free hit
counters
Breaking seal on sump - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Breaking seal on sump

Mike6

Removing sump in situ with clutch still in place. Its seems to be stuck like Sh.t. Is there a magic word I need to use or perhaps some handy designed lips to facilitate removal (cannot imagine Lotus would have done this).

Before anyone suggests it I have removed all the bolts including the two going into the clutch housing. Have placed a long screwdriver against the joint and gently tapped it but nothing gives. Don't want to whack it too much for fear of shattering the casing.

Any suggestions what to do.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Hi Mike

You'd have to go a long way to break the casing, but it's prudent to be careful. There are a few points where you could lever against protrusions etc. to get it off. Remember it's not a gasket - just lots of sealant. Next task, if the oil strainer is still in place (and I know the engine is) - find the difficult-to-reach bolts that secure the baffle to the sump and prevent you from getting it past the strainer! See you in Brighton...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I've just taken mine off (and many other parts too), although mine is on an engine stand.

I used a rubber mallet to tap it from side to side. I can't remember if its on dowels, but I don't think it is, so it's just a matter of breaking the seal.

You won't break the casting with a rubber mallet I sure!!

Glyn

Success, a tap in the right place and down it came. Managed to wiggle it out without the problems described by Sparky and strainer is still in place.

I remember that there were air con pipes running under the sump which I stripped out a year or so ago. Perhaps that might have made access restricted.

Just wondering whether to spend time polishing up the inside of the sump - will that increase performance (joke)