free hit
counters
Help with Essex - Panasonic RM610 cockpit audio system - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Chris1

Help with Essex - Panasonic RM610 cockpit audio system

Many years ago (1988) I spotted one of these fitted to the roof of a taxi I was riding in, in Kuala Lumpur. It was a beaten-up Nissan Cedric.

I frantically started pointing at it and waving notes at the driver but didnt get any positive response.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

i have also a roof radio, the 610 and the sound is good, it was also a very expensive option on a esprit (only in the beginning)

i am happy to have one inside my car, !

7 minutes ago, Tocus said:

i have also a roof radio, the 610 and the sound is good, it was also a very expensive option on a esprit (only in the beginning)

i am happy to have one inside my car, !

so, you don't want to sell it to me then ?  :)

i never ever sell it, also not when they offer me 2500k only for the radio,

and i also dont want to sell the car,

On 6/29/2011 at 23:31, skiing said:

HI Chris,

The unit was not re-covered to match the trim - the trip either side was a light grey (matching the header rails).

The unit was cut about an inch beyond the third stereo panel (the panel which just says Panasonic RM610 on in (there was a higher specification version of this stereo the RM-E610 which had a graphic equalizer in this panel).

The surround is foam rubber glued onto a thin metal frame - I cut through the foam with a scapel (after careful measurement) and sawed through the metal frame with a hack saw.

I left approxiately an inch of the frame extending beyond the foam surround which I then bent at right angles (after passing through the trim above the bulkhead) and screwed to the wooden rear bulkhead.

As small black plastic panel is then glued to the rear of the stereo (where there is now a gap where the rear light used to be - now removed as you have shortened the stereo).

Wiring runs from the front of the system into the header rail (removable via screws at the ends and either side of the mirror) - the aerial wire runs down the driver's side a pillar and all the other wires down the passenger A pillar (in a right hand driver car).

Amplifier is mounted behind the passenger seat.

I ran the amplifier power from the boot battery through the rubber grommet that that handbrake cable runs through (accessible through the access hole under the sill and below the fuel tank) and into the cabin.) although there might be an easier way to run the cabling as getting it through the grommet was not easy.

I used the power (switch on and constant live) from the old car stereo - extending the wires to run to the amplifier) - however, here if you have the original amplifier it should be easier - mine needed to be re-wired as the amp was missing.

The front of the stereo console, I attached using a metal bracket which ran from the loop at the front of the cassette player and then flat against the roof before screwing to the wooden rail which runs underneath the header rail.

It needs to sit flat on the roof so the header trim can sit over it and flush to the roof - I also cut two notches in the header trim to run the wires through.

As I had an overhead clock - I had to remove this - I relocated it to a new panel in place of the old stereo in front of the gearstick.

As I still have the void where the clock went (I dont want to rebuild the header trim to the Essex / early turbo way, removing the clock, as I may want to remove the stereo in the future if I sell the car)...

I am building a little enclosure for my square ipod nano in place of the clock - which will allow me to play my music through the console (when I had it re-wired, the electricians fitted a line in for me)

I would show you photos but the car is in for work at the moment.

Steve Tryner also sent me photos in the past of the stereo in his Essex - let me have your email and I can forward you those.

Henry

Hi Henry,

so the RM610 console does not fit 'out of the box' then?  You have to cut it up (ouch). Did Lotus have to do this too, or was one specially made to fit the essex?  Do you have pictures of how you did the 'cut and shut' please?

On 1/27/2016 at 10:20, Tocus said:

11izgxx.jpg

2ns051w.jpg

did you 'cut up' your RM610 to fit as well?

my car was orginal fitted with that, i thought its not been cut up.. maby somebody knows it here on this forum,

I think they were cut - I cut mine - the surround is a soft foam and then a metal frame underneath - this can stick out a bit to attach to the rear bulk head. There is then a small plastic panel which fills the gap of the cut part (which was formerly the dome light at the back of the stereo) - this doesn't fit at all. 

4 hours ago, skiing said:

I think they were cut - I cut mine - the surround is a soft foam and then a metal frame underneath - this can stick out a bit to attach to the rear bulk head. There is then a small plastic panel which fills the gap of the cut part (which was formerly the dome light at the back of the stereo) - this doesn't fit at all. 

skiing, I sent you a PM.

On 1/2/2016 at 02:52, skiing said:

Hi Henry,

are you able to email me some photos of exactly where you cut the console please?

27 minutes ago, skiing said:

Of course. pM me your email. Thanks. 

pm sent.  thank you

On 15/2/2016 at 08:25, skiing said:

Of course. pM me your email. Thanks. 

Have sent you another PM Henry

On 09/01/2012 at 23:54, Veilside said:

Chris the amplifier usually sits upright at the bottom of the passenger foot well behind a wooden panel covered with matching carpet so you don't know it's down there. The wiring from the roof consul then runs along inside of the top windscreen cant rail and down the inside of the LH windscreen trim and round the back of the dash to the amp. The power is usually taken from one of the 2 fuse box's in the glove compartment.

Steve T

Is the Amp fitted to the bulkhead or to the back of the wooden panel which hides it? 

Richard

A pic of the graphic equaliser option as fitted to the RM-E610.

This replaces the blanking panel on the RM-610. Not sure how effective it is.

IMG_4451.JPG

I managed to find one of these, although its an RM310. The main difference is the 310 has a 4-channel amp built in. The arrangement of controls is different but functions seem to be the same. It has AM radio as well as FM, I believe the 610 is only FM?

It was in a bit of a state owing to moisture ingress but now fully working after cleaning, fixing some corroded switches and bad solder joints.

The problem is, my cant rail trim has the clock housing which protrudes approx 10mm. I am not sure whether to leave this or get a trim without it. Some space would have had to be left presumably on the original Essex installation for the power and aerial connectors which protrude. So my question is, does anyone have a picture showing how far the unit is separated from the cant rail trim on an Essex or could guesstimate the gap?

Removing the clock housing also means changing to a stick on mirror which is less than ideal as in my experience (Europa) they always fall off.

Thanks

DSCN3407.JPG

Hi Andy

Though I can't help with the dimension you are after I will be using my original 'clock' cant rail as a basis to make a grp mould from, which I can then 'fill in' the clock part and remake an Essex/S2 style rail so I can fit my RM610. 

Great pics thanks! In fact I think this confirms I could leave the clock housing/bolt-on mirror support in place and the console would end up in the same place. Not too worried about making it an exact Essex clone as the model isnt really the exact one anyway, plus the whole thing will easily be reversible.

Next step is the CAD and 3D print the centre console cubby hole and clock surround.

2 hours ago, RichardJGC said:

Hi Andy

Though I can't help with the dimension you are after I will be using my original 'clock' cant rail as a basis to make a grp mould from, which I can then 'fill in' the clock part and remake an Essex/S2 style rail so I can fit my RM610. 

SJ have the no-clock trim listed, although not too sure about the quality of their GRP parts! The picture of it doesnt look brilliant.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Great pics thanks! In fact I think this confirms I could leave the clock housing/bolt-on mirror support in place and the console would end up in the same place. Not too worried about making it an exact Essex clone as the model isnt really the exact one anyway, plus the whole thing will easily be reversible.

Next step is the CAD and 3D print the centre console cubby hole and clock surround.

SJ have the no-clock trim listed, although not too sure about the quality of their GRP parts! The picture of it doesnt look brilliant.

The SJ moulding might be fine as at least it's going to be covered with trim....unlike some of their other offerings. Thanks for letting me know.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

No worries Andy, if you get the centre console cubby 3D printed then count me in to buy one?

Once its CADed I can easily do multiples. Dont expect an identical copy though as the surface texture wont be the same and the front edges likely need to be square as the printer wont be able to do a rounded edge. But the edges of the control panel are square as well so it should match quite well.

• Like 1

That sounds fine Andy, are you going to borrow a pattern or make one from scratch?

I never realised SJ did the panel without the clock, I will order one up as need to do the roof lining and sun visors anyway.

Your car will look great especially with the red interior.

Dave :)