free hit
counters
new Esprit superleggera? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

new Esprit superleggera?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're only a week and a couple of days slower than your favourite news website, TLF...

http://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/the-dawn-of-a-new-era-one-year-on/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That's some guy from autoexpress in his lunch hour, most certainly not official pics. :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

"In house" Lotus V8 snarling at 9000 rpm, 600+hp, sub 3 second 0-60 time. Works for me. If they can pull this off and mind the "quality control" issues, they will have a winner.

Makes me eyes water just thinkin' about it. :B)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

With 750 engineers (if the article is accurate) under their wing, and 300 of them working on the new models, I figure they have a decent chance at producing an admittedly nontraditional (for Lotus) materials body shell. And even if they have to utilise outside assistance (not necessarily a given), then so be it. Boeing, for example, use venders from all over the globe to manufacture various parts of their aircraft, yet it's still a Boeing when the assembly is complete.

Have there been any statements by GL as to whether or not the body panels will also be in house, or not?

Caterham have used the Superlight moniker for some time, I'm not sure Lotus would rather be associated with them nowadays!

Evora NA

They weren't particularly well known for their aluminium extruded bonded chassis either.

Idd exactly!

They are known for their no-nonsense approach AND innovation. Lotus are were not famous for their copying like stupid no-brainer and to do it just the Ferrari way, just because they do it too and your paint looks better on it... :whistle:

Caterham have used the Superlight moniker for some time, I'm not sure Lotus would rather be associated with them nowadays!

Agreed, but being associated with Lamborghini is that any better? Any way we have wait and see how they are going to call it in the end. I hope it's not any of both.

Lotus has to stay Lotus and do it more cunning like they always did it in the past, and not going with the flow.

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

Why can't Lotus copy the name, everyone else has, Lambo included.

Carrozzeria Touring Superleggera started the concept name in the 50s so this is really rather old.

They can of course, but Lotus is a True British Classic, Superleggera does not exactly sound Britsih, does it?

And the word Superlight would be associated with Superlight, as Bibs already pointed out.

Edited by Exploded

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

I vote for neither too. Get above the fray and do something distinctive and classy. Of course distinctive rarely flies in these extremely risk-averse times when going with the flow seems to be so highly valued.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

SuperleggeraFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Superleggera (translation: super light) is an automobile chassis construction technology developed by Felice Bianchi Anderloni of Italian coachbuilder Carrozzeria Touring. Patented by Carrozzeria Touring in 1936, the superleggera system consists of a structural framework of small diameter tubes that conform to an automobile body's shape and are covered by thin alloy body panels that strengthen the framework. Aside from light weight, the superleggera construction system allows great design and manufacturing flexibility, enabling coachbuilders to quickly construct innovative body shapes.

The superleggera system was primarily based on the use of 'Duraluminium', a material that originated in the zeppelin industry prior to World War I.

The superleggera system is no longer used in volume automobile production for a number of reasons. Primarily, a superleggera chassis can not meet modern impact resistance standards, and the cost of manufacture and galvanic corrosion between the aluminum body panels and the steel tubular frame are also prohibitive factors. Additionally, the frame tubes used to construct a superleggera chassis are too small and of unsuitable material for mounting suspension components, a disadvantage not found in spaceframe and other chassis systems. Car makers such as Bristol, who had aircraft industry experience, were more successful in countering galvanic corrosion than other manufacturers.

Superleggera is a trademark owned by Carrozzeria Touring Superleggera s.r.l., the modern incarnation of the firm that patented the system in 1936.

Aston Martin licensed this system for the DB6 and others....I hadn't realised it was a registered trademark, so Lotus had better get themselves a license before using the term....

Edited by molemot

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

"Superleggera does not exactly sound Britsih, does it?"

It doesn't. But neither does "Esprit," non?

If they're intent upon borrowing from the language of others, Italian is not the only option:

Esprit légèreté

Synonyms, Thesaurus & Antonyms of 'legerity' Princeton's WordNet

1. (noun) agility, legerity, lightness, lightsomeness, nimbleness

the gracefulness of a person or animal that is quick and nimble

Synonyms: lightheartedness, weightlessness, insouciance, mental dexterity, lightsomeness, elation, carefreeness, high spirits, legerity, agility, light, nimbleness, lightness

le·ger·i·ty (l -j r -t ). n. Quickness or agility of mind or body. [French légèreté, from Old French legerete]

In this manner they may maintain syntactic consistency, and [likely] avoid copyright infringement as well. :)

And Lotus are known for their alloy body panels ????? Seriously

The early Lotus models used aluminium bodies. THe thing is, the current bodies aren't that light. They GFRP of the Esprit is very thick which improves the quality of the body but add weight. GFRP is still associated with cheapness and kit cars, I believe whereas aluminium is associated with aircraft, Aston Martins and other high-end cars. And it allows you to get door shut lines less than a quarter inch wide.

Odd how those people who go on most about how Lotus is all about innovation and using the best technology are the ones who scream loudest in complaint whenever there is a risk of Lotus doing something different from what it used to do.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

What is the sence in tryin to produce the fastest car in the UK ... You can't even use half the speed on any road in the UK

Why not make a proper car that won't fall apart and rattle like a piss poor kit car....and really how many of you old Esprit owners will jump on a $180K+ Esprit eh ?

I know no one that could afford the new Esprit wanting one. Hell look at the prices of used Lambos why would you want a unproven Lambo copy for more than twice the price...?

I think it's fast enough…maybe

What is the sence in tryin to produce the fastest car in the UK ... You can't even use half the speed on any road in the UKWhy not make a proper car that won't fall apart and rattle like a piss poor kit car....and really how many of you old Esprit owners will jump on a $180K+ Esprit eh ?I know no one that could afford the new Esprit wanting one. Hell look at the prices of used Lambos why would you want a unproven Lambo copy for more than twice the price...?

But I'd say most , if not all the poeple on this list aren't the targeted demographic for the new "Lotus Lifestyle" :devil:

80575_2010111602030118.jpg