free hit
counters
Dartford Crossing - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

Dartford Crossing

I know inflation is high but despite increasing the charges 50% 4 years back (it was £1 until 2007), they want to increase them another 33% next year and a further 20% the year after rising from £1 to £2.50 within a short space of time. This after they said they'd make the crossing free once it had paid for itself. Gordon Brown,you're a right twunt!

post-1-0-04046500-1309801495_thumb.jpg

Have a look and your say here...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2011-08/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you think that's bad check these prices out,I know the road is miles longer but you can get to the same place by using the A5 :shuriken:

Most of the HGV drivers still use the A5,I cant understand why they cant see if they lowered the price more would use it :tumbleweed: .

Guide Mon - Fri (06:00 - 23:00)

Sat - Sun (06:00 - 23:00)

Night (23:00 - 06:00)

Class 1 (e.g. motorbike) £3.00

£2.80

£1.80

Class 2 (e.g. saloon car) £5.30

£4.80

£3.80

Class 3 (e.g. saloon car & trailer) £9.60

£8.60

£7.60

Class 4 (e.g. van/coach) £10.60 (thats a TRANSIT van £10.60 ) I dont think so :shuriken:

£9.60

£8.60

Class 5 (e.g. HGV) £10.60

£9.60

Just had a look through the consultation. What a poorly written and badly phrased piece of crap. Fwiw, I have completed it and stated my objections, but frankly it's probably pointless. It brings to mind Ken Livingstones so called referendum on the western congestion charge extension. He has already said it was going ahead regardless of the outcome - this smacks of the same to me.

It stands to reason that the charges have to increase, someone has to pay for the environmental impact study, then if the study recommends an increase it will have to raise again accordingly.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

They're asking people for more money, there will be no environmental consideration needed and in fact it will be positive if anything as the cars will be lighter as they contain less cash!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If they want to charge that they had better resolve the 25 minute tail backs it causes. I notice the dart tag cost is lower so I guess thats what they are trying to force us all to use. As I only go over it 6-7 times a year its not worth getting a tag and I would still be stuck in the tail backs anyway.

Laura and I both have tags, is it worth it no matter how few times you cross as the balance never expires. Saves you worrying about having cash on you too. We top them up with a tenner when they are empty so it's not uneconomical. 6-7 times is currently 9-£10.50 but with a tag it would be £6-7! Not huge savings but less money in 'Le Crossings'* pockets!

*Yes, they're French!

Evora NA

Having had my shot at environmental impact studies, and the millions spent on them, that then enable the bickering to go on long enough that the study becomes obsolete so we start the hole process again !!

Any was just south of Coffs Harbour on our relativity new multi lane highway, there are a couple of strange looking overpasses, complete with vegetation and tress. In fact mini man made tunnels, these provide safe passage for wild life to cross the highway. I don't mind paying a bit extra for that, and good on them for coming up with a solution.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

When the bridge was built there was to be a charge to recover the building cost after which it was to be free. Its now been paid for six times over and still the cost goes up. :(

Born and brought up within 20 miles of the crossing I can remember when it was just one tunnel...yes one tunnel and my Dad was saying forty years ago that it was expensive. Someone is making a packet out of it somewhere and putting up the price to use the bridge and tunnels by that percentage is disgraceful.

If the A2 and on the other side the A13 weren't so busy I wonder how many would use the Blackwall tunnel or the Woolwich Ferry?

Though this be madness yet there is method in it ( Polonius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet)

Born and brought up within 20 miles of the crossing I can remember when it was just one tunnel...yes one tunnel and my Dad was saying forty years ago that it was expensive. Someone is making a packet out of it somewhere and putting up the price to use the bridge and tunnels by that percentage is disgraceful

I remember that too. I tunnel, 2 lanes and traffic going in both directions. Hardly seems possible now. It made a huge difference to journey times back then.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I blame the bloody awful Thames Barrier. All that money and engineering when all that was needed was a standard dam, with a big lock for floaty traffic, and a stonking great motorway across the top...we could have called it the M25. That way, no technological hassles in the build as dams and locks are well understood, no need for tolls as the structure is multi purpose, the whole of London becomes non-tidal and available for small boat access and morrings, like Paris.....and free flow of traffic instead of the present complications.

As it is, the barrier will be overwhelmed in the foreseeable future, and making it higher is a real pain...doing the same to a dam ought to be an easier proposition...and they could have made the thing higher to start with...no moving parts to worry about!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Dear Sir/Madam

Revisions to the charging regime at the Dartford-Thurrock River Crossing

Thank you for responding to the Dartford – Thurrock River Crossing Charges Consultation, which closed on 23 September last year.

The Department received around 1300 responses and has carefully considered all of the representations that have been made. We have concluded that the most appropriate way of balancing the need to manage demand at the Crossing and maintain the prioritisation of future improvements at the Crossing, is to retain the road user charge.

We will be increasing the crossing charge in two successive steps: first in October 2012 and second at the same time as the introduction of free-flow charging technology at the Crossing, currently scheduled for October 2014. Charges for cars and 2 axle vehicles will rise by 50p on both instances. Proportionate increases in the charges for the other classes of vehicles will take place at the same times. The Department has decided to retain discounted charges for Dart-tag users and discounts for local residents, will remain protected.

Full details of the Government’s response to the consultation can be found at http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2011-08 and a summary of the Department’s decisions is set out overleaf.

The increase in charges will enable the Department to continue to prioritise the introduction of free flow charging technology at the Crossing, and to develop proposals for a new crossing in the lower Thames area. Between them, these measures will provide a long lasting solution to the current and forecast performance issues at the Crossing.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond to the consultation and for sharing your views with us.

Evora NA

Wow. A real shocker, that.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Abridged - "That's for complaining but we don't give a f*ck, we'll do it anyway. We only asked 'cos they said we had to".

Evora NA

It's a polite way of saying a very rude word!

Evora NA

Remind me, why do we pay vehicle tax / registration. :rtfm:

Well theres a suprise. 1300 people respond to make it free like it was always going to be and they totally ignore it.

We are only a democracy once every 5 years. The rest of the time they do what they want. Not what we want. Apparantly because "We don't understand the complexities of.....what ever they are talking about increasing". In other words we are all too stupid and can't be trusted to do the right thing...

Shame they think we are all like them!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Remind me, why do we pay vehicle tax / registration. :rtfm:

We (ie UK vehicle owners) don't, we pay Vehicle Excise duty which is not used to pay for road use, it's paid in to the general tax pot. Roads and highways are commonly maintained by council tax payments.

But anyway...

According to Wikipedia:

...A fee was retained however under the new principle of Road User Charging, which had been introduced in the 2000 Transport Act to use congestion pricing to reduce traffic congestion during peak hours and to fund local and national transport schemes. Under this act, the A282 Trunk Road (Dartford-Thurrock Crossing charging scheme) Order 2002 allowed the continuation of the crossing fee, which officially became a charge and not a toll on 1 April 2003. At the same time, under the terms of the 1988 Act the DRC company was liquidated and management of the crossing was contracted to Le Crossing Company Limited on behalf of the Highways Agency. Under the new user charge regime, Le Crossing collects the charges which are set in statutory Charging Orders under the 2000 Act, with the revenue passing in full to the government for redistribution, and annual public accounts of the operation published showing expenses/revenues of the crossing.

From April 2010 to March 2011, 50,939,941 vehicles used the crossing, at a daily average of 139,545 vehicles. This represented a fall back to pre-2002 levels, from averages approaching 150,000 since the turn of the millennium. The highest recorded daily usage was 181,990 vehicles on 23 July 2004.

On the 13th of September 2009 the contractors of the Dartford River Crossing (Le crossing) changed to Connect Plus M25, which again is made up of a consortium of Atkins, Egis, Skanska, and Balfour Beatty.

Regardless of what you call it it's unfair and extortionate for those that live near and/or use the crossing on a regular basis.

although a whole lot cheaper and sometimes even quicker than using the Blackwall Tunnel or the Woolwich Ferry from where you are Laura :handy:

Dave.

We used to live in Bexley so had local resident Dart Tags which meant 20p a crossing. Even now it's only £1 and that isn't going to rise. Everyone should have one.

Evora NA

The Blackwell tunnel doesn't have a toll or charge but the cost of the diversion in petrol probably doesn't equate to a saving!

Even the Dart tag has proposed increases of £1.33 then £1.67, it's cheaper but still a rip off.

The Blackwell tunnel doesn't have a toll or charge but the cost of the diversion in petrol probably doesn't equate to a saving!

I knew that, knew that you knew that I did, and knew that you knew it too - was that for Roger? :fun:

Woolwich Ferry has a bucket!

Dave.