free hit
counters
Noob photographer mistake! - Photography Matters - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Noob photographer mistake!

arbell9

Hi All,

a I learned a lesson in photography the hard way today. I had left my camera on a manual ISO setting of 3200 from some previous night time picture work. When i put the camera in auto mode today I thought that reset everything but it doesn't. I should have reset the ISO back to auto or at least back to something like 200 for a sunny day today at SCS. The end result is all my lovely pictures of fab cars are really grainy. I really need to spend more time with some camera anoraks or do some night time course to really learn how to use this Digital SLR. I wont repeat the same mistake again. Shame really as it was beautiful conditions for taking pictures.

Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Al.

Edited by Alex --GT3--

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No sweat, Alex. Publish the photos in a massive coffee table book format, and title it "New Wave Digital Effects: A Study in Motoring Excellence."

You'll be rich! :D

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I've moved this to the section dedicated to photography and also check this out - http://www.picturecode.com/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

LOL, we used to do a lot of night photography waiting up until the day time whilst in observation posts, don't be harsh on yourself its a very very very common whoops.

The camera should have an Auto ISO setting, if that helps but sometimes only works on M(anual) mode where the processor needs to know the shutter speed and apature to calculate the correct ISO.

Unless you're shooting moving objects at night just go for a tripod and a remote push button trigger, set on wide aperture and slow the shutter speed right down.

A neat trick on the tripod at night is to cover the lens with a piece of card, fire off the shutter and then remove the card from the lens - that stops the light entering the camera before the shutter has finished shaking the camera and prevents any motion blur on long exposures.

Best way to learn = mess ups.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Done it too. I was up on the headland at dusk and some of the colours were fantastic, but I had no tripod with me so I adjusted ISO to 400, and guess what the shot is grainy. I've been up there a dozen times since and it's never looked the same, I just can't duplicate the shot. :wallbash:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

You should only really be seeing grain at 800 or higher Roger, not at 400 unless your taking really, really long exposures. Again, you can use the software I linked to (Noise Ninja) to remove it. Show me the pic and I'll show you how good Noise Ninja is.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That image was taken at 1600 ISO, 0.5 second exposure, the Exif data confirms it and to be honest, all the same I can't see much noise. Here is it anyway having been run through Noise Ninja.

post-1-0-90447900-1309178910_thumb.jpg

Here I've increased the exposure on the bottom half and decreased the top half with a graduated exposure compensation filter and again run it through Noise Ninja. If you had the RAW image, this would get much better results at the jpg has already stripped tonnes of info out but it's bought out the beautiful colour of the sky at least which was being washed out from being over exposed. Trick shot all the same, such high contrast...

post-1-0-93634700-1309179467_thumb.png

Evora NA

What I liked about the shot was that there is an "eeriness" about it, you could imagine the smugglers sneaking up the beach.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

That was me, bringing in another batch of WINGS under cover of darkness! :devil:

Gnarly shot, Rog. :thumbup: What sort of tripod were you using? ^_^

Gnarly shot, Rog. :thumbup: What sort of tripod were you using? ^_^

Don't tell me you didn't get it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :no

Look what's strapped to his/her feet. :evil:

Don't tell me you didn't get it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :no

Look what's strapped to his/her feet. :evil:

Gosh, I thought it was an advert for extreme ironing.... super shot though, whatever it's trying to say/sell/be.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Yes, mates, it was another case of an "over 'is head shot [across the bow]" tripodean comment. Still trying to yank me tongue from out me cheek.

Of course, there may be a much more sophisticated explanation from our man down under than the traditional simple comparative reference to the common surfboard. Since the depicted device seems more akin to a "wakeboard," then perhaps the intended interpretation is more along the lines of...

Wake up, my 'merican friend.

I'm board [sic] with the Wing jibes* already!

*an entirely appropriate double entendre, in that jibe is also a sailing term, and boy is that guy sailing or what?

Ah yes, meanings within meanings. Nuances for the taking, though some may be a bit of a reach. ^_^ (see what I did there?)

But enough hijaking for a morning's work, lest others be mizzen the point. :X

We now return to our regular programming...