free hit
counters
1988 Lotus Esprit low compression on 4 cylinders - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
P-Nice

1988 Lotus Esprit low compression on 4 cylinders

Hello I have a 1988 Lotus esprit Turbo, 60,000 km on the engine, just replaced my timing belt, altenator belt, and other small works, brakes etc. I havent been driving it for some time 2yrs, and it sat in my garage for 4yrs prior and I want to know if anyone have info on why the compression is operating at 75% on each cylinder? I haven't tried everything possible yet whereas I was getting good boost and power b4 changing the timing Belt. Help anyone please!!!! throw ideas as to the problem for me so I can troubleshoot, thanks

P-Nice from Canada

Edited by P-Nice

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What do you define as "operating at 75%" with regard to compression?

Normally people quote compression as a pressure figure, compression ratio as a pure number, or leak as a %age figure.

Does it drive OK?

Lots of things can cause poor compression for example if you did not fully open the throttle during the test or have a slightly flat battery (low RPM gives low compression). A compression test is a good thing to do if you have a problem, but it the car is OK to drive dont worry.

What are the actual PSI /. bar readings?

The most important thing is that they are all within 10% of each other. Your gauge could be up the spout!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Just discovered why my compression was completely shot. The piston rings are completely worn with top compression ring from each piston pushing into bore without effort. Hardly any thickness at gap. Are you getting any oil into bore.

You could also have problems with valve seating but as others have said its the difference in reading that counts.

Make sure engine is hot when doing test, that all plugs are removed, that battery is fully charged, that you depress clutch, open throttle completely and then take reading .

Another thought if all was ok before changing timing belt. If you didnt line up markings on pulley correctly you could be slightly out on cam timing, not enough for valves to knock on piston crowns but just enough to lose compression as valves might not be closing fully.

Ok I will get my mechanic friend to help me with the readings, etc and trouble shoot the info given i'll be back with the results thanks,

P-Nice