free hit
counters
Help with Essex - Panasonic RM610 cockpit audio system - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Help with Essex - Panasonic RM610 cockpit audio system

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of a factory fitted panasoinc RM610 in an Essex (or other Esprit). I have obtained a new one and it's too long so I assume you have to trim the light off hte back but I want to see how Lotus did it orginally. ALos need to see details of headlining trim either side. Was the unit ever covered in leather to match the interior or was it just eft the grey colour? Any help on this including fxing it to the roof would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

HI Chris,

The unit was not re-covered to match the trim - the trip either side was a light grey (matching the header rails).

The unit was cut about an inch beyond the third stereo panel (the panel which just says Panasonic RM610 on in (there was a higher specification version of this stereo the RM-E610 which had a graphic equalizer in this panel).

The surround is foam rubber glued onto a thin metal frame - I cut through the foam with a scapel (after careful measurement) and sawed through the metal frame with a hack saw.

I left approxiately an inch of the frame extending beyond the foam surround which I then bent at right angles (after passing through the trim above the bulkhead) and screwed to the wooden rear bulkhead.

As small black plastic panel is then glued to the rear of the stereo (where there is now a gap where the rear light used to be - now removed as you have shortened the stereo).

Wiring runs from the front of the system into the header rail (removable via screws at the ends and either side of the mirror) - the aerial wire runs down the driver's side a pillar and all the other wires down the passenger A pillar (in a right hand driver car).

Amplifier is mounted behind the passenger seat.

I ran the amplifier power from the boot battery through the rubber grommet that that handbrake cable runs through (accessible through the access hole under the sill and below the fuel tank) and into the cabin.) although there might be an easier way to run the cabling as getting it through the grommet was not easy.

I used the power (switch on and constant live) from the old car stereo - extending the wires to run to the amplifier) - however, here if you have the original amplifier it should be easier - mine needed to be re-wired as the amp was missing.

The front of the stereo console, I attached using a metal bracket which ran from the loop at the front of the cassette player and then flat against the roof before screwing to the wooden rail which runs underneath the header rail.

It needs to sit flat on the roof so the header trim can sit over it and flush to the roof - I also cut two notches in the header trim to run the wires through.

As I had an overhead clock - I had to remove this - I relocated it to a new panel in place of the old stereo in front of the gearstick.

As I still have the void where the clock went (I dont want to rebuild the header trim to the Essex / early turbo way, removing the clock, as I may want to remove the stereo in the future if I sell the car)...

I am building a little enclosure for my square ipod nano in place of the clock - which will allow me to play my music through the console (when I had it re-wired, the electricians fitted a line in for me)

I would show you photos but the car is in for work at the moment.

Steve Tryner also sent me photos in the past of the stereo in his Essex - let me have your email and I can forward you those.

Henry

• Like 1

Thanks for this information - much more thorough than I was expecting! I will pm you with my email address. Out of interest what would have replaced the standard radio if the cockpit system was factory fitted? Would it have been the clock?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Hi Chris,

Yes, replacing the radio on the Essex Esprit's or those with the roof stereo would be the air con / heater control panel and then above that (I think above) is the clock to the right and then a small storage cubby hole (as far as I can see)... I have relocated my clock to a custom panel where the old stereo was.

• 2 weeks later...

HELLO GUYS, IS IT POSSIBLE TO MAKE A MOULD OF THIS RACK? I WOULD LIKE TO PUT IT ON MY DRY SUMP ESPRIT TURBO....I JUST GET A BRAND NEW PANASONIC COCKPIT OVERHEAD CONSOLE (OLD NEW STOCK).

REGARDS

MOMO

• 5 months later...

Chris the amplifier usually sits upright at the bottom of the passenger foot well behind a wooden panel covered with matching carpet so you don't know it's down there. The wiring from the roof consul then runs along inside of the top windscreen cant rail and down the inside of the LH windscreen trim and round the back of the dash to the amp. The power is usually taken from one of the 2 fuse box's in the glove compartment.

Steve T

• 1 year later...

I suppose I meant how do they sound compared to modern stuff, we here so much about CD/DVD/DAB etc..

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Quality isn't good compared to modern stuff (it's 1970's technology) but it's ok.

Given the engine/tyre/wind noise the quality of sound isn't ever going to be a major issue.

But they do look the muts nuts  

• Gold FFM

I love mine - it is not great sound really but looks awesome.. the RM710 is the amazing one - I was looking for one when looking for the RM610 but very very rare I think... 

Would think it would be possible to make a modern version of it with fibreglass, and mounting a high end unit in it.  No good to e minfd I have a glass roof.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

I was torn between a glass roof and the stereo - stereo won out - of course if you had a targa you could have the stereo in between the roof panels... if I had a Delorean I would definitely have one between the gullwings...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

They do come up on ebay. Last one I recall went for around £1k...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.