free hit
counters
Cop crashes at 90 when he sees speed camera! - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Cop crashes at 90 when he sees speed camera!

Also there have been various comments about police patrols, years ago there were reports that having been stopped by police for speeding most folks say.."you should be out there catching real criminals not me"

Can we please stop now before its starts to get personal, as we seem to have exhuasted both sides now, we all have our own opinions

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes indeed and therein lies the point...

Esseentially, there are a great many people here who don't feel that speeding is actually that big a deal.

This is both borne out and proven by the FACTS.

Whereas it is being presented as if there is some kind of mass murdering, child killing, satanic pacting, epidemic of road fatalities. This is patently untrue as road ccident levels have decreased every single year and have actually started to decrease less (think about it) since the implementation of cameras and reduction of meaningful patrols.

It is very easy to dig out a bereaved family as a result of ANY mishap / misadventure and then try to tilt the debate on your favour (Leah Betts - nuff said!) but unfortunately accidents happen and that still doesn't change the facts.

The current approach towards road 'safety' is a completely skewed debate that has little to do with the REALITY of the situation and going by the current level of education would appear something like:

90% Speeding

9.5% Drunk driving

0.5% chav kids playing on level crossings! :(

The REALITY of the situation is actually:

8.4 out of ten pedestrian deaths are as a direct result of their own somnambulant stupidity

and just

1 ONE in ten are as a result of speeding

(and then I guess a half a percent for playing on level crossings!!! :) )

There is no getting away from that reality

I'm not necessarily a believer that the camera issue is necessarily one of revenue (although it's a HUGELY welcome bonus to policymakers) It is far more a case of that they need to be SEEN as doing something about road safety - and to pay for massive education campaigns and police patrols is very expensive and requires the diversion of resources. Cameras are automated, self funding and have the nice bonus of raising a bob or two into the process.

You then wheel out in front of a bunch of cameras, some old dear whose little Johnny has just been flattened by some twat doing 90 outside a school and make out like stopping the speeding will make all the children safe. Hey Presto! Road Safety policy. I've seen it a zillion times. This however has little to do with the reality of the 'dangers' of the road.

As for getting personal, I'm perfectly capable of debating an issue rationally and have not once resorted to any kind of personal attacks. I don't need to when I'm right! :( lol :D

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Robin actually has flashing lights on his trousers anyways but one to remember.

On a side to partnerships, I was working close with one in feb time due to a lot of them being vandalised (stop, no more info) the thing was the guys were saying how much it cost to replace them (figures of

facebook = [email protected]

Interesting how this debate has developed whilst I've been rolling about in the channel en route from Brighton to Shepperton - and jolly splashy it was. 15 knots and 50 degrees of roll each way, not to mention pitch, and having to close the throttles frequently to prevent becoming even more of a submarine; forecast said nothing about force 6 gusting 7 off Dungeness. Great run ashore in Ramsgate, though; true target rich environment! Back to Speeding. Or as I prefer to call it, Driving Quickly. My Great Grandfather was run down and killed in his nineties; he stepped out in front of an electric milk float that he didn't hear. Speed had no bearing on that; he just walked in front of it. Kinetic energy being 1/2 MV squared, even though it wasn't fast it was jolly heavy and did for him. All this concentration on speed misses the point; if pedestrians don't wander (often drunkenly) out into the road, they won't get hurt. I am cheered up a bit by some of the more recent Road Safety ads. which make this point; instead of having the dying pedestrian saying some twaddle like "If only he'd been doing 20 instead of 30 I'd still be alive" they now say "I wish I'd looked first!" Very true. Surely the best result is to AVOID contact between car and pedestrian, which is best done by training the pedestrian to be very careful before they step into the road. It is their decision to do so; all of us will have spotted a pedestrian about to commit suicide by wandering aimlessly off the kerb into the road, doing the crossword or prattling inanities on a mobile phone. We spot them, we avoid hitting them, they often don't even notice. Life goes on. My point once more: going fast in the right circumstances is quite safe; how fast is too fast cannot be set in stone, like all of life "it all depends".

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I thought we were originally talking about speed limits and their enforcement on the open road not in town. If the limit is over 50, any pedestrian hit by a car travelling at the limit is a goner anyway.

On motorways there should be no pedestrians anyway.

If road safety was such a high prioroty why is the driving test not much more difficult so only people interested in driving would get one and those who want to travel from A to B while eating, reading, doing their makeup or whatever and being completely oblivious to what is going on around them would not. Wouldn't give an immediate imprvement in safety but should give a long-term improvement.

Those that cannot get a licence would have to resort to public transport so that mught make a profit and give decent service.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

There are some people who should never EVER be allowed to drive.

I think if you fail more than (say) 3 times you should be forbidden from trying again for (say) 5 years...

If yuo fail more than 6 times ever then you should never EVER be permitted to drive...

As for that stupid stupid cow Maureen from driving school who failed over FIFTY times... She was finally given a license :P

_1590309_mauplate150.jpg

...and her long suffering husband - he needs to be introduced to the word d-i-v-o-r-c-e! (Just ask Dolly!)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Driving is becoming seen as a"right" rather than a "Priviledge". Once reaching the legal age,everybody now expects a license and a car. Much the same has happened in aviation; it used to be that the truly inept student pilots - and I'm talking civilian flying club types, not military - were taken aside by the Chief Flying Instructor and it was gently suggested that golf might be a preferable pastime. Nowadays, there pervades a "I've paid my money and I want my license" attitude. I understand that is becoming unusual for candidates for a private pilots license to pass all the test requirements in one go - they get to do the bit they failed again until they pass it. So the general standard deteriorates - as has happened on the road; resulting, I suppose, in all the petty restrictions from which we now suffer, imposed to stop the inept from damaging themselves and others whilst doing something they shouldn't have been allowed to do in the first place.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein