free hit
counters
Vince Cable goes for a spin in an Evora... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Vince Cable goes for a spin in an Evora...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep British Company, financed by Malaysia and run by an Italian, Makes you so proud

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Italian?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Though Danny was, any way his not British.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

He was born and grew up in Turkey matey :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Your point is always more interesting when you share it...

Evora NA

Dont think Lotus as it was back in the 70's can be compared with the Lotus that exists today.

Back then, owned and run by a Brit(obviously Colin Chapman) almost the entire workforce was British and all of the engine design,construction and assembly was done in England.

Of course Lotus used foreign components (Citroen transaxle and Cibie lights from France, Dellorto carburettors from Italy, BBS wheels from Germany etc), and as Mark B pointed out retained the services of Ital-Design to style the Esprit.

Today what do we have?

Malaysian Ownership, Turkish Swiss as a CEO, Italians and Germans running various departments and engine development and aero dynamics being done in Germany and Italy.

With the rumours that certain models are to be produced in Austria, it Looks like Lotus is getting less British by the day, despite Bahars liberal use of the Union Jack.

Sad (for me anyways) I feel bad for the engineers and employees who will be loosing or have already lost their jobs as a result of the current Lotus management policies, I feel the end result of this new Lotus era will be a "faux" Lotus that will contain little If nothing of the past that made Lotus the iconic company that Dany blah blah keeps banging on about.

155074.jpg.

Edited by billy fish
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Today what do we have?

Well we have an exotic car company in Norfolk employing a large number of british people in skilled jobs which is trying to greatly expand its range of cars in a difficult economic climate.

Malaysian Ownership, Turkish Swiss as a CEO, Italians and Germans running various departments and engine development and aero dynamics being done in Germany and Italy....With the rumours that certain models are to be produced in Austria, it Looks like Lotus is getting less British by the day, despite Bahars liberal use of the Union Jack.

The company would be employing no british people today if Johnny Foreigner hadn't got involved, and would more likely now be the site of the latest Asda hypermarket.

(Sorry - I just had to put the other side of the argument!)

And frankly, I don't give a damn what the nationality of the people in the management team are. I'm only interested in whether they manage to turn Lotus into a company with a future or not; something still impossible to answer for the next 24 months.

I agree I don`t really care who runs Lotus as long as they`re sincerely committed to its growth...but (and I will sound like a cracked record on this one), the troubles afflicting Lotus are only part of a much wider dysfunction in British manufacturing stretching back 30 years. Rover was the highest level casualty but British industry has long lacked a strategy for long-term investment, sustaining the brand over shareholders` and executives short-term greed.

Compare and contrast the economic history of BMW, starting out with bubble cars and building from there. Japan is even more instructive...

.....And UK Government responses ? Nil, zilch, nothing, from Thatcher onwards through the tenure of various estate agents-sorry Prime Ministers . Compare / contrast German Governement concern this year over the social consequences of an Opel buy-out from GM. Before the victory of greed disguised as efficiency/value for money/so-called free enterprise That well known bearded tree-hugging lefty Sir Edward Heath took time out to nationalise Rolls Royce Aerospace engines -nowadays who would bat an eyelid if Pratt and Whitney bought it out ? BMW bought RR cars, Kraft bought Cadburys etc. Philosophically its the decline of Social Democracy and the rise of economic neoliberalism. I shall now post the following symbol: :offtopic: