free hit
counters
Forged pistons ... recommendations ? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Forged pistons ... recommendations ?

I need to replace all the pistons and liners in my V8 engine and thought I would be better to replace the stock units with forged ones.

Does anyone have any recommendations and have any idea of cost ?

Regards,

Craig.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Graig,

Most folks go for JE pistons, which are sourced through JAE Parts in the States - contact Jeff or Jay.

JAE Parts

The last time I ordered a set, they were 1840USD - that was with the optional low friction skirt and high temp. crown coating.

You might also want to consider the ARP head stud kit that they offer - especially if you have thoughts for increasing boost at some point in the future.

Drop Jeff an email he is great to deal with.

The liners are available from Lotus, but only as a complete piston/liner assy. If possible, you´ll want the B-grade liners for use with the JE pistons. In any case, it would make sense to have a machine shop check the JE piston/OE liner combo and hone match for the skirt clearance of 3-4 thou.

If you are going to aquire the piston liner assy. from Lotus, I would be interested in buying the pistons/rings if they are surplus to your needs?

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Mike,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. Very helpful.

I have a UK source looking into JE Pistons so I will see what they come up with and compare with JAE.

I have also spoken to Omega who can make some up, but the minimum order is 12 but I suppose I can sell the additional 4. Have you heard of them ?

I will be ordering a piston/liner set from SJ Sportscars so quite happy to offload the pistons if you want.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Graig,

I have used a set of the Omega pistons for the V8. They were sourced by the previous owner of my car, but he never got around to fitting them.

I didn´t mention them as I do not have the part number to hand. From my records, I had problems with the top ring gap on the Omega ring and was forced to use a Lotus OE top ring. The pistons were nice and light and after 5000miles I´ve not got any problems with the pistons at all. Engine is running 1 bar boost and everything is holding together very nicely.

grq4v3x1m_7c81b98.jpg

grq4v3v2m_d29de0e.jpg

I will need a further set of forged pistons for another build, so if you´re interested we could work something out on ordering up two sets of 8. PM me if that is of interest?

Cheers,

Mike S

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica