free hit
counters
newer wiper arm - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Do I have to mod the bonnet if I fit a newer style wiper arm? I belive it is from a renault Twingo?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

anyone?

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

You need to change an awful lot, including the motor I believe as the car was built around the wiper motor, it's not a 5 minute job.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Thougt it might just bolt on.

why? because the one on it constructed from paper straws or rice paper, i.e its sh!te

Amateurs built the Ark

My wiper arm as always been a problem on my Esprit since I got it. The original wiper set up had already been modified because of the pin breaking, so someone welded on a head from the new style spring blades. I didn't know this until I had to buy a blade and found out it was not original.

Since then I've modified the complete arm and control arm because the ball had worn on the control arm making it a sloppy wiper, which made in noisy and not the most efficient at clearing the screen. The new set up was a considerable improvement, but it still had problems with juddering from the wiper blade when the screen was not so wet, just a little, plus it was still noisy.

fed up with this I decided over the weekend to have another go at fixing the wiper set up. I went to the local scrap yard and just went around looking at all the cars for a decent wiper arm I could modify to use on my car, I did find one and it's worked out fine. 

I got an arm off a Peugeot 107, which has a wiper arm with a control arm set up, so perfect. Yes, the arm did need modifying, but not major work, just a little time sorting out the best set up on the car and making the changes to the arms. The best thing was I didn't need to make a two arm head unit, it was already made, the wiper blade as well was perfect because it was a 26" in length, so 2" bigger than the Esprit blade.

The wiper arm just needed a small amount of material removed from the taper to get it to fit on the motor drive, the only other thing was just making it shorter, that's all I had to do to make it fit. The control arm, again just making it shorter and for my arm, as I have new ball joint fitted for the pivot, it just needed that welding on to work.

With that all done, painted satin black again it looks great. I clear more water from the bottom of the screen, that half moon area that never gets cleared, but then runs up the screen. The longer arm doesn't run off the top of the screen, the only bit it does that at is the top of the sweep on the drivers A pillar, about 2" sweeps onto it. This can't be helped, I tried to stop it, but it then doesn't sit right at the bottom of the screen, so it's something to live with. The new arm is fantastic, quiet with no judder. It cleans the screen really well and a bigger area, also parks in the same place and no play in any of the joints.

In all the whole conversion cost me, £15 for second hand wiper arm, £17 for a new style spring wiper blade, but with a normal fitting and some time welding and painting. If anyone with the same set up like mine and needs to fix their wiper and has the skill to convert the arm, then let me know, I can provide my measurements.

here are some pictures of the converted arm and fitted to the car. the first picture shows my old arm with the modified head unit. The next arm is the Peugeot 107 arm unmodified and lastly my new arm modified to fit my Esprit. I purchased two just in case I messed one up beyond repair while finding the best set up.

11055851636_84d6dffc03_b.jpg
11055781285_46415f3bdb_b.jpg
11055934223_a315520892_b.jpg

I notice the new Toyota Yaris has a single arm with a control arm. I wonder if these could be made to fit and work?

yaris_16.jpg

Edited by OwenGT3

I am replying to this to simply bring it up the list. :D  Why would you put this at the end of wuch a wonderful job now I am wondering the same thing!!!! In the land of the rising sun there has to be many of these.

Owen, I’m going to get a Peugeot 107 arm and try and do this. Would you mind (if you can remember!) describing the measurements of where you cut and welded the wiper arm, and what mods you had to do to the actual car? Really would love to do this mod.

On 21/12/2017 at 00:05, Glyn Harper said:

Owen, I’m going to get a Peugeot 107 arm and try and do this. Would you mind (if you can remember!) describing the measurements of where you cut and welded the wiper arm, and what mods you had to do to the actual car? Really would love to do this mod.

Hi Glyn, I will take some measurements and post the details, also some detailed images of the conversion. The main arm doesn't need much alteration other than shortening it and trimming some off the bottom of the motor mount hole (107 arm pillar mount is too long). Most of the work is in the control arm and making a new base plate, as the control arm mount hole needs moving, otherwise the arm will go off the end of the screen on the drivers side.

When it's all done you can fit a 26" original wiper arm for the 107, which is the new style spring steel blade. Also you get a better clearing screen, especially the half moon at the bottom of the screen. It works very well, but like all blades nowadays, once they get some age and go hard, the blade does judder if there is minimal water on the screen. It's still a lot better than the original, especially being bigger.

I've now purchased a complete arm and blade from ebay, from a Toyota Yaris. I'm going to see how well they will fit as the arm looks like it shouldn't need cutting down to fit the Esprit screen. It was only £30 so worth the effort to see if it fits.

Hi, I've been able to try on the Toyota Yaris wiper arm on my Esprit. First thoughts are this could be an alternative wiper arm replacement. It fits on well onto the wiper motor splines, just requiring some additional washers to take up the distance to the thread. I've done no modifications to the arm and it fits on well on the taper, with about 1.6mm clearance from the base on the splines.

I had the motor running with the arm attached and it moved well, once I had sorted the washer spacers to allow the spline nut to clamp the arm. I didn't have the control arm attached to anything, but the action of the arm looked good. The Yaris has a 24" wiper arm, so the same size as an Esprit. There seems to be plenty of clearance so the arm misses the screen, also enough so the control arm runs under the main wiper arm when at full sweep. I parked it a few times on full travel and the control arm looked like it will change the angle of the blade correctly. I won't know until I've attached the control arm, for this I need to purchase a ball thread. I've measured the cup on the Yaris arm, it's either a 10mm or 11mm ball required. I've found a ball joint with thread that is 10mm, so will get one to try.

The problem with the setup seems to be when the arm is at full sweep. The bonnet when shut is hitting the arm, albeit just a small amount. As its not much and my car is going for a full respray, I'm going to remove some of the material from the edge of the bonnet, as I don't think it's a lot required to clear the arm. If this is the case, I think this will work with just a new base plate with repositioned control arm and threaded ball to complete the conversion.

As the edge of the bonnet is painted black, removing some material and retouching this shouldn't be a major job, and won't be noticed that much. I'm willing to do this to have a wiper arm off the shelf that fits with no mods to the arm. My screen has a plastic trip at the bottom, this is because the screen got damaged by the wiper arm when I had a new screen fitted, the screen sat in a different position and the wiper arm gouged into the screen. Luckily I was able to repair it, but need to add a trim to hide the repair. Although this does help with the bottom edge going milky over time.

Wiper motor splines and nut thread
27133945087_721049366c_b.jpg
Wiper arm on with splines exposed
40196182850_31abc9bcaa_b.jpg
Washers added to take up spines so nut can clamp wiper arm on splines
40196179980_01f85dc539_b.jpg
Top view of arm in park position. Note the washer jet on the Yaris arm, could possibly be used if so wished
40196186040_0602502c1f_b.jpg
Wiper arm in park position and 24" wiper blade
40196188430_1a9cdccca5_b.jpg
Again parked wiper arm with 24" blade
42003466281_021c01a85f_b.jpg
Wiper motor stopped at full travel, still seems clearance and not a problem to located the control arm. Blade also clears top of screen
28131453228_2ea5bcd87a_b.jpg
View of control arm sitting under main blade. This will sit higher once located on the ball threaded joint.
41103693755_80a0d67b95_b.jpg
Another view of the control arm under main wiper arm. you can see it touching bonnet
41959193592_eea8e46575_b.jpg
Contact with bonnet, I don't think a lot will need removing from this edge
41959196412_c094c68950_b.jpg

Bonnet contact again. I will be getting a cap also to see how this fits over the threads. It might sit higher than normal
41959200092_4d39966425_b.jpg
Template new wooden base plate for positioning ball threaded joint.
41959207812_2004771f56_b.jpg

Edited by OwenGT3
  • Like 1

Could you buy a couple of each if you can, and I’ll send you the money?

Ill try and make a nice aluminium spacer instead of those washers you have and send you one.

5 minutes ago, Glyn Harper said:

Could you buy a couple of each if you can, and I’ll send you the money?

Ill try and make a nice aluminium spacer instead of those washers you have and send you one.

I can draw up a spacer in CAD to get made, washers are just for testing at the moment. It might even need a 3D printed cover if the Yaris one doesn't fit as the threads are too long. If it all works I would like to create a kit to do the full conversion, but need to just test for now.

Another angle showing contact with the bonnet. I'm sure this will be minimal material removed from bonnet to clear wiper arm. I'm talking a small amount of filing off the fibreglass in a shallow curve.

42003468281_d62dd0e622_b.jpg

Ah right, got you. Well I’ve got the arm coming so if you do put a kit together for the rest, I’d certainly buy one off you. Excellent work!

34 minutes ago, Glyn Harper said:

Ah right, got you. Well I’ve got the arm coming so if you do put a kit together for the rest, I’d certainly buy one off you. Excellent work!

I will try what you said about the striker pins and spacing them off a little first, before removing material from the bonnet. Did you buy your wiper arm from new? Mine was secondhand costing just £30 from eBay.

Edited by OwenGT3

Sorry for my ignorance here, I've read this post before and probably should have asked sooner. My wiper works well, perhaps I'm lucky or the previous owner did some work here. Interestingly the car did come with not one but two spare wiper arms and blades.

Is there some generic fault with the motor mechanism or arm that prompts replacement with an alternative?

Presumably the motor doesn't need replacing as this would be a tough job, so is it primarily the cost of the original arm/blade that is the main factor making you look for alternatives?   

6 hours ago, DaKa said:

Sorry for my ignorance here, I've read this post before and probably should have asked sooner. My wiper works well, perhaps I'm lucky or the previous owner did some work here. Interestingly the car did come with not one but two spare wiper arms and blades.

Is there some generic fault with the motor mechanism or arm that prompts replacement with an alternative?

Presumably the motor doesn't need replacing as this would be a tough job, so is it primarily the cost of the original arm/blade that is the main factor making you look for alternatives?   

I don't know if this applies to all early wiper arms, but I have heard that they break on the wiper blade pin, it's a weak point. I think you can still get replacement pins to hold the blade, but not replacement wiper arms, so some people have sourced other wiper arms as it's a recurring problem. This is not a problem with the wiper motor, just the wiper arm.

I'm replacing mine because the original on the car when I got it, was the original arm, but with a modified head to hold the blade, for the reason I've just mentioned. This didn't last ages, I repaired it a couple of times, but I then sourced another alternative wiper arm. I got the Citeron C1 wiper arm, purchased two from a scrapyard, but they need modifying to shorten them and a piece removed from the taper mount. Also the control arm can need modifying to work correctly. Also whatever arm is fitted, the base plate needs a new one with the control arm in located in a different location.

I purchased a Toyota Yaris to see if this would fit, but I'm perhaps changing my mind again having seen another alternative wiper arm. It's another Toyota model, the wiper arm from the current Aygo, not Yaris. I visited the local Toyota dealer today to get a cap for my Yaris arm, then spotted this arm on the Aygo's. 

41972905602_910791d2d4_b.jpg

I've measured it up against the Yaris blade I have and it's the same length, but fitted with a 26" wiper blade. A 26" blade will fit on the screen of the Esprit as I used this size with the C1 wiper arm.

I've been able to source a second hand Aygo wiper arm for twenty quid from eBay to test it will work, but if I wanted a new one they are only £66.23 (Part No. 85211-0H020) brand new, so not an expensive item.

I will still need to source the ball for the control arm, but hopefully this will not be a problem. This wiper arm doesn't look as big around the mount of the arm, so hopefully will not hit the bonnet like my Yaris version is currently doing.

41972905602_910791d2d4_b.jpg

27147671557_a4e2236811_b.jpg

41972908622_c44b01573e_b.jpg

42017574391_0d9053b430_b.jpg

40210090020_371262c961_b.jpg

42017576611_201a9a7404_b.jpg

40210096380_ed6c8747fc_b.jpg

Here's a video of the Yaris arm up against the Aygo.

Edited by OwenGT3

16 minutes ago, Glyn Harper said:

Bah. Just bought the Yaris arm as well.

I think I’ll wait now until you’ve finished all your testing. :)

To be fair, I think when I first looked at the Yaris wiper arm, the Aygo was not this new style arm, it was like the Citroen C1. Early Aygo's were basically the same car, it's only these new generation ones with the new arm design, that are different, so haven't really looked before.

The Yaris arm I think will work, it's just this one looks so much better for our needs. Plus being under £70 quid for a complete arm, was expecting over £100 when I asked, we won't need to buy secondhand. I've only got a secondhand one to test, if it works I might buy a brand new one. If it all works (I've just ordered some threaded ball joints in a couple of sizes for the control arm mount), I will look at getting a batch of base plates laser cut.