free hit
counters
Help with Essex - Panasonic RM610 cockpit audio system - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Chris1

Help with Essex - Panasonic RM610 cockpit audio system

Its worth phoning SJ though as the non-clock trim panel is listed as for S1. But the trim panels dont seem to have changed much over the years. In the parts books the part number for the S1 and Essex panels differ but only slightly and cound be accounted-for by the S1 panels having "bare" part numbers and the Essex refers to a trimmed panel.

I think I can draw up the pattern from the photos. I am assuming the clock is the same type as mounted in the cant rail so i will need to take that out to measure it.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for the advice Andy, I will speak to Steve as need some Elan parts this week.

So for 3D printing do you need to make a pattern or can you just programme the design in?

Yes clock looks identical to me.

I have not checked my RM310 yet although it looks good, was it hard to wire up? Mine came with the loom I seem to remember. 

Dave :)

IMG_0700.GIF.46dc41b84d1ba3ad1334434b317aa57e.GIF Do or do not, there is no try! 

The 310 is easy to wire as no external amp is needed. I didnt get the harness so had to use individual 2.8mm crimp terminals pushed onto each pin of the special connector, which should be fine.

I will be fitting an auxiliary input but not sure the best way to do this yet, I might fit it to the back of the cubby hole.

There were 2 types of clock used accordign to the parts list and this is confirmed because the pictures above which show the console have the VDO clock but the clock which I removed from my cant rail is a Britax.

It seems that the VDO clock is taller. The heater control panel has the bottom sliced off in the Essex type of installation as the lettering under the control knobs is right at the bottom whereas on the standard install there is a gap under the lettering.

So I will be CADing the cubby hole/clock panel to fit the Britax clock and the standard heater control panel.

• Like 1

Very cool!  I have one to install once everything else on the car is sorted. 

Jim

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

Wow, looks brand new!

:thumbup:

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

I had an overhead cassette player in a 4WD Suzuki that I had. Nothing like one of these. I had never actually seen a picture of one of them.

Damn! They are cool. B-)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I did a first print of a clock/cubbyhole panel today.

This is direct from the printer and the surface is not great so I am going to try smoothing over with black epoxy filler and then sand and spray satin black. Should be OK.

I could run a couple more off but it is a 4.5 hour print each time!

The cubby hole is a standard potting box from CPC which I have integrated a mounting surround for in the panel so it can easily be glued in. Its not very deep but could be extended by cutting the base off it and grafting on another one behind it but I will probably leave it.

Modifying the centre console to move the heater control panel to the top without damaging the leather is not an easy task!

DSCN3447.JPG

• Like 2

Looking good Andy

How easy was it to relocate the heater control panel to where a conventional stereo would have been? 

Top work Andy - that's the business! The roof stereo is so cool but the handy work with the clock section is equally as good. Think you've just moved your car up another level there:thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardJGC said:

Looking good Andy

How easy was it to relocate the heater control panel to where a conventional stereo would have been? 

It involved Dremel-ing the plastic surround without cutting into the leather to allow the panel to sit into the unit. Without doing this the panel sat too far outward with its edges showing.

The light box was quite easy to secure by drilling new holes in the extreme lower right and left corners and screwing into the existing metal side brackets. The top of the light box I held with a metal bracket fixed with strong double sided foam tape as that was the only way to fix it without access under the leather covering.

Actually the top location is a better place for the heater controls, the large controls are easier to turn.

• Like 1

:thumbsup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

If anyone else is thinking of modding their digital clock, I found one which should fit into the original housing better:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/0-40-LED-Electronic-Clock-7-30V-Adjustable-Clock-Table-Digital-Cars-Electric-Cars-Car-Electronic/919603012.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.lpPyKs

I have ordered and will report back, its on 20-40 day delivery.

This should cure two problems, firstly the standard clock consumes a lot of current even when "off" and flattens the battery and also if a battery isolator is used it loses time. This one has an on-board battery backup.

2 hours ago, Andyww said:

the standard clock consumes a lot of current even when "off" and flattens the battery

No experienced this with the clock. The alarm I fitted did drain the battery, I disconnected it a year or more ago, and had no problem since. I have a max of a month between drives.

13 hours ago, Andyww said:

It involved Dremel-ing the plastic surround without cutting into the leather to allow the panel to sit into the unit. Without doing this the panel sat too far outward with its edges showing.

The light box was quite easy to secure by drilling new holes in the extreme lower right and left corners and screwing into the existing metal side brackets. The top of the light box I held with a metal bracket fixed with strong double sided foam tape as that was the only way to fix it without access under the leather covering.

Actually the top location is a better place for the heater controls, the large controls are easier to turn.

Andy

Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to finding out how you get on with the clock as my original does not display as crisp as it used to.....and likely to flatten my battery between runs too! 

2 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

No experienced this with the clock. The alarm I fitted did drain the battery, I disconnected it a year or more ago, and had no problem since. I have a max of a month between drives.

Thats interesting, maybe this one is faulty. I helped the previous owner of my car with a battery drain problem and we diagnosed it to the clock and no other drain was present.

Looks great Dave  .Very cool .What a great idea from new .....Good luck with the rest of the work you have in store ...Mike

• Like 1

Looks awesome Dave,  testing witht the Now 10 , what an awesome idea  :thumbsup:   

• Like 1

A

Thanks guys, I still need to do a final prep and paint of the rear where I did the cut as colour match could be better and the alloy panel I let in has a few digs as just some scrap I had in the garage. I will get this matched best I can when I go to the paint suppliers to buy the Essex blue paint. 

Mark at Stocks has given me the ICI information to get the correct blue shade mixed up after having issues himself.

Andy identified the new belt and the rest I just copied his lead so a great help. :thumbsup: I was fortunate enough to have all the loom so plug and play after, I have started scanning eBay for a cassette collection as chucked all mine years ago. My lad thinks I am ancient and rolls his eyes, being 14 he has not seen tapes! I keep telling him that all the coolest cars every built came from this period before designs all morphed into one.

I am thinking of getting the dash cubby laser cut from 10mm thick aluminium, I will do a prototype to see how it looks, again I will take Andy's lead on the potting box from CPC.

Permission given from the boss to spend another day rubbing down and removing those gold decals which seem to have welded themselves to the red paint so blisters on the way, good job we love these old cars! ?

Dave :) 

IMG_0700.GIF.46dc41b84d1ba3ad1334434b317aa57e.GIF Do or do not, there is no try! 

dear

can you showme the panasonic connection? 

i bouthgt one but i havent any conection manual.

posivie negative, speaker s.... thank you

gus