free hit
counters
Top Gear - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Top Gear

Any good?

I enjoyed Rowan Atkinson, didn't realise what a toff he was but nice time round the lap. I though the train thing was a bit rubbish though and could have guessed the ending before it started...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they'd do more of the "Buying a ..... car for £x" and a series of tests. Theres loads more they could do on that theme.

But apparantly they do have a limited budget so once they do a rubbish thing like the train they have blown much of the budget.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Its all the same,

Race a fast car round the track (usually an Aston)

Blow up a caravan.

Have some one drive car round track

End

I wish they would actually do some car reviews about real everyday cars, not £100,000 + cars.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Didn't they do that last week with the hot hatches?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Except even one of those wasn't a hatch!!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I used to enjoy 'Top Gear' but the laddish behavior affected by the terrible trio just puts me right off it now. Clarkson has to come out with an offensive remark three times during the run of a series in order to generate enough free publicity to boost viewing figures. I couldn't even be bothered to change the channel on Sunday night.

Shame.

Alan

I generally find its a balance between 50% not bad at all encompassed by 50% twatism.

Clarkson is just not funny when he behaves like an oaf and Hammond is just window dressing for a 4 foot idiot who deserves a kick in the bollox.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Did anyone else notice RA's reaction to some of the questions JC was asking him, in particular the " can you just say a few words like petrol pump or Bob in your silly voice"?

I am sure you could almost see the speech bubble above RA's head which was " Just who is this clown I am being interviewed by?!"

RA may play the fool on TV and on film but he is no fool in reality. Bet Clarkson doesn't hold an MSc from Oxford ( or if he does it is an honourary degree).

Edited by IanQ

Though this be madness yet there is method in it ( Polonius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet)

Last weeks was excellent, back on form and I actually warmed to Vettel much to my surprise.

I would describe last nights train piece as crap, and as someone else mentioned the fire was hardly the biggest surprise.

Regarding the presenters, Hammond annoys me the most now - I havealways liked JC and he can do no wrong in my book (sorry).

As Kimber said the "buy a car for £xx" are always good which is probably one reason why I liked last weeks so much.

I would still rather have a bad TG than no TG at all though.

Edited by Nelly9000

I wish they'd do more of the "Buying a ..... car for £x" and a series of tests. Theres loads more they could do on that theme.

But apparantly they do have a limited budget so once they do a rubbish thing like the train they have blown much of the budget.

Wholeheartedly agree and what a boring an irrelivant train bit that was. A train hitting a caravan - well, what a surprise! At least they decided not to completely wreck a convertable XJS.

Next weeks (I think) should be a goodun. Lots of Lambos.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I don't watch it anymore for the reasons stated above, its all childish humour and pratting about, which is fine but its always predictable and i'm very very bored of it now.

On the other hand, i've only caught a couple of episodes of 5th gear, but i've found them to drive and test more realistic cars for most enthusiasts to own which appeals more to me, nothing wrong about doing a show about supercars, i'm just not that fussed about them (lotus aside). One i did enjoy watching was VBH taking an mx5 round a track with an owner and comparing it to a modern one etc, verdict was they got it right the first time...and 5th gear does have VBH!

I fail to associate the relevance that other crap programme are a definitive measure and yardstick to a programme on the slide with rubbish content, that also borders on crap!

:question:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

He hasn't been mentioned...so I'll do it....I will happily watch James May any day. He seems to be the sole remaining TG presenter who tries to present a car programme, rather than some slapstick ho-ho nonsense. Also the other programmes he does are always worth a watch....I loved the Toys programmes; building a Meccano bridge, a Scalextric track around Brooklands and the 00 gauge train between Barnstaple and Bideford. The sort of bloke one could happily have a pint with and hand a 3/8 whitworth spanner to.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

He hasn't been mentioned...so I'll do it....I will happily watch James May any day. He seems to be the sole remaining TG presenter who tries to present a car programme, rather than some slapstick ho-ho nonsense. Also the other programmes he does are always worth a watch....I loved the Toys programmes; building a Meccano bridge, a Scalextric track around Brooklands and the 00 gauge train between Barnstaple and Bideford. The sort of bloke one could happily have a pint with and hand a 3/8 whitworth spanner to.....

Not to mention any guy that farts in his spacesuit at 70,000 ft is OK by me!!! (6:00) :devil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHOX3deFhbw

Think the programme was good.

was only saying the other day that I was surprised that RA had not been on before!!

It must be a bit daunting to go on there as a petrol head and a good amatuer race driver to think that one minor error and your tumbling down the board to people who don't even like cars and are there to promote there film/book/show!!!

Top Gear does seem to have run low on ideas but still makes good Sunday night entertainment.

Wow! Paul, thaat was eloquent!!

I'm sort of gobsmacked to be honest. Are you sure you own a Porker? :innocent:

I would suggest a "Buy a family Hatchback for £1000" or "Buy a British Sportscar for £10,000" (They've done Italian for that amount). How about You have £4000 to buy a car suitable to do a trip to Italy and back. let them chose the best car for carrying, speed etc etc.

Not that they'll listen to me or anything.