free hit
counters
Air Conditioning - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I recently turned on my air conditioning on my 2002 V8 and found it wasn't working. After reading all of the threads I purchased a re-charge kit from Halfords c/w gauge and found it was well below pressure and not bringing in the air conditioning pump when I turned it on. I re-charged the system and now you can hear the compressor engage and the cooling fans start. so proving that the air conditioning systems is now working again.

My problem is that it is not blowing very much cold air out of the vents and the air conditionin systems doesn't turn on until the control knob is around the 3-o'clock position. I do remember the previous years the air condition system turned on when the control knock was at the 9-o'clock position.

Does anyone know what the problem could be with the control knob switching at a later position.

Thanks in advance

Will

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently my A/C isn't working so need to give it a charge. Not looked yet but to save me time can you tell me where the charge point is? As for your lack of cooling, perhaps another top up would improve things.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

For it to work correctly you need to know the weight of refrigerant the system needs, to little it wont cool enough, to much you can damage the system.

A good AC place will weigh the amount of refrigerant and oil it pumps into the system.

may be Lotus can tell you the spec for the system?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Currently my A/C isn't working so need to give it a charge. Not looked yet but to save me time can you tell me where the charge point is? As for your lack of cooling, perhaps another top up would improve things.

Trevor.

Trevor,

The re-charge point is approximatly in-line with the front of the engine (cam belt end) and about 200mm in from the L/H sill. If you lay on the floor and look underneath the car you can see the dust cap which screws off the re-charge point.. Hope this is of help in finding it.

Regards giving it another top up, I'm just a bit unsure if you can over pressure the sytem if you keep topping it up. The pressure reading with the engine and air conditioner pump running is still in the green zone on the re-charge kit which says its ok, however, with the air condtioner pump and engine stopped the system pressue is slighly in the red zone which indicates over pressure.

It's the position of the rotatory control knock thats got me thinking with this turning the air condtioning system on when it is nearly fully rotated clockwise. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Regards

Will

• 1 year later...

Bump!

I just had my SE filled up with R134a (1.2kg of it) thanks to a PO converting from R12. No leaks were detected right off the bat, so I'm gonna monitor the situation for a few weeks.

What I did notice is that the compressor and fans now do engage when the AC is maxed (system was empty prior to today so this wasn't possible) - however, like Will my AC compressor and fans only engage when the knob is around the 3 o clock position. At this point you hear the relay switch on, but before then, nada.

Anyone have an explanation as to why this is? I thought the AC knob was graduated and not just "on/off"

Regards,

Vanya

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

you are in the V8 section ..is the AC on four pot '91 and V8's the same ..?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Oh dear! Regassing with Halfords Specials is SO good for business...........

This is how it should be done. Replace the receiver/drier. The system needs to be vac'd for at least 30 mins to get out any remaining damp. Then the correct ammount of PAG oil is added. Then 1.2kg of gas. Too much gas and the oil won't "float" on the gas and the compressor will seize.

Get it done properly!

Me 93SE control needs to be around 3 or even 4 on the clock some days for things to go on and it is gassed properly. I would assume that the thermostat bulb that senses the temperature has perhaps lost some of its internal pressure so the switch needs to be higher than when new? Just a guess.

Edited by MikieP

thermostat bulb

..what is that ?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..