free hit
counters
Cop crashes at 90 when he sees speed camera! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Cop crashes at 90 when he sees speed camera!

http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?Sec...ticleID=1507535

What a twat, hope they bang him up*! If you can't drive fast, don't...

*Invariably he'll be let off with no punishment bar perhaps a reduction in his donut allowance!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?Sec...ticleID=1507535

What a twat, hope they bang him up*! If you can't drive fast, don't...

*Invariably he'll be let off with no punishment bar perhaps a reduction in his donut allowance!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

this event is for a French a typical English humour story :huh:

don't worry we have also story but without humour :blink:

"Aut tace aut loquere meliora silentio" Salvator Rosa when 25 years old National Gallery London

If the bloody stupid speed camera hadn't been there, chap would have continued safely on his merry way. A true tale of accident caused by speed camera; it's reasonable to assume that the policeman involved is a good enough driver to overtake slower moving traffic safely. Would have thought he'd have known there was a camera there, though, if it was his patch.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

In fairness a lot of traffic guys I know HATE speed cameras and share the majority of the public's views about them...bit like traffic wardens. Tad unfiar to judge but I know guys that when you put them in a uniform and give them a badge (number) and they act like they are above the law when they should be leading by example !

Driving at that speed whilst not on an emergency call is not acceptable. Also by all acounts it's wasn't a response vehicle (usually the Skodas or the Volvos which are designed to go at that speed and above). His reaction also makes me wonder what driver level he is ? Unless you're certified / trained to drive at breakneck speeds you shouldn't actually be doing them even on response calls....public safety 1st.

A lot of scameras only have flasher units in them....how gutted would he be if that was the case here ?

facebook = [email protected]

If the bloody stupid speed camera hadn't been there, chap would have continued safely on his merry way. A true tale of accident caused by speed camera; it's reasonable to assume that the policeman involved is a good enough driver to overtake slower moving traffic safely. Would have thought he'd have known there was a camera there, though, if it was his patch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Errm, Rubbish 'A true tale of accident caused by speed camera'. Nope he made the decision to beforehand to bury his right foot in the carpet NOT the camera. If there were no cameras this guy could well have been 'crusing' for miles at 90? Looking for a car full of people to hit rather than a central reservation?

The law says that is the speed limit on that road if you don't like speed cameras and speed limits have a chat with your MP.

How people can honestly believe roads aren't overall safer with speed cameras I don't know. Recent research has demonstarted a slight but overall significantly reduction in excess speeding on all types of roads in the past 10 years (this on free flowing not traffic congested roads). That's an average reduction of energy that is NOT going into every average accident result more people live, that less damage to any of your friends or relatives who may be unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident in the future. So what does it matter if there is the odd speed camera accident as people get used to them as they get educated to a proper 'within the speed limit' driving style.

I certainly drive a little slower than I did in most conditions, much less 36 MPH and lots more 33 MPH and that's with a clean licence for the past 12 years. It's certainly safer with lots more time to respond to road conditions when I need to. Maybe it takes me a minute or two longer to do a journey who cares what does that matter in the bigger picture. Especially when maybe there is some young kid that I might just miss at some stage in the future rather than wipe out! Speed camera accidents? well its a none argument. I'm not speeding enough to worry, beyond maybe lifting of the accelerator for a few seconds.

I visit Blackpool occasionally and that is like 'speed camera city' cameras everywhere. I guess it comes from the night life at weekends and the large number of none locals/visitors knobbing about recklessly in cars. The result? No one bothers speeding up between cameras anymore they have decided it isn't worth the mental aggro of remembering to slow for the next camera. They just go everywhere at 29 MPH! Feels a bit weird at first but actually it's very relaxing... reminds me of being on a canal boat holiday...

Maybe a lot of the anti speed camera argument is a Southern thing and people just need to chill there life styles down a bit and get a grip on life.... At the end of the day its only villains who drive over the limit a lot of the time that have grounds to hate them... for anyone consistently respecting the law its a none issue. You would never hear people saying there are too many police patrolling city centres and housing estates late at night would you? Its only the Baddies that would moan if that was the case, I don't see a difference with speed cameras.

Speed cameras used to raise money? Don't be so soft! Stick to the speed limit no fine no points. Break the limit your nicked fine and points and rightly so.

Councils reducing speed limits in areas to raise more money. Cobblers, reduce speeds you reduce accidents simple empirical equation. What is an acceptable level or road death to let you get somewhere 1% quicker?

Jeff H

Edited by jeff_hooper

They just go everywhere at 29 MPH! Feels a bit weird at first but actually it's very relaxing... reminds me of being on a canal boat holiday...

If I wanted to go on a canal boat holiday I would!

I drive a supercar and with a clean accident record in 15 years of driving I feel personally a fairly competent driver.

There is a world of difference between speeding and inappropriate use of speed. I could have been driving my 150mph+ car on that road and braked safely before that camera. The cop doesn't/didn't know how to control his car, inappropriate use of speed.

Speed cameras, not a revenue generator? Bahahahaha!!! Find me figures on what the govt make from them for the last, say, 5 years? Good luck! They govt are too embarrased to say! They made over

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I actually spend quite a lot of time cruising along at 10 kph on the French inland waterways. Jolly pleasant it is, too; I also enjoy utilising, safely, the performance of my Esprit Turbo. I do not understand why anyone with vehicles such as ours would not want to drive them quickly. If you want to drive at 29mph, buy a Fiat Panda.I've got one of those, too, for shopping trips. There is nothing inherently dangerous in driving quickly. Driving too fast for the circumstances IS dangerous, but speed limits cannot reflect the circumstances pertaining at the time. The difference between outside a school at the end of the school day, or at 0500 in the school holidays, for example. Or the difference between a dry road and one covered in mud. It's all down to the skill and judgement of the driver; the problem is, no-one cares about skill and judgement any more, the nanny state just wants everybody under the thumb, do what you're told and don't try to think for yourself.

I agree that the chap could have been cruising for miles at 90mph; quite safely and with no inconvenience to anybody. We've all been doing that for years,without leaving a trail of corpses behind. I commend the website of the Association of British Drivers, where there are cogent arguments based on fact, not propaganda and prejudice.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The UK has both now and for decades, had one of the lowest accident rates in the Western world. It is a myth that we are in the depths of some kind of child killing epidemic and 84% of road pedestrian deaths are caused by the pedestrians making mistakes.

I would say I am a much more dangerous driver at 30mph than I am at 40mph as I switch off.

Travelling at 30mph is not capable of keeping me alert and I am far more likely to have an accident.

I accept the damage done at 30 is less than the damage that would be done at 40 but it's a trade off between the likelihood of an accident (30) v level of damage (40)

I as do MANY other drivers pay FAR less attention to the road when I am around speed cameras as my eyes are glued to the speedo hoping I don't go over 30. At least when I splatter some ped, I won't get nicked for it as I would have been within the law... I bet they'd rather I was paying attention to the road and capable of compensating for their mistake to keep them out of hospital though!

The debate has become hugely skewed and there are a VERY large number of people with agendas who wish to make driving as unpallatable a prospect as humanly possible and speed cameras are one facet of that.

There will always be the nervous driving, afraid of their own shadow, 'think of the children', interfering types who think the entire world should be wrapped in cotton wool. Unfortunately, they have been given all the power at the moment by a bunch of anti-car tree hugging hippies.

The argument that speed cameras are proven to work is hollow as they have not at all. I n order to place a camera you need a certain number of accidents at a location within a prescribed time.

It is easy to meet those criteria yet if examined over (say) the previous 20 years, they may have only been met ONCE in that time... You then place a camera at that location and lo and behold... the accident rate returns to the average for another 20 years.

It's called regression to the mean and is a form of statistical analysis which is moderately complex but ultimately necessary to get a TRUE picture of the impact of cameras.

Yet it it NEVER done as the establishment have no interest in being portrayed in the media as complacent when all the red tops have to do is dig up one of the statistically INEVITABLE accidents, show a picture of some kid with their schoolmates before they got splattered by chasing a ball into the road and lo and behold - local outrage.

Cameras are automated and very easy to deploy and as such are a VERY quick, easy and lazy way of making it look like you're trying to do something about accident rates (which were as I said, already among the lowest in the developed world!)

If people were GENUINELY serious about reducing accidents then there would be a TOTAL BAN on drinking and driving and a massive, *meaningful*, continual, road safety campaign targetting PEDESTRIANS.

The accident statistics have consistently fallen for DECADES - even before cameras! <_< Interstingly, the rate of fall has SLOWED since cameras were introduced, so the amount of improvement is worse[/d] post cameras then pre! :huh:

Oddly, we all survived before cameras were deployed and we would continue to do so without them.

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Hehe the old speed scamera thing again.

As I said in another post the technology, money and means are there to make sections of road and accident hot spots TOTALLY safe...however if this was done the installations would not make any money.

On a whole I agree with the principal but not with the implementation (as per usual). As I say if safety was the prime issue it could be achieved through means that already exist....it doesn't becuase safety is not the main object of these sites....revinue IS.

I had an idea to mount on of those 'your speed' radar displays infront of every speed camera so you had the clear idea of your recorded speed.....why wont they do it ? Becuase the cameras wont go off and no prosecutions made, so what price can you put on a life....about

I'm a great believer in keeping any discussion simple.

Sorry speed cameras are NOT for revenue - that's just a lame and weak tabloid press excuse people have grabbed hold off. 'Yes, lets blame the authorities - its all there fault, although I might have been speeding just a bit and maybe I was breaking the law but hey, its not my fault, it can't be? Its all there fault for catching me, it was totally unfair of them, they were surposed to be looking the other way!'

Keeping it simple be grateful they are bright Yellow, singposted and generally fixed in known locations. I have never really understood why they should be I think as enthusiatic drivers were are getting of very lightly. It a bit like going shooting and after stalking some animal from downwind with great skill and care you stand up to reveal your dayglow orange jacket, waving your arms in the air and shouting 'I am about to shoot you'..

5,000 people a year get killed on british roads (I heard last week - might be wrong). If speed cameras in the long run bring that down by 50 they do seem to have a real place and that place is just about anywhere people speed which is just about everywhere. Research is showing a statistically significant reduction in road speed as I mentioned in my last post. This is being attributed in a large part to speed cameras, so with 5,000 people a year dying and speed often a significant factor then put simply - speed cameras good dead people bad.

When it comes to people dying. I really don't care where they put speed cameras or what happens to the money that's not the point the speeding motorist is the issue.

Keeping it simple - stop moaning about them and either get enough points to be taken off the road or start respecting the speed limits a lot more.

Jeff H..

As an aside I was thinking in a V8 you have about 2 seconds to enjoy yourself in a 30 zone and a whole 5 seconds or so down a motorway slip road (assuming your moving at a modest speed when you join... At other times you might be able to explore some of the handling but again your stuffed if Plod decides to take a dim view of your enthusiastic driving style. I know we all limit ourselves to those all too brief few seconds of fun don't we... Anyway the Reverend Mother says I have to go to evensong now... bye all..

Edited by jeff_hooper

Jeff - Have a look at this...

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/index1.html

FACT: Speed cameras statistically increase accidents in roadworks on motorways by 55%.

FACT: More people are killed in accidents at 20mph than at 30mph.

I refer the the sites tagline 'you can't measure safe driving in miles per hour'

Evora NA

Jeff - Have a look at this...

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/index1.html

FACT: Speed cameras statistically increase accidents in roadworks on motorways by 55%.

FACT: More people are killed in accidents at 20mph than at 30mph.

I refer the the sites tagline 'you can't measure safe driving in miles per hour'

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL had a look but very sceptical. I'd prefer to stick to stuff that has a credible source, has been peer group reviewed and gives me enough data on how the figures were arrived at so that I have a good base from which to draw my own conclusions. I am highly sceptical of bare facts that I can't investigate and do a little study myself as to how they we arrived at. Especially when they are bare fact that contradict common sense and are used to support some pressure group.

The recent Autocar article is an example, anyone reading that in isolation will now know for sure that later V8's have 400bhp.

Drivers making mistakes causes accidents and they can do it at any speed, speed just puts more energy into the accident when it happens and reduces the amount of time the drivers have to try and avoid the accident just before it happens.

Jeff H

(Oh I love a good debate)

Edited by jeff_hooper

Statistically Jeff, that's not correct - PEDESTRIANS cause accidents.

The vast majority fo pedestrian deaths are caused by pedestrian error - a massive 84% (iirc)

Now of course there are road accidents but the moajority of thhat statiscitc you quoted is accounted for by pedestrian accidents.

So I repeat - If they were GENUINELY intent on reducing accidents there would be a massive public education campaign on pedestrian road safety.

That however is a lot harder to do than simply plonking up a few automated cameras and claiming you're trying to reduce fatalities.

As I said above - you need to read about regression to the mean theory and see that the so called measures of effectiveness of these cameras is huugely flawed to the point of being meaningless.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/rttm.html

Gnomes Save Lives! <_<

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

....there are lies, damn lies and statistics...

people interpret data to prove their own points, lol yes i can believe its pedesrians who may make silly mistakes but as drivers we need to be always aware of other people, and since we are the ones in potential killing machines then we need to drive sensibly within the limits, it may not totally stop fatalities, but at least they can't point fingers at us and say its our faults cos we were speeding :)

i know ppl will disagree, some may even agree...thats the point, we all have our own opinions and everyone is entitled to them plus we should be able to voice them....

it may be a case of agreeing to disagree in the nicest possible way :)

The vast majority of pedestrian deaths are caused by pedestrian error - a massive 84% (iirc)

Now of course there are road accidents but the moajority of thhat statiscitc you quoted is accounted for by pedestrian accidents.

So I repeat - If they were GENUINELY intent on reducing accidents there would be a massive public education campaign on pedestrian road safety.

That however is a lot harder to do than simply plonking up a few automated cameras and claiming you're trying to reduce fatalities.

As I said above - you need to read about regression to the mean theory and see that the so called measures of effectiveness of these cameras is huugely flawed to the point of being meaningless.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/rttm.html

Gnomes Save Lives! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh come now! LOL now apparently its all the pedestrians fault LMAO...

Tell you what, lets wait 10 years then all the people who have 6 or 9 point now (or who's girlfriends and wives have taken enough points on there licences they have said no more!) will have either slowed down or been banned (maybe a few times) or are unable to afford the insurance on anything that will even get to 60.. There is a longer term filtering/training element with speed cameras that people choose to ignore - cos they don't like it.

THEN we can stand back and look at some Dept of Transport statistics, we can look at how the figure were collated and arrived at, we can look at them covering a long period... The truth one way or another will be self evident..

I'll mention Blackpool again.. so many cameras, local people have been trained and they don't bother speeding back up anymore between cameras, they just drive around at 29 MPH everwhere! If you don't believe me book a holiday there and try it its amazing.

There is no way you can convince me after driving around Blackpool and getting used to how it all works that it HASN't reduced actual RTA fatalities in the area. Speed = more energy = less time to react = more damage to people...

Jeff H

I know one guy who picked up 9 points in a few weeks and doesn't drive anymore - sounds like a win for road safety to me. And another mate who admits he is always late for meetings and rushes and does drive a bit silly at times but now with 9 points and a girlfiriend (a slow sensible careful driver!) who has 6 points! he is really scared of loosing his licence and has turned into driving test man! Sounds like another win for road safety to me. Funnily enough one has had a couple of car write off in his past, but of course they weren't his fault... No fatalities to date, and maybe no more writeoffs and no fatalities in the future - if he continues to drive how he is at the moment...

The Truth about speeding - clicky :):)

Technically it IS their fault, they are in the road !!!

The fact of the matter is once you leave the foot path you enter the domain of the savage motorist. Road for cars, footpath for people.

Sadly some chap got killed in Maidstone not only a week ago, knocked down on a 'S' bend, car hit him and he smacked his head too hard :(

Whilst I have ALL sympathys, I do see pedestrians doing this ALL the time. I walk to work and every junction I get to I ALWAYS stop and check 2-3 times (mainly cus I have my headphones on) but the fact remains :

1) Not all road deaths are speed related

2) People sometimes make bad decissions

I've said it many times before, the only way you will stop speeding is NOT through 1000-2000 speed cameras dotted about the UK but :

1) RF link from a lamp post to the car to the speed limiter

2) GPS tracking which warns you 5mph over then automatically punishes you everytime

3) Hundreds of thousands of speed cameras covering all the roads

I highly suspect the last 2 wont come into force.

The 1st is very easy implement, and I repeat, AGAIN, why wont they do it ? Becuase it wont generate enough revinue, yet it's virutally fool proof.

Blackpool ? Big deal. Most towns the average speed is WELL below 30mph anyways. Example takes me nigh on 10 mins to cross Maidstone (about 2 miles), whats the point, you can't speed for the conjestion anyways. It has speed cameras as well - so on the statistically most dangerous part of the road you should look down and check your speed....why not put one of those dippy 'your speed' signs up ? Cus then the camera is less likely to go 'Kaching!' when someone goes through it at 33mph (the bloody outlaws !!!!! should be deported !) - thats why people have no respect for the 'partnerships' - nuff said. No-ones succesfully argued that one to me yet, and I have put that to the Kent partnership when I was working with them in Febuary.

Luckily the ones in Kent are set a good percentage up which is fair enough (most 30's will only trigger on 40) but you get that welsh knobber (wait...I'm welsh ! :( ) who sets them to the absolutle limit :(

My overall concern is not the cameras becuase they don't catch me, it's the fact that every year more people everywhere (population growth) and the % of injuries will stay about the same (where you can't speed, you speed elsewhere) - and I think it'll just lead to more and more rediculous control measures that wreak driving for the VAST majority of normal, good drivers out there. I'd rather see more police patrols....but you've guessed it they're much more expensive so it's all down to money again, not saving lives.

It's in action already and been proven to fail in the past....anyone remember the great gun ban...look what that did for gun crime ?

of approx 500000 people who died in 2004 in the UK, about 5000 were in someway related to transportation accidents.

But here's a horrifying stat: about 3000 people died from falls! I'm shocked that the gov't hasn't required UK citizens to take standing lessons, get standing licences, issue standing limits and put cameras in accident spots all over the country to catch and fine people found to be off balance.

Oh don't go on about that !

I've just done my working at heights course, we're now kitted out with full harness and safety ropes, rescue system etc for working at anything over 2 meters. Needless to say we can't really do our job effectivly now.

There's a huge crackdown on working at height safety, I think the VAST majority of fatal falls were caused at under 2 meters and it's the most common cuase of death in the workplace or something :)

Be illegal to get out of bed soon.

Oh come now! LOL now apparently its all the pedestrians fault LMAO...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, quite frankly, YES it usually is. About 7 times out of 8. I am afraid Jeff that this is unarguable. (see incontrovertible proof later...)

I'd rather see more police patrols....but you've guessed it they're much more expensive so it's all down to money again, not saving lives.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jon has absolutely hit the nail on the head there.

...and I have said as much in both my previous posts.

Police patrols are expensive. Proving other offenses is harder and things like drink driving (which is now on the INCREASE as people know that due to speed cameras and lower road policing levels) are less likely to be caught

Speed cameras are automatic and self funding and that is absolutely all there is to it.

The quote about statistics is just that Im afraid, an amusing classic but mere glibbery when it comes to unmanipulated data and usually pulled out to dismiss something damning.

There is absolutely NO GETTING AROUND the fact that according to the Department of Transport's own figures that *84% of all pedestrian Deaths are the fault of the pedestrian, so I repeat once again that if there was any genuine sincerity about reducing road fatalities, there would be a massive road safety campaign aimed at PEDS not drivers.

* Transport Research Laboratory report 323 (DoT report) Broughton J., Markey K.A., and Rowe D. (1998)"A new system for recording contributory factors in road accidents" <-- Inconterovetible evidence I'm afraid - go and look it up :) I am sure I could probably get a copy from the Department, the House of Commons Library or the TSO via the Order Office.

(oh and of 77% of adult pedestrian fatalities at night are drunk)

According to the same official report, excessive speed is responsible for just 10% of road traffic accidents.

We can't be held responsible for, or have to live our lives on the edge of damnation, due to the darwinian actions of the stupid.

Death is just as much a part of life as living it. Life is inherently dangerous and quite frankly, shit happens!

No one WANTS to lose someone and no one sane WANTS to take another person's life but accidents DO happen and such is the way of the world.

If I f***ed up and wandered into the path of a driver (as well may be the case, the amount I am distracted on my walk from the station to work, due to the Daily Crossword) I would not want the poor sod who had the misfortune of having his car's bodywork taken out by my stupid body, being persecuted for something that was not his fault, regardless of his speed.

Maybe we should ban crosswords? They distract me, the pedestrian and as such, am the biggest cause of pedestrian fatality, so perhaps I ought to be prohibited from puzzling while ambulating? :)

Death is just as much a part of life as living it. Life is inherently dangerous and quite frankly, shit happens!

No one WANTS to lose someone and no one sane WANTS to take another person's life but accidents DO happen and such is the way of the world.

my sister is a member of the amblance service, see has seen many an accident now.most of them have been ' i just didnt see him' (not paying attention to the road)

luck has it see did not have to go to the one on monday, the life support m/c was switched off on wednesday. her boyfriend crashed his car, was he speeding NO, he had a stroke and crashed - plain and simple.

stop going on that speed cameras are the beall and endall of road saftey. they are NOT.

forgive me for rambling but i am very pi##ed off and upset, and having to read compleat drivell from a allegid v8 driver is not helping

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

stop going on that speed cameras are the beall and endall of road saftey. they are NOT.

forgive me for rambling but i am very pi##ed off and upset, and having to read compleat drivell from a allegid v8 driver is not helping

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been following this thread and no one is saying that speed cameras are the only way to go, just one way of making ppl aware of the speed limit for that area...(and don't start on me about that, ppl will ignore a normal speed sign if they think they can gat away with it, cos they feel they are good enough drivers to go faster) the cameras round here are mainly the ones that flash what the limit is and then give you ample time to slow down...the camera isn't on all the time.

And to be honest i see cameras in built up areas where the limit is 30 and where you will get a greater number of ppl (who may or may not make stupid mistakes)

Also there have been various comments about police patrols, years ago there were reports that having been stopped by police for speeding most folks say.."you should be out there catching real criminals not me"

Can we please stop now before its starts to get personal, as we seem to have exhuasted both sides now, we all have our own opinions

ps i only stand on a soapbox to give me more height :D