free hit
counters
Pulled over for no reason? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Pulled over for no reason?

Ok...

As it was the last nice day until the middle of next week, i got home from work and went out for a drive. 100 yards from my house there is a school crossing so i was doing no more than 20mph as i passed it. I was in a row of about six other cars slowing for a car at the front to turn right. I could see two coppers and a car in the layby just up the road, at this point i was trying to keep it rolling at about 5mph in second (first is a bitch to get when moving). So i drove in line with all the cars in front of me towards the coppers and their empty layby. I was 200 yards from home in the early rush hour and had not seen 30mph on the speedo yet.

For the record, the porsche speedo shows 5mph too much, have been meaning to take the needle of and reposition but i also kind of like knowing that if i see 30mph on the speedo i'm doing less.

The copper lets all the cars past, but pulls me over. After taking my details and address he said he pulled me as i was going 'a bit too fast', I was flabergasted as until that point i was wondering what kind of random test/reason had led them to pick me out of a line of slow moving traffic.

I asked 'how fast did you clock me?' and he said he was not required to tell me as i was neither being cautioned or charged. I did not argue as i was not 'being done' and i know what these guys are like - thick as thieves - i'd be pulled all the time.

I honestly think they pulled me over just to have the car in the Layby for five minutes for everyone to sneer at. Is it a Porsche thing?

:D

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Older sportscars are often on Classic car insurance policies. These often exclude commuting cover so at rush hour they might have wondered if the Porsche was fully insured.

Alternatively they just liked the look of it and wanted a closer look see :)

Just hope no-one saw me.

:)

The 911 is a great car, but it's a Porsche and it's german. I've not exactly told people about it. My mate Phil has to endure YEARS of me ranting at him for endlessly buying german cars, i've always gone for the throat each time he gets another one, i've made such a twat of myself by never giving up on it, never letting go, always on about him driving over the landing beaches in his big bosch tank, etc, etc. I was drinking with him last friday and was thinking 'sooner or later he'll find out', this kind of thing won't help, Red porsche, Police car, Me, centre of town at rush hour. Christ i did not even have my shades on.

other residents around the town may have reported you for fast driving on different day (even if you weren't, others perception is all that matters) and so when the cops saw you they took an opportunity to have a word. Our local bobbies have words with the boy racers around town here after complaints from residents when they drive too fast in the estates.

If you get pulled over you are within your rights to take there coller number and also the station they are based at. They don't like it but your entitled to.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

other residents around the town may have reported you for fast driving on different day (even if you weren't, others perception is all that matters) and so when the cops saw you they took an opportunity to have a word. Our local bobbies have words with the boy racers around town here after complaints from residents when they drive too fast in the estates.

Not the case, i live in town and all my mates have kids in town, i neither drive around in it or speed in it, at the end of the day two minutes in any direction and i've got the cotswolds.

They were parked up in a layby ready to pull cars in. I had not used the 911 since Castle Combe so i'm sure they were not waiting for me specifically. Am thinking that bored of slow moving traffic they pulled me out of interest and thats it, i figure he would not show me the speed gun result due to it being either 25mph or simply not even turned on.

The boy racers in my town hang out in sainsburys carpark, passing joints from car to car and taking it in turns to race round the estates on friday and saturday night, it's safe then as the police are all parked up in town eyeing up the totty. It's been like that for ten years and seems to work for both parties.

:thumbsup:

If you get pulled over you are within your rights to take there coller number and also the station they are based at. They don't like it but your entitled to.

I know where they are from, the local nick. I regard the local police as a Lazy boys club at the best of times, make a complaint and make myself known and they will 100% be on the lookout in future to waste my time at the expense of doing something useful. We all know thats exactly what will happen. Honestly, they should sack, say, five of them and use all the money saved to give me a bigger wheelie bin, hell i'd chip in if it was not enough!

:D

They won't give a toss if you take their number, who cares? What are you going to do with it? The Police get a million complaints a year about harrassment, it's part and parcel of what they do and you might as well ask how many sugars they have in their tea.

Now if they caution you and you exercise your right to refer to PACE, that pisses them off no end!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Guest WausauLotus

What does this mean??????????????????

Now if they caution you and you exercise your right to refer to PACE, that pisses them off no end!

Dumb in the USA

PACE is a fairly substantial set of manuals basically governing many Police procedures. You're legally entitled to read it to understand what the Police are doing to you and they don't carry it in the car. Someone will have to fetch it from the station or you'll be taken there and you can take as long as you want until you are happy with your comprehension of what's happening and that's it's right.

Oh and Paul, it was your face, you look shifty mate...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

As an ex Copper (Yes really) I can tell you Paul that any Copper worth his salt wouldn't have pulled you for no reason.....unfortunately there are too many who aren't worth their salt, its the primary reason I left. Too many people in for the badge and the power kick.

I was once pulled over by 2 coppers with the sole purpose of looking at my Esprit they hadn't seen one close up for so long. They just said "don't worry chap we were just interested in your car". They were real buffs and knew loads about the car and I was happy to chat about it.

As for the German Porker thing, yes. Maybe not so much with a classic but I know for a fact that people who have Porkers and even BMW's don't get much respect on the road. I also think it natural that a sports car will get pulled by police more than a "normal" car.

From your circumstances I would say that they knew you weren't speeding and maybe just wanted to check details on their computer while you were stationary. You do look a bit suss as Bibs said!! :innocent:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Bang on Kimbers. They are all the same tubby sargent major wannabe's that were too gutless to join the army but act like they are actually in it. Bizzarely i have found the same type of guys tend to run paintball events too. Plastic FFFing Rambos, every last one.

Am well calm about it mind.

Have decided the best approach is to carry a replica firearm. Then, next time i'm stopped, i'll make them do things to each other while i film it on my phone.

:5

LMAO!! :unworthy:

Then spend the next 10 years being Rogered by Big Len in the prison showers!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

You know him too? That bitch was cheating again!!

OK, some police might well be pillocks but so too might some motorists - as with just about all other groupings.

In the 1970s I was stopped some seventeen times at the last count, in my JPS Europa. "Just checking sir. Where have you been? Where are you going?" That sort of invariably unprovocative and friendly interrogation. While it was irritating and I wasn't being stopped for a contravention of some aspect of motoring law, on reflection I could have been the thief of someone else's car.

We tend to want others checked but not ourselves. It's one of the many cases of damned if the do, damned if they don't.

Maybe because I am older, I haven't been stopped for ages.

People who use "entitlements" to make like difficult for the police are actually abusing the entitlements that are intended to protect all of us. Discuss.

Edited by Winter