights went out if you flicked the run switch to the off position? I am wondering if both the lights and the ecu are powered by the handgrip switch? I am not sure if my beemer turns the lights off if the run switch is off. Can check tomorrow and let you know. I know the starter does not turn if the run switch is off, but that does not mean that the run switch does not power up several relays. i.e. lights, starter, ecu etc.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.